Schools in Point Cook area

The Bridge Family

:notworthy:Hi Guys!

Anyone got kids in school in Point Cook? I've been told Seabrook is the best Primary School ~ but it has a super small catchment area, so we are having a job finding houses to buy there.

We have two boys, 6 and 11, so will need Primary for now, but soon will need Secondary education.

We are on a visit to Melbourne on Tuesday and Wednesday of next week, so early replies would be gratefully received.

We have a few lovely houses booked in......... but seriously don't wanna pick a gorgeous house ~ only to find the school for that area is not what we had hoped for!

Thanks so much!

Enjoy your weekend x :notworthy:

I guess the question is do you need to live in Point Cook, and could private or catholic schooling be an option?

There are some decent schools in the west but less so than other parts of Melbourne.

Peter

Most of the good ones are strictly zoned. The high school in Williamstown is considered to be good as is Westbourne Grammer (Private).

Not at all. If you have any other recommendations, feel free to let me know. We have not even visited Melbourne yet, so have no idea on suburbs etc. Only reason we chose Point Cook is that it came recommended by heaps of people, looks like a good place for kids, is within easy reach of the CBD, and is in the area that my husband will run.

If the schools are not as good as elsewhere, then we will have to re-think. What is hard, is trying to choose where to look. We have no idea, at all.......

Thanks heaps x

Hi Guys, I live and work in point cook....... Seabrook pr is a very good school and so is Point Cook college...altho these schools have got a good rep for being small they infact are building and growing fast! These are state schools and if the budget is there we also have some good Catholic pr.....Lumin christy, stella maris (think thats how theyr spelt). One word of warning tho PLEASE stay away from Callemballic college (both of them) as im sorry to say that iv had nothing but problems with them and its not just me! Thank goodness iv got my son out of there!!

Secondary schools....a lot of children do travel for these but iv found that Emmanuell college Yrs 7 to 12, brilliant (my sons there now in his 2nd yr) Point cook senior seems to be good so far ( also new and only starts at yr 9).

There are LOTS of brits in Point Cook and all you have to do is head to any off the coffee shops and ask anyone, everyone is open and speak freely...If not then Im open to more questions but i can only speak through my experiences and that of my friends.........enjoy your visit and good luck. Tess xxx

Guest izzie
Hi Guys, I live and work in point cook....... Seabrook pr is a very good school and so is Point Cook college...altho these schools have got a good rep for being small they infact are building and growing fast! These are state schools and if the budget is there we also have some good Catholic pr.....Lumin christy, stella maris (think thats how theyr spelt). One word of warning tho PLEASE stay away from Callemballic college (both of them) as im sorry to say that iv had nothing but problems with them and its not just me! Thank goodness iv got my son out of there!!

Secondary schools....a lot of children do travel for these but iv found that Emmanuell college Yrs 7 to 12, brilliant (my sons there now in his 2nd yr) Point cook senior seems to be good so far ( also new and only starts at yr 9).

There are LOTS of brits in Point Cook and all you have to do is head to any off the coffee shops and ask anyone, everyone is open and speak freely...If not then Im open to more questions but i can only speak through my experiences and that of my friends.........enjoy your visit and good luck. Tess xxx

Hi all,

Have found the info here really useful. I am looking to move with my partner and his 15 year old son. We are hoping that he will go to point cook senior secondary college. My question is...if you live in the area, (we will be on a 457 visa) do they have to find you a school place or can they refuse?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Izzie

x

Hi all,

Have found the info here really useful. I am looking to move with my partner and his 15 year old son. We are hoping that he will go to point cook senior secondary college. My question is...if you live in the area, (we will be on a 457 visa) do they have to find you a school place or can they refuse?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Izzie

x

Hello Izzie,

It is my understanding that they do have to take "new comers" to the area. If that yr level is full they might try and make excuses but stick to your guns, so to speak. I have only heard one person having a problem but i think that because they started mid year! The funding is allocated at the begining of the school year (feb) so if they take on other student they dont always get the money back! Hope this is helpful to you? Oh and it dosent matter which visa ur on! if you have any more questions i could always ask around as i have a few friends with kids at this school. tess xxx

Guest izzie

Hi Tess,

My partners son will be starting mid-year, which is why we are concerned! I'm flying out in 2 weeks and my partner is following me, fingers crossed, at the beginning of June, so we are hoping his son can start on 18th July, which is the start of their 3rd term, of Y10.

It would be so great if you can let me know any feedback from parents/kids at the school, as it will realy help to reassure my OH!

Thanks

x

Hi Issie, still dont think you would have too much of a problem as you are new to the area! when u come bring with you his latest school report ect. The school might only speak to you when your partners son is acutally here im afraid! but at least you can get a tour and get a feel of the place! Theres 4 different people that i know that have their kids and point cook senior and so far no complaints!!

Where are u staying when you arrive? do you have family living nearby ect ? feel free to pm me and we could meet for coffee and i could introduce you to a few of the ladies here? good luck as i know its nerve racking!!!! tess xxxx

Guest izzie

Hi Tess,

Its so scary and my other half is reluctant to make the jump unless he's got a school place sorted for his son, as he doesn't want to get there and not be able to find a good school for him! So hopefully they'll deal with me when I arrive and have a rental address. He will be grateful knowing that the school has had some good reports, we've checked on My School and it does seem to have good results compared to others.

My company are putting me up in a furnished apartment in Flemington, which is near my work and I will be driving to PC to look for houses and schools etc..So a coffee/wine (!) will be greatly appeciated!

x

Guest izzie

Hi Tess, just wanted to update you as you've been so helpful to me. We had an email back from the school yesterday, seemed very positive, just said to go in for an interview, with a copy of school reports, which I can hopefully arrange when I arrive. My OH is a bit more reassured now!

Hi Tess, just wanted to update you as you've been so helpful to me. We had an email back from the school yesterday, seemed very positive, just said to go in for an interview, with a copy of school reports, which I can hopefully arrange when I arrive. My OH is a bit more reassured now!

Ahhh good!!!! didnt think you would have too much of a problem! talking to some of my friends, its the people who want to change schools half way through the year they dont like! As you are a "new comer to the area" they have to take u.....as long as u are in the catchment area!!!!

Thanks for the update.....good luck and contact me anytime if i can help...you need a friendly face or a ear to bend? tess xx:wink:

Archived