Things to take with you

MazPaul

We have been told to bring as much of our belongings as we can with us.Been looking at a new gas bbq and a patio table and chairs set. Looking on some Australian websites they seem to be the same price as over here to buy. Do we still buy them here and ship them out with us or do we wait. Both shipping agents we had round for quotes advised us to take them but are they just wanting more business. Any opinions on this most welcome as we dont want to get out there and find out they way more expensive. Thanks Paul.:chatterbox:

We have been thinking about this .... do you take everything with you or buy new over there, alot of people say that things are dearer in Australia but are they more expensive if you take into consideration how much you have paid to transport them there, I would think not ..................

Tracey

Hi i would say don't bother with white goods, unless you can guarantee your container will be there very close to when you get your rental! Rentals normally only come with a cooker, so we found we had to buy all the white stuff as well as all kitchen utensils, cutlery, plates bake ware etc, We did ship our beds over, so we just purchased blow up beds which were a very good price! Also a bit of bed linen to see us through till our shipping arrived, Towels we made do with as we made sure each case had one in already in. Knowing what i know now, there is a few items i wouldn't have bothered shipping over! :wubclub:

Dawny what things did you wish you hadnt shipped.

Mostly kitchen items, we didn't take any white stuff at all, but we took so much in the way of cutlery, plates, knife and forks, just way too much, we made the mistake of buying new in the uk to ship over and we need not have bothered as we could by them cheap enough in oz! We could have used that space for other things regarding kids stuff that we left behind! More kids clothes as i found the uk had a lot more for kids! Same goes for sofa's and chairs, we shipped ours over as they were fairly new, but again they are not that expensive there! :wubclub:

I see you have come back to the UK.Where did you got in Oz, and if you dont mind me asking why did you not stay.

Hi we went to the central coast, We came back because the kids were so unhappy, and my eldest who was still in the uk, was waiting to hear about her back surgery! So i would be needed to have the grand kiddies!

We brought 2 suitcases and shipped over 2 boxes! I brought over my saucepans as they were a good set and that was the thing I missed/needed the most whilst waiting for my boxes! Bring little, makes it more exciting, plus when you move into your rental you'll have less stuff to move!!!!

Guest ozinpom

We shipped all our personal stuff, paintings, bikes, ornaments, clothes, bedding, kitchen gear etc, anything that would go into boxes that we could lift and move ourselves. We gave away or sold all the big stuff. We sent 13 cubic metres of boxes that we packed ourselves and it cost a total of £2300 from the UK to Newcastle NSW door to door including normal quarantine charges.

If you buy new gear in the UK and it's under 12 months old when it arrives here you are liable for 10% GST.

Archived