Bridget Jones's Guide to Moving Overseas

surflen22

Ok guys and girls, I've not posted since I arrived and, to be honest, I'm happy about that. It's a different person writing this from the scared little mouse who boarded that flight to Perth.

Let's have a little background...failed engagement (sucks to be him :biggrin:), miserable time in Ireland & London and generally unhappy about life. In my mid-twenties, I'd done my 2 year WHV and loved it. Started my PR application but said Irish fiance came along and, well, things changed (doh!).

Within a couple of years the relationship broke down and our shared dream of returning to Oz was over - I had been relying on him to be the PR applicant.

6 months later I picked myself up (pathetic I know :wink:). My Australia dream was foremost in my mind and, despite the economic crisis in Europe, I became fixated. Approx 150 Seek ads later, a positive result. A skype interview followed (note to self...next time, change out of Mickey Mouse PJ's...you never know when they might want the webcam turned on!) And eventually a job offer :biggrin: The 457 apps went in and 8 days later I had a visa. Cue mayhem...boxes, suitcases and shoes everywhere! I flew out 10 days later with the rest of my belongings to follow.

And this is what I think is the important stuff:

- remember that you are in a different country. Things work differently here

- don't fight the Aussie way of life....its way tougher than you! Embrace it, its fun!

- Don't limit yourself to PIO or ex Pat friends. That will not make it easier to settle.

- Appreciate the differences. We can all learn from them.

I have integrated pretty well into WA life and, had I not previously spent time in SA, this would have been surprising. Once again, I have found the Aussies to be nothing but friendly, welcoming and helpful...as long as you treat them with the respect they deserve.

And more importantly, I'm not Bridget Jones anymore :biggrin:

Ladies...and gents...emigrating/moving/relocating....whatever you want to call it, is never easy. Take a bit of time to think of you motivations AND your goals before you make the leap. Don't expect it to be like home with sunshine.

Guest siamsusie
Ok guys and girls, I've not posted since I arrived and, to be honest, I'm happy about that. It's a different person writing this from the scared little mouse who boarded that flight to Perth.

Let's have a little background...failed engagement (sucks to be him :biggrin:), miserable time in Ireland & London and generally unhappy about life. In my mid-twenties, I'd done my 2 year WHV and loved it. Started my PR application but said Irish fiance came along and, well, things changed (doh!).

Within a couple of years the relationship broke down and our shared dream of returning to Oz was over - I had been relying on him to be the PR applicant.

6 months later I picked myself up (pathetic I know :wink:). My Australia dream was foremost in my mind and, despite the economic crisis in Europe, I became fixated. Approx 150 Seek ads later, a positive result. A skype interview followed (note to self...next time, change out of Mickey Mouse PJ's...you never know when they might want the webcam turned on!) And eventually a job offer :biggrin: The 457 apps went in and 8 days later I had a visa. Cue mayhem...boxes, suitcases and shoes everywhere! I flew out 10 days later with the rest of my belongings to follow.

And this is what I think is the important stuff:

- remember that you are in a different country. Things work differently here

- don't fight the Aussie way of life....its way tougher than you! Embrace it, its fun!

- Don't limit yourself to PIO or ex Pat friends. That will not make it easier to settle.

- Appreciate the differences. We can all learn from them.

I have integrated pretty well into WA life and, had I not previously spent time in SA, this would have been surprising. Once again, I have found the Aussies to be nothing but friendly, welcoming and helpful...as long as you treat them with the respect they deserve.

And more importantly, I'm not Bridget Jones anymore :biggrin:

Ladies...and gents...emigrating/moving/relocating....whatever you want to call it, is never easy. Take a bit of time to think of you motivations AND your goals before you make the leap. Don't expect it to be like home with sunshine.

A great post, a good healthy attitude, very best wishes for the good life here in Australia :notworthy:Susie x

Guest guest30038

Bloody good post! You'll fit right in.

kev

PS.............Are yer knickers as big as Bridget's ?

bridgetjones_bigknickers_thirdfilm.jpg

Archived