Going from Working Holiday Visa to De facto (on/offshore?!)- advice/hints/tips???

Guest lcmahtani

Guest lcmahtani

Hi all,

Firstly - I love this website! Although I'm sure my boss won't be too happy if he checks my internet traffic... oh well.

Would be great to get some advice, anecdotes or hints/tips from anyone who applied for their visas in a similar way:

We met in Sept 2009

Moved in together 27th August 2010

OH is an Australian citizen and an Irish citizen too, hence we've been living together in the UK.

We want to get to Australia as soon as possible, and I've had a job offer for a start date of 5th September 2011.

Therefore, this is my reasoning:

Apply for Working Holiday Visa around 1st June (in order to be able to save up the financial amount you need to evidence) and then book flights to Sydney for around 28th August 2011.

I'd start my job on 5th September and apply for the de facto partnership visa and have it granted (hopefully!) just before the six month with one employer rule kicks in.

I'm currently debating whether to lodge on/offshore as the processing times for offshore seem to be much quicker, but having to leave to activate the visa is such a pain.

So, we'd either lodge onshore on 28th August so that it is definitely one year since we've lived together or offshore in Australia House on 28th too.

We have the following proof for the de facto:

- tenancy agreement

- stat decs

- wedding invites/christmas cards etc

- individual bank accounts with statements highlighted to show joint purchases or holidays e.g. both buying stuff in Paris on the same weekend

- council tax in both names

- bills in separate names e.g. TV licenses in my name, Virgin Media in his name, Electricity in my name and then account changed to both names

- pictures of us together and with stat dec witnesses

- facebook message screenshots, emails, skype history etc

- travel arrangements (but no tickets... why do I not hoard?!)

- mirroring wills (e.g. all my stuff to him, all his stuff to me)

Any comments welcome :)

Leah and Rory xx

Guest sofielei

Hey Leah,

I'm no expert, but did the same thing pretty much apart from I used up my entire WHV. You can't apply for an offshore visa unless you're actually offshore I thought, so if you're starting work here in September you'd have to apply onshore. But don't take my word for it!

I handed in my application in Sydney in mid December 2009 (same day my WHV ran out) and even though they said it would be months before it would get processed I got my visa early January. I handed it by hand as I was told that could sometimes be quicker. Maybe I just got lucky.

Sooo, anyway, probably not much help at all in the end :) Good luck with whatever you decide!

Guest lcmahtani

Thanks so much for this - fingers crossed it will all work out. It is such an all consuming process, so will be delighted when it is all over and done with.

If you apply in the UK for the de facto visa, you have to be here when it is granted as I understand it. You are generally advised not to travel to Australia while waiting for this visa to come through. You need to inform them if you wish to travel to Australia while the visa is being processed as you should be in the UK when it is granted and they can't tell you when it will be.

I posted about this in another thread

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/110244-advice-please.html

If you lodge here in the UK I don't think they will be to happy if you then go off on a WHV to Aus.

I think you need to have a look at the ins and outs of both the visas and perhaps consider the WHV and then going from there once in Aus. I guess the main problem right now is you've only be living together 6 or 7 months so it makes applying for the de facto here a bit tricky. I'd stick with the WHV and apply once in Australia later on. You've a year plus on a WHV so plenty of time to get an application in once you are settled in over there.

Archived