Canberra accommodation

Guest CL123

Guest CL123

Hello,

I would like some help on deciding which suburb to look for rental accommodation. I will be working at The Canberra Centre for 2-3 months before working in Weston. I won't have a car so plan to get around by public transport. Which suburb is best for me to allow travel to work at these two places but is also safe? What are the typical lease periods for rentals?

Many of the agents I have contacted to not reply. One said that it was strange a lot of people were looking for 1 bedroom units close to the city this week. What is the best time of the year to move to Canberra? Is there a difference between going there in Apr or May? How much time should I allow for rental applications? I will be staying at a hotel for the first two weeks so I'm hoping I can find accommodation within this time.

Any help is appreciated.

• 1 month later...
Guest RobzNdebz

Hiya

Its very chilly in Canberra at the moment as its winter, i arrived 4 weeks ago and have been staying in Watson at Studio Pasadena - http://www.studioq.au.com/pasadena.html - 1 bedroom fully equipped apartment, bus outside goes to the city or to Dickson where you can get buses going the other direction. We didnt want to spend that long in a hotel so was very happy when i found this little place! Shops 2 mins away with a couple if restaurants. If u stay here longer than 4 weeks u get a discount.

Check it out!

Hello,

I would like some help on deciding which suburb to look for rental accommodation. I will be working at The Canberra Centre for 2-3 months before working in Weston. I won't have a car so plan to get around by public transport. Which suburb is best for me to allow travel to work at these two places but is also safe? What are the typical lease periods for rentals?

Many of the agents I have contacted to not reply. One said that it was strange a lot of people were looking for 1 bedroom units close to the city this week. What is the best time of the year to move to Canberra? Is there a difference between going there in Apr or May? How much time should I allow for rental applications? I will be staying at a hotel for the first two weeks so I'm hoping I can find accommodation within this time.

Any help is appreciated.

The Estate Agents are flat to the boards with people who are actually here on the ground, they wont be bothered with people who might be on their way.

If you are going to be working over at Weston in the longer term then aim for that side of town - it's easier to get into Civic than it is to get out to Weston (try Weston, Waramanga, Rivett -assuming you dont have kids - or Chapman). You are probably going to find that you need a car, sorry about that, Canberra is home to the motor vehicle if you want a reasonably active social life. Getting a bus into Civic will be easy - change at the Woden interchange and buses go every 5 minutes.

Have you thought about a house share? It might be just as easy and a tad more sociable than a one beddie unit - which can be a bit pokey. (try allhomes and the gumtree)

I wouldnt have thought that this was a particularly bad time for people wanting small units but rental properties are very tight in Canberra at the best of times - you will be looking at least at 6 months, more likely a year minimum.

Archived