Aerospace Engineer

MrTux

Hi

I am a Mechanical Engineer working in the Aerospace Manusfacturing Industry and about to apply for a 175 Independant skilled migrant visa. Alot of the vaccancies in the field of aerospace engineering seem to require security clearance which requires australian citizenship.

I was wondering whether anybody has experience of coming from the UK with aerospace engineering work experince and finding work in Australia in the aerospace industry or other industries?

Thanks

Andy:GEEK:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest spongebob

hi Mr Tux.

I know my other half is not in the same field as you (he is an engineer tho) but may find my answer of some help?

We initially wanted to enter OZ on a 175 but after talking to people within the expo's etc we were advised the way forward would be to obtain a 121 visa (permanent employer sponsored visa). This meant finding a job with an employer who was willing to sponsor (definitely not an easy task)

My OH is an electronic engineer within the UK. We have done a lot of work on trying to find a job in OZ esp from the UK. Most of the jobs for electronic engineering appears to be in the defense industry which as you say needs clearance which you can not get without being a citizen. So, we then wrote to every company in Australia that we could find or think of. This gave some advice but no offers of a job as Australian job industry works very much on "word of mouth". Seek.com.au? this was a site strongly recommended but to be honest we personally found it a bit of a dead loss and they are really only interested in people who already have a visa.

So, what was left? Word of mouth! Ask every one in the UK or OZ who may know someone who knows someone who lives in OZ who is in a company that deals with the same things who know people who have been sponsored into the company. Get their friends email and correspond. Then if possible say you are going out on a holiday or to visit friends and ask if you can "pop in for a chat about the aerospace industry". These meetings allow the people to see you in person and could lead to a job and the offer of a visa either now or later in the year.

My OH and I did this with great success and he has got a job offer with the application in for a 121. Now we are just waiting to see if they will give us the visa so fingers crossed. Hope you find someone and hope this helped a bit.

Good Luck. :cute:

Thanks Spongebob that sounds like good advice. I do have a few engineering contacts of people I met in aus when travelling several years ago that will be a good place to start.

Glad to hear that your OH has managed to get a job offer and good luck.

Archived