British Gas engineers please read!!!!

mdmx33

Good Evening guys

I'm in the process of applying for my TRA assessment. I have sent a letter to my human resources department but i know they will only send me a very basic reference back as they are so unhelpful. Are there any guys on this forum who have worked for BG and have gone through this process in the last few years. Any advice you may have or wish to share you experience i would be most grateful. I did an apprenticeship with was 12 months at college then on the job training and mentoring. I started this training on the 03/10/03 and was promoted to fully qualified engineer 01/04/07.

Any help guys no mattwer how small would be useful

Thanks in advance

Kind Regards

Nick

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Nick

Most large companies will only provide a basic reference these days. Have you a work colleague/supervisor who could provide you with a reference?

Kate

I'm still awaiting for reply fom our HR dept, i guess as long as i can get reply saying they only give standard references then get manager to give me a personal one fom himself and maybe one from a work colleague also.

Im not too sure if its o'k but maybe try writing one yourself with all the job info/training etc. for your last x years and then give it to the HR department or your old manager or someone like that to verify it for you, put a header and signature etc.

Basically you do the hard work and they sign it as true.

• 1 month later...
Guest zildogh

I'm a BG gas engineer also, does anyone know if once you have passed the TRA how long it stands for? do you have to use it within a certain period or does it stand forever?

Has any of you got over there yet? whats it been like?

Guest Joy Please

Hi Nick,

HR usually IS like that. They never want to dig out old cases and spend time on ex employees. You need to politely compel them to issue you the reference letter.

1) Prepare a 1 page reference letter with details of the job responsibilities that you performed. Include all specifics that the ACS/DIMIA reference guidelines mention.

2) Contact the managers with whom you worked during your employment. Tell them about your motives - that you need help for migration. Request for confidentiality - they would most likely agree. Tell them that you will be writing to the HR for a reference letter and that they (the managers) would in turn be required to vet the contents of the reference letter.

3) Write an email cover letter to your HR manager - and attach the reference letter format. Mention the names of managers with whom you worked during your employment. And copy the email to those managers.

4) Next, the HR manager should forward the mail to those managers and ask them to verifiy the contents of the reference letter.

5) The managers would write back - confirming the contents.

6) HR manager should issue the reference on company letterhead.

I have sent a letter to my human resources department but i know they will only send me a very basic reference back as they are so unhelpful.

Archived