Renting in Canberra

ABL275

Hi - I've been offered a three-year contract in central Canberra so don't want to sell my UK house right away and was intending to rent something (ideally a 4-bed house) in Canberra but the prices seem extortionate.

Apparently the city average is about AU$2,650/month - can anyone advise on where in Canberra we might get decent value for money?

Also, are the rentals really that expensive or are there any mitigating factors like local taxes being included?

Regards

Richard

No, rentals really are that expensive. Phil in his Downunder series suggested Dickson for value for money but he was looking at buying rather than renting. I guess it all depends what you want - location, garden, house type, facilities, distance to work, schools etc. Personally I wouldnt move out of the inner north (Canberra tends to be like that, you find your area and resist moving anywhere else!) because of big block size, proximity to Civic (I can walk it in just over half an hour), local facilities etc. However the spin off for us is that we have a tiny little 3 bed weatherboard house. What you would pay for an equivalent here would get you a 4bed+ ensuite out in Gungahlin or Tuggeranong on a small block with a long commute. Swings and roundabouts really. Also, the estate agents pictures often bear little resemblance to the reality and you do have to check out the neighbours (avoid Charnwood, Richardson and "lower" Narrabundah - prices may appear cheaper but there is a reason for that!)

Archived