High School Ages

Guest afiyafifi

Guest afiyafifi

HI ALL , THIS MUST SOUND LIKE A SILLY QUESTION BUT WHAT AGE DO THE KIDS START HIGH SCHOOL IN OZ AND WHAT AGE DO THEY LEAVE . KAREN

Hi Karen

Its not silly at all. I studied the Oz gov education website and couldnt find it anywhere!

In the end I emailed a high school in Oz in the state where we're going and asked them.

As far as I know (and I'm not sure here) in Perth its yr8 at 12 yrs and in Brisbane and NSW its yr7 at 11yrs, not sure about Melbourne and could well be completely wrong about the others (except nsw).

Also, you can move them up or down a year as you see fit, I think.

I've just re-read this answer and not sure its gonna help you!

Sam xx

Oh forgot to mention the leaving age.

They can leave at 15 at the end of yr10 (not sure if they doing any exams at this age though) but most stay til they've completed yr12 and get their High School Certificate (or state equivelent).

They can then go on to University.

Sam x

Guest afiyafifi

THANKS SAM , THATS A GREAT HELP , HOPING TO B IN QUEENSLAND NEXT YEAR . MY DAUGHTER WILL START HIGH SCHOOL OVER THERE THANKS AGAIN KAREN

Hi there... it's gonna depend specifically on the state you go too. but in new south wales.. high school is 12-13 for year seven, first year of high schoo,l to 17-18 for year twelve, last year. In year ten they will do the school certificate, which is the equivalent of gcse... in year 12 they will do the higher school certificate, the equivalent of a-levels. students can leave when they turn 15, although they usually wait until they have at least school certificate...

:shocked:

Guest njacinthebox

Are you going home? or did I get that wrong?

Do you live in N.S.W? We lived in oz for 2 years came home and wish we had stayed !! We have been back 2 years now and thinking about returning before our visa expires!!

Are you homesick?

Archived