Plan starting to come together

gaz n family

So we have finally set a date. Right at the start of this process we had always promised our 15 year old son that he could say and sit his GCSEs, that way he will have a choice in a couple of years, should he want to return then he has something to go back to. Then he made us promise he would miss his leavers Prom, or Founders day.

So that was set, no earlier than the 7th July 2011. We were granted our Visa about 3 weeks ago so could start to plan. We investigate using my Virgin Atlantic Air Miles (200,000) but sadly no miles flights available in any of the classes during July, Aug or Sept to Sydney. We were umming and arhing to see what other options might be available, Friday we found 4 upper-class seats from Heathrow to Shanghai 14th July 2011, using 200,000 air miles and 1,200 quid in taxes and excessive duty payments. Still you cannot grumble, 1,200 quid for 4 upper-class seats to China. We have decided to spend 2 nights in Shanghai, then from there, move onto Kuala Lumpur, staying for 2 nights. Using Eastern China, it will cost £520 for the 4 of us, then 1,200 from Kuala Lumpur to Adelaide with Malaysia.

We have had 2 removal companies in so far, and to be honest, its not looking good. The first one told us it was illegal to self pack, still awaiting their quote. The second contradicted some which the first had said, some of my military awards and keepsakes cannot be imported (e.g.Commando Dagger), but i have discovered, he was wrong, i can apply for an import can be taken, certificate from the customs website (can put i link if you need) i also found a page on their website for medication, telling you that 3 months supply can be taken, not the 28 days stated on here. The first claimed we had 130 feet cubed, over a 20 foot container, i said everything was to go. Next guy i was more aware of what the wife doesn't want to take, so was able to tell him, reducing the size needed, his estimate came in 300 feet cubed over a 20 foot container.

We have a couple more companies due in the next 2 weeks.

The Pet transport companies have been in touch, so good and some not so good, IMO, in fact one guy i found REALLY rude on the phone, claiming my measurements we too exact for our dog. After reading his website, it actually states, be exact as they will add the comfort size. I have one more quote to come in, but to be honest, aside from one, who i well over the rest, all seem to provide the same product for the same price.

Furnished Rental property has been difficult to find, due to having the dog. We decided to rent a furnished place for 3 months, in the hope this will be plenty of time for our furniture to arrive. Plus it will give us plenty of time to find an unfurnished place in the area we choose. So after months of scouring the Internet, we manged to find a place two weeks ago, we have been chatting to the owner and have agreed a price etc, with our payment on its way via HiFx.

Still got lost to do, but at least its a start.

How is everyone else doing with their plans?

Guest nodrog72

Hi Gaz

Well it certainly sounds like you have done loads of organising.

We don't seem to be getting very far, not through lack of trying. Gordon has handed his notice in and has specified his last day to be 1st September but with the hope that he can take termination leave and resettlement beforehand, but are still waiting for them to confirm. He has applied for a few jobs but no replies as yet.

I have had 4 removal companies in for quotes and they all seemed to say pretty much the same but the quotes varied with a £500 difference from lowest to highest which seemed a bit of a joke really. I think I have decided to go with PSS they seemed to give the most helpful information and a resonable quote. I have been checking out flights for end of June and the mid of July, I have decided I want to fly with Singapore Airlines as we have flown with them before and were very good. Gordon doesn't care who he flies with as long as we get there (the baggage hold sounds a good place for him!!!!)

My next job is looking into holiday rentals for a couple of months but not sure where, so lots of research to be done first.

Good luck with the rest of the organising keep up the progress reports and I will keep you informed of our progress.

Best wishes to all the family

Tanya:laugh:

Hey Gaz and Family ... wll doen for getting through all that sounds like you have been busy!!! We are waiting now for visa to be processed they are telling us 4/6 weeks aghhhhhh !! got the quotes for removals ( anglo pacific were great and will do packing as its a requirement in oz handling customs. The pets are booked with pet air uk ... seems all fine

The house rental I am worried about but my friend in perth says you just need to bulid up good relation with real estate agents and they work hard for you as long as they like you. She says dont worry we will find. got a rental from the job for 6 weeks so that gives us time to set wheels in motion for unfurnished house. fingers crossed for us all!

How did you manage to secure a rental without seeing it ? were they fine about that ? where did you look ? Thanks and so pleased your all getting sorted

we have only managed to find short term rental so far. We booked it for three months. She is an expat herself so knows what we are going through and will give us a reference for when we look for something more permanant. Assuming we behave;-). We found their site on the internet and have dealt with it via emails.

Hi Gaz and family

Our situation is same as yours but waiting for son to complete GCSE's and prom July 2012. Have you researched your sons school options once you arrive? I have been trying to obtain info but seem to be getting lots of contradictory replies!!

Good luck with your plans

Vanessa

Archived