Where to sell old cars in the UK

Guest NeilEB

Guest NeilEB

When my wife and I move, we will most likely sell both our cars, and hopefully only need one car when we go to Oz.

I know second hand cars are expensive, but our cars are falling to bits at the moment (a 2003 106, and a 2004 Yaris).

Where would people recommend selling them? Not expecting to get much, and doubt I'd get much private.

If you don't want the hassle of selling them privately (if you did I'd recommend putting them on autotrader.co.uk) which is what would get you the best price you might want to take them to an auction.

I've used Chelmsford Car Auctions (now astonbarclay.net) myself but there's also british-car-auctions.co.uk and others depending on what's convenient for you. Unless he has plans to sell it himself the best any dealer would offer you is what they'd expect them to fetch at auction less a margin for themselves. If you take them direct to the auction house you're cutting out the middleman. You don't even have to attend the auction yourself just drop it off and have the cheque posted to you after the auction.

Don't use webuyanycar unless you want to throw your money away.

Don't use webuyanycar unless you want to throw your money away.

I would so second this. They offered us about £20 for our cars, when we literally did not have time to sell them in any way ourselves and needed shot of them desperately quickly, and ended up with about £250-300 each for them on Ebay (neither of them were legal runners, one of them the big end in the engine had gone so needed a new engine, but in every other way was pretty perfect for a 10 year old car, the other had quite a few rust issues with the wings, but its engine was sound).

Not saying Ebay is the way to go (it just worked out well for us in the circumstances), but really don't go for these complete scum (sorry, I just really really hate them and then they don't leave you alone and won't stop pestering you).

Guest Burchos

We are going to ebay our cars when we go. A friend of ours just sold his car on ebay and got more than he thought for it.

Good Luck.

Guest NeilEB

Cheers for the advice all - to be honest I would refuse on principle to use WBAC purely due to their annoying adverts.

I'll probably check out a couple of local garages nearer the time, see what they'll offer.

Archived