ASTHMA Medication and asthma in general

Guest MattandSarah

Guest MattandSarah

I have posted this question in another forum so sorry to those of you that are reading it twice!

Hi All, hope someone can give me some advice. Our daughter has severe asthma but its controlled really well with drugs. Her symptoms are more season induced - a winter cold goes to her chest and makes her ill etc, she also suffers a bit of anxiety induced asthma when she is upset.

Has anyone got any experience of a child with asthma and how their condition has been controlled in Oz. We hope the dry conditions won't make it worse and assume the trade off for the cold weather will help if it does.

The next question is whether the medication she requires is covered by medical/full insurance. Its a price we are more than willing to meet but just wondered what the siutation was.

Thanks very much

Sarah, Matt, Niamh and Charlie.

Guest suzanne

Sorry this is not a reply to you but I have just posted this elsewhere and was glad to hear of someone else in a similar situation.

My son has asthma triggered by cold weather and house dust. (No, i'ts not because I hate house work!) It is one of the reasons for going to Oz though as he does not seem to suffer as badly when we are camping in France.

Can anyone comment on their experiences with their asthma in Oz.

Has it been eased by the warmer climate?

Does the general dusty nature of some areas affect them?

Has anyone been stopped from going when it has come up in the medical report?

I keep waking up in the middle of the night with questions! Hubby and kids are starting to believe I am serious about going!

thanks for support with other queries

Suzanne

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lisaomalley

HI Sarsh, Suzanne and anybody else worried about asthma in oz.

We moved to Mornington peninsula - melbourne 6 months ago. Our son (8) was born 12 weeks early so he has had cronic asthma for years. He was admitted to hospital numerous times per yr in the uk, mainly as the temp dropped and it got damper. He was under a consultant at the hospital and was on 3 inhalers daily as well as steroids when his brething started to deteriorate. The 2 weeks before we left the uk he was sent home from school 3 times and suffered 2 attacks. Sorry for going on but I wnated to tell you how bad his condition was.

Since arriving in melbourne we have not had a problem with him at all. He still takes his preventor daily but does not require his blue inhlaer on a daily regualr babsis as before. He plays sport and is always energetic and we have had a drop in temp here due to Autumn but we haven't had one problem.

I am still at the stage where I miss things back in the uk but if his health stays like this its been the best decision EVER.

I was so paranoid in the uk about hoovering for dust mites, leaving his widow open and bedding back. Giving him pyriton daily, wrapping him up with vests, scalves, gloves etc when all i should of done was got our butt over here sooner.

hope this helps lisa x x

***IF ANYODY HAS ECZEMA LIKE I DID WHICH COVERED THE WHOLE OF MY PALMS, WITH CRACKED SKIN AND BLEEDING HANDS..THIS HAS ALSO COMPLETLY CLEARED FOR ME AFTER 2 WEEKS WITH NO CREAM JUST GOOD OLD SEA SALT***

Guest ABCDiamond

Eczema that needed treatment like this ?..

eczemabandaged_small.JPGThis was my daughter in the UK, covered head to toe with the creams and bandages, when younger. Totally cleared up now. :D

Guest lisaomalley

I DON"T KNOW WHAT TO SAY!!!

Did you find that your daughters eczema cleared up once she arrived in oz, i have spoken to people since being here who too have found either themselves or their children have cleared up since arriving.

Mine was no where near as bad as your daughters, but no matter how much cream, moisturising i applied it wouldn't clear- but here i don't even apply cream i just make sure i put my hands into the sea weekly, sounds silly i know but it seems to be working.

Bye for now lisa x x

Archived