Nurse practitioners/children's nurse

Guest TheMcd's

Guest TheMcd's

Anyone know any info on nurse practitioners in Oz?

I am a RGN, HV and have just done Master's degree and work as a paediatric NP in a children's walk in centre, dont really want to work on the wards again, also worried about the pay. I am on band 7 in UK but appealing for an 8a. :unsure:

OH BTW I am also children's trained (RN child branch)

HI. I am also a RHV/ rscn they do have nurse practitioners in oz look at anmc website and regional nursing boards where you intend to settle. I enquired about my RHV being accepted as nurse practitioner status (as also degree and nurse prescriber) but found that I needed to have my skills assessesd as a RN first. With NBSA there is an extensive portfolio which you have to complete and present with documenntary based evidence, you also have to attend for an interview and perform a presentation all to get your rhv recognised/assessed to oz NP equivalent. My background prior to RHV was NICU/SCBU ENB 405 qualified, had enough as RHV in the UK, under resourced unless you are in a surestart area!! aargh!! so doing a refresher and back into clinical. Will have to take a pay drop, but not bothered I want to be happy in my work, scbu is stressful at times but very rewarding, but then again I understand that I may have to take a few steps down the pay scale at top of band 7 now and can't go any further unless i want to be a CPT, but moving to Oz is all about a fresh begining and I accept that some financial sacrifices have to be made. Hope this helps you out a bit any more info just shout up.

Monty

Guest TheMcd's

Hi Monty

i have seen a document Child & Youth Metropolitan Clinical Services Masterplan for WA and that talks about setting up ambulatory care services for children and home visiting services for new mums etc which would be great for me. Don't know if you would know anything about this?

http://www.healthnetworks.health.wa.gov.au/cyhn/docs/Child_Youth_Report.pdf

I am the main earner and dont want to end up earning less money and be worse off over there, plus as i have only just done my masters in paediatric ambulatory care i want to continue using those skills, and i love my new job.

I dont know what to do and cant seem to find who i need to talk to regarding the new service in WA. I have been looking at Brisbane and their services seem a little more forward thinking, they have NP in adult emergency dept and they earn 90,000 $ which would be very nice indeed!

BTW how did your trust get band 7 for HV's ours would only give a 6, we appealed but they said no!

Claire

Hi Monty

i have seen a document Child & Youth Metropolitan Clinical Services Masterplan for WA and that talks about setting up ambulatory care services for children and home visiting services for new mums etc which would be great for me. Don't know if you would know anything about this?

http://www.healthnetworks.health.wa.gov.au/cyhn/docs/Child_Youth_Report.pdf

I am the main earner and dont want to end up earning less money and be worse off over there' date=' plus as i have only just done my masters in paediatric ambulatory care i want to continue using those skills, and i love my new job.

I dont know what to do and cant seem to find who i need to talk to regarding the new service in WA. I have been looking at Brisbane and their services seem a little more forward thinking, they have NP in adult emergency dept and they earn 90,000 $ which would be very nice indeed!

BTW how did your trust get band 7 for HV's ours would only give a 6, we appealed but they said no!

Claire[/quote']

I know that there are big plans for increasing home visiting services nationally, can't really say anything very specific with regard to Perth / WA. I'm going to S.A but don't feel I want to do health visiting anymore used to work in the inner city and shed loads of child protection work left feeling more like a social worker than a nurse!!!!! If I were you I would google women youth and childrens services W.A and see what you come up with you will also need to go on nursing board of western australia web site look at overseas section and nurse practitioners. I fyou intend on going on a 136 you will need to have your skills assessed by anmc and local nurses board. If you are going on a sponsored employer nominated then regional board only. I worked in Sydney in 1998 for approx 3 months at the new childrens hospital in paramatta when I did my Bachelor of Nursing Degree and found the hospital to be very dynamic and forward thinking I am sure that they had paediatric emergency practitioners in place back then. Its something you are more than qualified to do. Why not try and find out where all the paediatric hospitals are in the areas you would like to go to, see if they would sponsor you? The possibilities for will be endless, its just the process of getting your skills verified and waiting for the visa that s the headache. Received my visa this morning 5MONTHS AND 24 DAYS WHICH IS QUICK BY SOME STANDARDS!!! Writing my notice tonite glass of bubbly in hand!!! Let us know how you get on with all your research.

Montyx

Guest TheMcd's

Thanks Monty i will look into all that and will let you know the outcome

Congratulations on getting your visa!

Claire x

Guest TheMcd's

Hi Ali

Yes I dont mind taking an initial drop, but want to know there will be the potential to end up bringing in enough wages to keep us in a lifestyle we are used to (not that its flash or grand now though!!)

Claire

Claire - we're managing and doing ok living wise - like you nothing flash or grand but have a nice lifestyle here. I think you'll find plenty of opportunity to do what you want to after a few months.

Ali

Guest ally and ali
Anyone know any info on nurse practitioners in Oz?

I am a RGN' date=' HV and have just done Master's degree and work as a paediatric NP in a children's walk in centre, dont really want to work on the wards again, also worried about the pay. I am on band 7 in UK but appealing for an 8a. :unsure:[/quote']

Hi there,

I am so glad you posted this quote. I too am a Nurse Practitioner in Walk In Centre and was a little concerned re the drop in pay! Having been offered an NO1 position by QLD Health, I`m not sure if I can completely start again that low - new life or not! Anyway I have also now applied for a nurse practitioner post, it seems it is a reasonably new way of practitising in A&E departments, so I think your skills would be highly valued on that level. However you do have to apply for practitioner status to the relevant nursing council that seems to look quite complicated / intimidating. I too have NP degree and masters in prescribing and have been doing this job for the last 10 years so you would think that would be enough to prove your worth so to speak. Let me know how you get on. Good Luck.

Ali x

Guest ally and ali

Hi Ali,

Thanks for your posts too. Did you initially start out with a NO1 post. I am so tempted to take this on a sponsorship visas in desparation to get to Oz but I am very concerned if I can initially support my family untill my husband finds work. I was assured at interview I should move up the ladder quite quickly but it is a little daunting to give up your career to start from the bottom again. Would appreciate your advice.

Cheers Ali x

Hi Ali,

Yes I took a level 1 when I arrived partly to get on the ladder, they take your years of experience into account so I was on the top level which is level 9 here in WA (I think it's 8 in other places but don't know for sure). The salary was $56,000 (a litlle more but I can't remember), I applied for a communtiy post (same hospital) after 6 months when they were advertised and am now a level 2.4 which is $62,000. Both hubby and I if you compare uk to Aus took a drop in salary but are managing fine - you can't compare like for like to be honest - cost of living is different too.

Ali

Guest ally and ali

Thanks Ali,

I am feeling reassured. Just can`t wait to get there and completely change our lifestyle. Unfortunately as with many of us I am still trying to sell the house and am stuck in no mans land.

Ali x

Guest TheMcd's
Hi there,

I am so glad you posted this quote. I too am a Nurse Practitioner in Walk In Centre and was a little concerned re the drop in pay! Having been offered an NO1 position by QLD Health, I`m not sure if I can completely start again that low - new life or not! Anyway I have also now applied for a nurse practitioner post, it seems it is a reasonably new way of practitising in A&E departments, so I think your skills would be highly valued on that level. However you do have to apply for practitioner status to the relevant nursing council that seems to look quite complicated / intimidating. I too have NP degree and masters in prescribing and have been doing this job for the last 10 years so you would think that would be enough to prove your worth so to speak. Let me know how you get on. Good Luck.

Ali x

I'm not sure if the Nurses Board could verify the NP qualification - as they do with our basic registration - i will have to enquire...I do know that the pay for a Nurse Practitioner is approx $90 000 - well that is the pay I saw advertised in the last 2 NP jobs in NSW.

Any info i get in my research i will let you know

Claire x

Archived