Accountancy/admin and carpentry work needed Joondalup/Perth

Guest sdpd

Hi all

We arrived in Perth 3 weeks ago and have been finding it very difficult to gain employment. I am a newly qualified chartered accountant (member of Irish institute) and my other half is a carpenter with over 10 years experience. I have registered with all the big agencies (and quite a few of the smaller ones too) but it seems to me that although they recognise my CA qualification my experience is not what they are looking for. I trained in a small practice in Northern Ireland where I gained a lot of experience in an all-round accounts position. However as I do not have SAP or MYOB experience this seems to be a big problem. I am a fast learner and am sure that with a little guidance I would pick this up no problem. With regards to the carpentry there just doesn't seem to be many jobs out there and any that are in the paper etc are snapped up at lightening speed!

Just wondering if anyone could offer any help or advice if they have been in a similar situation or if you know of any work that may be suitable for us.

We are staying near Joondalup but are willing to work anywhere north of the river or in Perth CBD.

Thanks in advance,

Sharon and Paul

• 4 months later...

Just bumping up your post a bit for you, myself and husband and daughter moving out next May i'm in admin and he is construction, has carpentry qual but does not need to go into that field of construction as he also has groundworks, shuttering weilding etc as well. I have a honours Business Degree level 8 i think, do you know what the equiv is in Australia? Do i just bring my org degree i was given or do i need to bring more?

Sinead

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I'm sure you guys are all sorted now and have work coming out of your ears. Our son is also a carpenter and him and his missus, who's a teacher, arrived in Perth last September. He has worked solid since, and has decided to set up his own company. He has a copy of MYOB, but, as you can imagine, trying to set up a company and getting to grips with the accounting system, as well as doing carpentry all day is a bit of a challenge. Are you able to assist from an accountancy point of view?

Many thanks

Tony

Guest ChelseaM

I am a bit worried know my husband is a carpenter and we moving to Perth in May, didn't realise so bad with construction work

Hi,

I really don't think you need to be worried, from what my son says, there's plenty of well paid chippy work available. look on the internet for both constructions firms and firms that fit doors & windows etc. UK chippys have a good reputation in Perth so private work should also come along fairly quickly as well. Good luck!

Archived