Bricklayer work - various locations?

Guest V&G

Hi

We're still very much undecided as to what area we want to head for - the main criteria are:

1. year round warmth (dont mind tropical rain!)

2. affordable housing - we are looking for min 4 bed + 2 bath + pool up to AU$450k

3. WORK!! unfortunately although I intend to "pack it all in" Graham will still have to work to keep me & the kids in the lifestyle to which I am going to become used to!! No, seriously we do need to work out there as a little too young to retire.

We've looked at WA - Geraldton, NT - Katherine & now looking at Cairns - surrounding areas as the houses here seem to be lower prices that the other two areas - is there something we don't know?

Any advice - tried loads of websites but bricklaying jobs don't seem to be listed. Loads of friends tell us that brickies are in demand pretty much all over Oz but they don't advertise as it is a case of turn up and ask! Graham has a great track record having only worked for two employers in the past 18 years since he finished his apprenticeship so he has "staying power" and would prefer something permanent.

Any ideas or do we need to wait til we get there?

Also, lots of home loan sites & books refer to various offers for first time buyers - Does this mean first time buyers in Oz or first time altogether? Although we're selling our main residence to move, we're keeping a house/business in the Channel Islands when we move so won't even have sold everything ?

sorry this is really long - i've got so many questions I should split them up and add one a day so as not to bore everyone to death immediately !!!!

Guest Missiemo

Hi

We are heading to the Victoria region as the government sponsored my hubby for his skill of being a bricklayer.

If you go onto http://www.vic.gov.au, you will find links which have shown Builders work in the past, but I think they come and go quite quicklyso we are just going to email CV's two weeks before we leave so they can view my husbands skills.

The grant you get is as I understand if you are a permanet visa holder and if you are a first time buyer in Oz.

Take Care

Missiemo

Hi Missiemo

Thanks for the info - why did you choose Victoria?

Not that I have anything against Victoria - it looks fab just that we really want somewhere warmer! We live in the Channel Islands now so are used to warmer summers & winters than the UK anyway & still find it far too cold here!

Great news that you're all sorted and on the move soon - would you keep us informed of the job situation when you get there?

Many thanks & all the best

G&V

Guest Missiemo

Hello G and V

Yes we will keep you informed of the job situation, hope all goes well for you guys.

Stay in Touch

Mo

Hi Missiemo

Thanks for the info - why did you choose Victoria?

Not that I have anything against Victoria - it looks fab just that we really want somewhere warmer! We live in the Channel Islands now so are used to warmer summers & winters than the UK anyway & still find it far too cold here!

Great news that you're all sorted and on the move soon - would you keep us informed of the job situation when you get there?

Als, I've just spotted that you're an accountant - are you having your quali's converted to AU ones? I'm part-qualified & can't decide whether or not to try & get my finals in this year before we go or not to bother and maybe just study in Oz when we get there to get them finished - any tips?

Many thanks & all the best

G&V

Hi.WE are crying out for brickies here in Perth.Also look at Mandurah loads of work no brickies.Paper full of them. 8)

Guest Missiemo

Hi Sue

Thanks for the tip, does the paper also cover Victroria as that is where we will be living, any other info wiould be much appreicated.

Thanks

Mo

Guest ABCDiamond
Hi Sue

Thanks for the tip, does the paper also cover Victroria as that is where we will be living, any other info wiould be much appreicated.

Thanks

Mo

A link for some newspapers in Victoria:

http://community.newsmedianet.com.au/home/groups/group/index.jsp?groupid=2

There are currently 33 local papers in the Leader Community Newspapers coverage for Victoria.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived