WHV finding work in building trade

trace1

Hi there...I have a son who is going out to Australia on a WHV...he wants to work in the building trade...either painting or carpentry in the hope that he will be sponsored on a more permanent visa...the conditions of a working holiday visa state that you can only work for an employer for a period of 6 months...however you can work as an apprentice or just in general in one of these types of jobs do long as you move from one company to another after 6 months...how easy is is to get this type of work without any experience and is it possible to be sponsored to stay longer on maybe a 457 or permanent visa...any help appreciated

• 3 months later...
Guest gavzilla

you will be very lucky to get a job that you desire on a whv - i have just done 2 years there and had lots of jobs, but you have to have experience or they will just hire locals instead, in the current situation he will be lucky to find a job on a farm let alone anything else, theres currently 4 million other backpackers in oz doing the same thing and most are qualified in some field or another, i was offered sponsership by one boss but he was a terrible boss and still owes me money 8 months later. It is much easier to get sponsership while in oz though if a job is found.

Archived