175 visa + work experience

Hi guys,

Quick question for everyone - the 175 visa requires you to submit various items to prove you have at least 12 months work experience (or 3 years to get extra points) in your skilled occupation. I have read that even though you submit reference, payslips, P60s, employment contracts etc, they may still contact your employer directly to verify.

For people who have been through it, especially those from UK, did the DIAC contact your employer during your application? What's the likelihood of it happening?

Reason I ask is that I can get all the evidence you could possibly want and get the reference without bosses knowing what it's for, but if DIAC phone them then of course they'll find out!

I'd rather wait to tell the bosses once visa is approved and I have a leaving date, otherwise the next year in work will be very awkward!

Anyone with experience of it would love to hear from you!

They don't seem to check the UK references, at least I, have never heard about this happening. But they definitely reserve the right to do so. I would probably chance it in your situation and provide an HR contact, but then again you might find you're employer is more sympathetic than you think, people move around these days, it isn't a great betrayal.

Good luck.

Cheers for that - I think it's something I'm going to just have to risk and cross that bridge if it happens.

The company I work for is relatively small and going from other experiences I've seen in the office, it's very much seen as a betrayal. Which is a shame. Plus my workload is hectic enough - if he knows I'm going, even if it's a year away, the work will double!lol

Thanks for your input, much appreciated - the whole Visa thing is a bit of a minefield! :biggrin:

Archived