Cat transport costs ?!

Lauren82

Hi Guys,

Over the last few days we have been gathering quotes for taking our cat Chloe to Adelaide with us.

The quotes we have been getting are based on London to Melbourne and I am starting to get information about an onward flight to Adelaide for her too.

So far I have quotes from

Airpets £1275

Par Air £910 (+$390 for import permit) ~£1165

and

Pet Air Silver £883.32 package or Gold £1678.32 (although I think I only need something in between silver and gold - Lol!)

Anyway my questions to you...

In your experience are their any hidden costs I should be aware of.

I know quarantine is not included and will cost approx £600+ !?

Airpets and Pet Air both state 'application for import licence' on the quotations... does this mean just the application and therefore the cost of import licence ($390) is not included???

I have been given approx costs for Chloes Melbourne to Adelaide flight to be $280ish does this sound about right?? - I also read that inbound flights cats can travel as luggage allowance so maybe it would pay me to fly there and collect her to bring her back!?!?

Chloes off to the vets in the morning for her flu jab and microchip. Poor girl doesn't know what she has in store :( but couldn't leave her behind.

As always, any information/help/advice will be much appreciated.

Thank you!!

Guest coolchickclaire

Hi Joanna,

I am taking my 2 fur babies with me too and have also been hunting around for the best prices. I rang air pets but found the woman quite offish on the phone which put me off straight away! I contacted Petair who were really helpful and I have decided I am going to use them. I have decided to do the gold package as this includes everything and they do it all for you so you dont have to stress about anything, the even pick the cats up from your house and keep them in the cattery for one night before there flight the next day, the pick up from the house is included in the gold package. We are sending our cats over 3 days before us, I don't think I could relax having them on the same flight! Another tip, I don't know if your cats loves alot of attention but you can hire someone to come into quarantine 3-4 times a week to play with them and groom them and just give them a bit of affection. Its about $300 for the month. I think the quarantine staff are really good but dont have time to play with them etc that why there is this service available, apparantly they send you pics etc and phone you to tell them how they are etc. Just gives you a bit of peace of mind. Its stressful enough I can't stop worrying about it but I am sure they will be fine, so many people have done it and had no problems! :biggrin: Claire

Lol! Its ok, I quite like the name Joanna. :)

I rang Pet Air and Air pets and had quite offish experiences with both of them, thats the only reason I got the Par air quote. Probably just me looking for more reassurance than they could give me.

Chloe isn't a good traveller in the car (I doubt she'll like the aeroplane either) so I think we would prefer to drive her to them before she travels. We live in Tyne & Wear so that will save us £300 doing taking her ourselves anyway.

I also think we will send Chloe the day before us and we may fly to Melbourne to see her before we head over to Adelaide. Not sure if that messes with our visa though as we are SA state sponsored.

Do you know the company who does the visits you mentioned? I think I would be interested in that service.

Do you know from Pet Air if the they include the import licence fee? as it only says on their quote application for import licence... or am i just reading too much into this now.

Have you come across any hidden extras?

When do you travel? Best of Luck with the move.

Guest coolchickclaire

Hi Lauren,

As far as this email reads the gold service includes the application for the import license where the silver one doesnt, so I think with the gold everything is included except the quarantine fees. We were told we have to pay an upfront fee of 25% of the total cost and then can pay the balance a week before we go if we like so didn't think that was too bad.

The company that does the cat cuddles is http://www.dogwalks.com.au, I sent them an email and they got straight back to me and said its not problem they offer a cat cuddle/play service. You have to pay before you go and fill in a form to send quarantine to say you give permission for them to come in and see Chloe.

Were off in August, my husbands in the Navy and we are going to be based 2 hours south of sydney. Really looking forward to it now.

Good luck with your move to, give me a shout if you need anything else.

Claire :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

I bought my Siamese cats with me and used Golden Arrow in Shropshire who were excellent. I dropped them off there and they were shipped to Perth (Byford quarantine station) where i was allowed to visit regularly. I think the price they quote is generally the price you get charged, i reckon its around 1000.00 per cat all in with quarantine fees, shipping, permits, flea treatment etc. which Golden Arrow did for us.

I dont regret bringing them one bit and feel that i settled down better here with them being here than them being left in the UK where i would probably have fretted more for them than the other way round lol! :jiggy:

Archived