Apply for spouse visa, can I work

Guest jenniferlee

Guest jenniferlee

Hey,

I am a bit stuck on a few things to do with th spouse/fiance visa that i am applying for.

I am a UK citizen and have been with my australian partner for over 4 yrs. We both want to live in aus and plan to get married. I am currently in the UK and he is back in aus. I will be meeting him back over there in a few months (on a holiday visa) and there we will get married.

I know that once i am there i will have to apply for the spousal visa and that means he will be sponsering me to stay, but can i work too? or do i have to wait for the permenant visa to come through, which means not working for nearly 12 months!? and also how much roughly will this all cost? is it easier to pay somebody to do it ( althouh i heard this was lots)?

I'm very lost right now and would appreciate any helpyou can give, thanks jen

Guest Guest31881

Hi,

I have moved your post to a thread of its own, I hope that will get you more replies.

I am not a migration expert but I believe if you come over on a tourist visa and apply for a spouse visa you cannot work until your spouse visa is granted.

If you intend coming here to Marry, why not look at a PMV ( prospective marriage visa). That gives you 9 months to get here and marry.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me about visas will give a better answer.

Guest siamsusie
Hi,

I have moved your post to a thread of its own, I hope that will get you more replies.

I am not a migration expert but I believe if you come over on a tourist visa and apply for a spouse visa you cannot work until your spouse visa is granted.

If you intend coming here to Marry, why not look at a PMV ( prospective marriage visa). That gives you 9 months to get here and marry.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me about visas will give a better answer.

Colin, I assisted with a girlfriend's visa in WA... we placed the application in person down in Perth. Full working rights were given there and then by the case officer despite the fact that her husband was earning an excellent salary down the mines. The spouse visa was issued approx 12 weeks later. Different strokes for different folks lol. Susie x

Guest jenniferlee
Colin, I assisted with a girlfriend's visa in WA... we placed the application in person down in Perth. Full working rights were given there and then by the case officer despite the fact that her husband was earning an excellent salary down the mines. The spouse visa was issued approx 12 weeks later. Different strokes for different folks lol. Susie x

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I just looked in to applying for a prospective marriage visa and from what i gathered, you dont actually need one to marry your partner. I could go on a holiday visa and once married, apply for the patner visa (with each visa being around $2000 i would cut the cost in half).

Do you think this sounds right?

thanks

Hi, can you point me at where in the documentation this form of application is mentioned? Or a towards a migration agent who would recommend it?

You must also point out that if the Australian customs official doesn't feel the traveller is visiting Australia for a tourist visit (with intention to leave) on a tourist visa, they are perfectly within their rights (and do) send people home on the next plane...

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I just looked in to applying for a prospective marriage visa and from what i gathered, you dont actually need one to marry your partner. I could go on a holiday visa and once married, apply for the patner visa (with each visa being around $2000 i would cut the cost in half).

Do you think this sounds right?

thanks

If you're coming in on a tourist visa, getting married isn't going to change your work rights or processing times. You are applying for a partner visa, regardless of whether you are Defacto or married.

applying for a PMV and using this to enter the country would give you work rights from the start, though depending on processing times, you might not be any better off.

If you are going to come on a tourist visa, have you considered applying offshore, then coming over on a tourist visa while you wait, before popping out of the country to say NZ for a week once the visa is ready to be granted? Since the offshore processing times are currently faster, this would get you the work rights much faster than the tourist/onshore route.

Archived