Any Speech and Language Therapists?

Definitely more job opportunities in rural areas - but as a NQT you may find it very difficult as there generally isn't much in the way of support / professional development. I know of inexperienced SLTs who have to manage pretty much on their own, with only distant support via video link etc.

It was a good few years ago that I applied for 'eligibility for practising membership' with SPA, so someone else will have more of an idea re how long the application process takes these days.

In order to work here you don't have to be a paying member of SPA if you work for a not-for-profit organisation or for government health (equivalent to the NHS). You do need to be a paying member if you work privately, either for yourself or as an employee for someone else. What you must do whether you work privately or not, is apply to SPA to recognise / approve your UK qualifications before you can work here. This is called being 'eligible for practising membership.'

I'm a bit unsure what the term 'registered' actually means in this context?

I don't think there's any point applying for jobs until you have either practising membership with SPA or eligibility for practising membership.

Good luck!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the responses, really appreciate it!

Naomi, thanks for the information - it has helped to clarify a couple of things for me. I plan to submit my application to SPA immediately after qualifying in July so hopefully if I submit all the right documentation I may get a response before we plan to move in October. If not I may have to just take my chances, move out there with my husband and hope that things progress when I'm there. I suppose my biggest fear is to have worked so hard for 4 years for my career to then end up out of a job and unable to practise. I suppose emigrating will always have its risks and pitfalls and with me being newly qualified I feel like I'm taking a huge risk. Although very promising to hear that I may be able to seek work in rural areas should this be an option to us (provided I am eligible for practising membership).

I am probably confusing being 'registered' with the process here in the UK whereby we have to register with HCPC to practise. I didn't know if the registration with SPA held a similar importance?

Thanks again for the advice - there is so much to consider before moving out there and the wealth of information can be pretty confusing. It is reassuring to talk to someone who has experienced it all!

Alana

Hi Alana

I am a UK SLT planning to move to Oz around May time.

I think you need to be a certified member of RCSLT (ie have your nqp competencies completed) in order to apply for the Mutual recognition agreement which would entitle you to work in OZ. Have a look at the SPA website for mutual recognition agreement information. It is a lot of hassle doing the application for that at is about £300 to apply. They are also fussy about the dysphagia experience and usually make therapists gain more before giving them eligibility to work there so I would suggest getting as much dysphagia experience as you can.

The majority of the jobs I've seen want at least two years experience. Saying that though there have been ones advertising for new graduates. Again most of them want you to be SPA registered but not all. It sounds like you will be more flexible if you're going on your husbands visa as you won't have the pressure of finding sponsorship if planning to stay long term.

I am planning on going on the one year working visa as it seems pretty impossible to get sponsorship prior to relocating and therefore I'm hoping it will be easier once over there.

let me know if you have any more questions. I'm happy to help. The whole process is very tedious and I found it difficult to find the information I wanted.

Good luck!

Hi Irishborn

Thanks for your reply. I am not able to apply via the MRA route so I have to submit a hefty 'complete application' which involves submitting a portfolio of evidence to demonstrate how my qualification and training meets CBOS requirements. Its a very complicated (and expensive) way of doing it, but Im going to give it a try. The SPA have been quite helpful upto press and haven't indicated that i won't be accepted as eligible. I hope my dysphagia experience will be enough but I will be prepared to carry out additional dysphagia training at queensland uni if needs be. I signed off most of the kings college dysphagia competencies during my last placement and have an ALD commmunity placement for 8 weeks in Febuary so I will aim to get as much experience as possible.

I am prepared for the long road ahead and can only hope that by submitting a strong and thorough application I may eventually get there.

Thanks again for the responses, I am very grateful for your support and advice. I will stay in touch to let you know how I get on. Good luck once you get there Irishborn! Hopefully the process of getting work once there will be more straight forward, I'd be interested to know how you get on.

Many Thanks

Alana

There's no Australian equivalent to registering with HCPC. I find it a bit scary that inexperienced Oz therapists can set up their own private practise as soon as qualified and do what the hell they like. I've encountered some private SLTs over here doing completely inappropriate therapy because it's what parents ask them for because it's what they erroneously think their children need. (There's lots of excellent private therapists here too!).

Oh yes I had forgotten about that route. I have heard that once applications are submitted they do give quite specific feedback and advice about what to do if the application is not successful.

I have been in touch with global health recruitment (the link is above thanks to Naomi) and I feel more positive about job opportunities after speaking to them so I recommend getting in touch with them when you have qualified. They have permanent and temp posts in different locations and also help with securing visas I think.

Did you say you're planning on going to Queensland? There it's a legal requirement to be registered with SPA but you probably know that already!

anyway yes it would be great to know how you get on and I will also keep you posted! It's nice speaking to other people in the same boat.

good luck with the rest of your studies

• 6 months later...

Hi all,first of all,thanks for the thread, there is loads of useful information here, but I am trying to unpick the whole picture from what is written here (as several people have said, its very hard to find information out there!)

Ive been qualified for 3 years, working with children. As a first goal, it sounds like I need to get my dysphagia competencies up (this is something I hope my work will help with).

Secondly, what is the type of visa needed to work in Oz as an SLT? It looks like some people have gone on the working holiday visa, found a job and then transferred, do you then get the same kind of visa as you would apply for in the uk, or is it a different one?

Is there a difference between organisations offereing you a job and offering to sponsor you?What are the two different kinds of visa for this?

Where did people look for an SLT job a) in the Uk before leaving or b) when they got there?

On the working holiday visa, is there any restrictions to the type of job you can have? If you are eligible for SPA, can you work as an SLP on the working holiday visa?

How long did the whole applying for SPA and applying for a visa take? I am working on a bit of a tight schedule! (am 30, so need to get the working holiday visa this year!)

Any help is much appreciated :) Laura

Hi Laura,

I think there may be others who can better answer your questions than me, since things have changed since I came over, so hopefully someone else will come along and provide you with more up to date information.

I got eligibility with SPA in 2009 and came over temporarily on a working holiday visa without a job. I applied for one advertised in the local paper once I got here. Whilst here on my working holiday visa, my employer at that time did offer to sponsor me (i.e. organise and pay for an employer sponsored visa so that I could stay in the country and stay working with them), but I needed to go back to the UK at that time as I'd taken a career break from my NHS job, which was waiting for me to return to.

I then came over again permanently on an independent skilled migrant visa (subclass 175) in 2011, having secured a job before I left the UK. This employer also offered to sponsor me, but since I'd spent the last year whilst in the UK applying for and being granted my 175 (which I don't think exists anymore, it's now called something else and the application procedure has changed), I didn't need to take them up on this.

I'm glad I came over on a skilled migrant visa, since it entitles me to live here no matter who I work for, and what work (if any!), I actually do. An employer sponsored visa ties you into working for that employer. It's also easier to do things like get a home loan if you are a permanent resident with a permanent visa.

The only WHV restriction I can think of is that you can only work for any one employer for up to 6 months at a time. So if you come over for a year, you wouldn't be able to spend the whole year working for the same employer.

It doesn't take long to get a WHV, just a few days, but it can take a while to get eligibility from SPA, which you need in order to work as a SLT over here. I'm not sure what the time line would be now, but it took me over 6 months to get eligibility in 2009. Having got eligibility, it took the best part of a year to get my 175 in 2010/2011 (I'm not sure how long it takes people these days though).

Private employers and some not for profit organisations may offer to sponsor you, but I don't think that the government health care system (equivalent to the NHS) would do so - you would probs need to already have your own visa to work for them.

If you're looking to work whilst on a WHV, or to come over on an employer sponsored visa, I recommend contacting the allied health recruitment agency Global Health Source - http://globalhealth.com.au

You can also search for jobs on Seek.com and government health websites, such as NSW health (http://nswhealth.erecruit.com.au).

Good luck!

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I’m hoping this thread is still live (fingers crossed!)

I've found this thread really useful as there is NOTHING anywhere else about moving to Australia and working as a Speech Therapist out there so thank you whoever set it up- its been really useful.

If I've understood right, I just need to contact the SPA and ask for edibility to work out there, not pay anything and apply for the Mutual Recognition Agreement between RCSLT and SPA? I’m going to be travelling for 5 months in January and my aim is to eventually stay in Australia and work. Ideally, I would like to work in the city, potentially in a hospital (acute sector). Am I in dream land (even about the city bit?)!? It would be really good to hear about the job prospects these days if anyone knows? I’m not sure where I will settle yet- I’m thinking travel around and stay wherever it feels like home!

Thanks,

Katie

Hi Katie

You will need to contact and pay a fee to SPA to see if you are eligible to work out here, part of that process involves you sending SPA a portfolio of evidence of your degree and registration etc and they check whether you meet their dysphagia competencies. If you look online there is a form you need to fill out and it will tell you what you also need to attach and send. I would recommend doing all that paper work before you leave for Australia. I started mine in October and it came through in December and then I went to Oz in January, travelled a few months and then worked in April. You need to do this part in order to work out here, this basically gives you the right to work here or not. Applying for SPA registration is different (its the equivialent of being an RCSLT member) some practices require it and some dont its no compulsory but in order to be a member of SPA you have to go through the above eligiblity process first.

I think the job prospects are good espically if you have years of previous experience.

Hope all of that makes sense! Good luck!

Laura

Hi Everyone,

I’m hoping this thread is still live (fingers crossed!)

I've found this thread really useful as there is NOTHING anywhere else about moving to Australia and working as a Speech Therapist out there so thank you whoever set it up- its been really useful.

If I've understood right, I just need to contact the SPA and ask for edibility to work out there, not pay anything and apply for the Mutual Recognition Agreement between RCSLT and SPA? I’m going to be travelling for 5 months in January and my aim is to eventually stay in Australia and work. Ideally, I would like to work in the city, potentially in a hospital (acute sector). Am I in dream land (even about the city bit?)!? It would be really good to hear about the job prospects these days if anyone knows? I’m not sure where I will settle yet- I’m thinking travel around and stay wherever it feels like home!

Thanks,

Katie

Both of those are really helpful- thank you.

I spoke to someone at the RCSLT the other day and they explained that the MRA only lasts for a year- does this matter as after that year, I will have a letter saying I am elligible?

Katie

• 1 month later...

Hello, as Katie said, it's great to see this thread as there's so little info out there'! I'm from thr uk and hoping to move out in a year or so, initially just for the year. Especially thanks Naomi for all your help! Think all my immediate questions have been answered elsewhere in the thread, but wil keep an eye on it! Actually do have a couple of qus:

the working with children check-take it this is the equivalent of a DBS/crb check? Do you need a job to get this done, or can you just to get it done when you arrive in oz? Is it expensive?

a couple of people have mentioned medicals-is this to get any kind of slt job, or just part of getting a more permanent visa than the working holiday visa? Many thanks!

Hiya, I think this thread is only still alive because I sometimes notice that I get an email when someone adds to it (I expect others do too). I would defo like to see more British SLTs over here :)

Re: the working with children check - costs about $80 and only takes a few days to process (at least that's all it took for ours), so if I was you I'd wait until you have a job offer and then apply for it, since if you're very lucky your employer might pay it for you. (Mine did, but they said that they wouldn't pay for it to be renewed in 5 or so yrs time).

Re: medicals - I think it's very common, if not standard (?) for Australian employers to send you off to their preferred medically place at their expense for a general ticky box exercise before they employ you. If you're applying for a permanent resident visa, you'll need to pay for a medical as part of the application process, I think you can get this done in most major UK cities (someone's making a lot of money from this!). So these are two unrelated medicals. I don't think you need any kind of medical to apply for a WHV, at least I never did a few yrs ago.

• 2 months later...

Hi all!

Such a useful forum! I have been looking for information on applying and working in Australia as an SLT and found so little.

I am looking to ask a few questions relating to application.

I am Looking at doing the Auckland University Dysphagia course as I have seen it's accepted by the SPA. I have very limited experience in dysphagia and want to know of any other courses available?

I am currently working for the NHS in a mainstream team. I have seen courses such as Mancester but it is required you have a supervisor to sign off practical work in dysphagia and I have no opportunities in the mainstream team for this.

I will ask if there are any possibilities of me getting some experience within the borough somehow but feel it is unlikely.

Anyone who has made the MRA please give me some advice I will be making it at the end of this year. I will be moving out at the end of 2016 and hopefully working in Sydney.

I will have 2 years of experience with primary school age and I hope to carry on with this age group but open to other options.

Really keen to get the application right first time!

Thanks in advance!

Hannah

Hi Hannah, I think any info from my own experience of gaining MRA is probs out of date now. I'd ring SPA and try to speak with someone relevant directly. Some people have been able to prove that they're their sufficiently competent in dysphagia using evidence from their UK undergrad course alone, whilst others (including me) have had to submit evidence from being on the job. It all seems a bit inconsistent!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All,

Glad to read this forum....I am sooooo confused about the possibility of working in Oz and even if it will be a viable option!

I am an SLt currently working in the UK. I have 3.5 yrs experience & have completed my Dysphagia post-grad (I have certificate etc - hoping this is enough!!).

I have experience of working with adults with learning Disabilities, mental health issues as well as neurological conditions.

Myself & my fiance are getting married in July this year, we are then beginning our extended honeymoon in August, travelling through sri lanka, india, nepal, SE Asia before getting to Oz in probably around April/May 2016 - so roughly this time next year.

I was hoping that while in Australia I could do some SLT work. I was wondering about the MRA, I'm worried that if I apply now before I go, then it will be invalid by the time i want to work in Oz. So I dont know when id best to apply but think it will be hard to do once i am not in the UK?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, the RCSLT are really lacking in terms of the advice/info they are able to provide!!!

Hi, I'd ring SPA (phoning seems to be better than emailing), and ask them for an idea of their current time frame and whether you're likely to be successful with your MRA application (I can't think why you wouldn't be). Maybe you could get your application ready, then submit it whilst you're away on your travels depending on how long SPA think it will take to process. Whoever's at your Uk address could then just forward the watermarked SPA eligibility document to you when you've got an Australian address (employers will probably want to see the original copy).

You should be fine to get approved my MRA with your experience and your dysphagia post-grad. My application took about 3 months to process once I sent it off from London. If you post your application before you go on honeymoon in August - say it takes 2-3 months to approve, then approved by nov-dec, I think you have then a year from once it was approved to start working as an SLT in Oz, so it should be fine, but just double check that on the SPA website that you have a year to play with. Look on the Speech Pathology website and look up the MRA section, they should have more information than the RCSLT about this.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

So I've been granted my working visa and am looking to work as a speechie for the year. Does anyone know if I can qualify for my second year visa by working as a speechie in a regional area or will I have to do farm work?

I'm aware I could get sponsored but would like the flexibility to move around employers if needs be.

Thanks

Katie

Archived