How long can you put off school from arrival in Oz

Guest tracy hunt

Guest tracy hunt

Just wondering if anybody knows if there is a legal requirement as to when your children have to enroll in school when you arrive in Australia. Basically, how long can they have off before they have to start school. We are planning to arrive in Melbourne next summer but would prefer the children not to start school there until the January. Thank you.

Tracyxx

Guest Davidgolf

Hi Tracey,i dont know the answer to your question,but we arrive in Brisse 25th sept but our 9yr is starting school 8th oct.We want her to get back to normal as soon as poss, without being rude why do you want to have your children out of school that long hope you don't mind me asking.

Sharon x

Guest tracy hunt

Thanks for your reply. The reasons for keeping them out of school are that our youngest starts school here this Sept but she won't actually start school in Australia until Jan 09, so for her that would be the time she would begin school anyway. The other two, I feel that they need time to adjust to the new surroundings and feel settled before they can take on school in a new country with different people. Also, we are looking forward to having 4 months together as a family to travel and see all of Australia with a few internal flights, and the other reason is because we are not sure where we are going to live, and I would not want them to move schools once they start. So, basically until we buy our home and know where we will be, I don't want them to begin school. I'm not totally irresponsible, we will keep up with their maths, reading and writing in that 4 months with a little help and advise from their teachers here in England.

I suppose we all have different views on Education. Personally, I think they will gain more from having that time off school turning some of it into an educational experience as well as fun time (as long as we're legally allowed to).

Tracy

Hi Tracey,

I totally understand why you wouldn't want to start them somewhere and then have to move them again. We have the same dilemma, how do you know if you will like where you settle, and for us as we don't have jobs lined up yet, will we be able to find work where we choose to rent a house. If we then had to move again, it would be disrupting for them. I would feel so guilty making them move school yet again. It's a real dilemma, and one we haven't really figured out yet,

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do,

Bec x

Hi Tracy

I wouldnt of thought it would be a problem at all as you say it can be seen as an educational visit too, the children can keep a daily diary on what they are doing etc...

I dont think it is illegal either but to ease your mind why dont you look up the australian educational authority and let them know your plans and see what they say.

gd luck x

Guest Davidgolf

Hi Tracey,

I think that you may have taken my repiy the wrong way. I in no way were saying that you maybe being totally irresponsible and am upset that you throught that i meant it in that way,once i read your reply i understood why you dont want to start them until then, i am sorry if you throught that. My reply was just telling you what we were doing.

sharon.

Guest THE JONEZYS

We arrived at the begining of december last year and like you Tracy, didn't know where we were going to live. The schools break up around the 20th for the long summer hols' so we just kept Charlie home 'till after then (they go back around feb 1 in Vic).

The school we chose was open for enrolements 2 weeks before the kids went back so I just went and enrolled him then.

As with schools every where, there are always new kids after the summer hols' so he didn't feel like all eyes were on him.

I will say tho' he was very glad to get back to school after such a long time off.

Good luck.

Lesley

Guest tracy hunt

Now I'm worried Sharon that my reply sounded like I was being funny with you.

Honestly......I'm not, and I didn't take any offence from your posting. My reply was meant to be the same as yours.........just saying our reasons. I must admit though, that I miss the children so much when they're at school and am dreading Amelia starting in Sept (she's my little shadow) so I can't wait for them all to be around me at home again for a few months. Yes.....I am a sad Mummy!!!!

And now I know (thanks to Lesley) that I could have them all to myself for a little longer - Feb! Even better. The other thing is my sister and her husband and two boys are going like us at the same time, and they'll be putting off school for exactly the same reasons as us.....actually, it was my sister Joanne that made me start this thread, her husbands on a course all week with his laptop, so she couldn't access PIO.

Anyway, all this devoted Mummy talk has reminded me to feed them, so I'm off to put the tea on.

Tracyxx

Archived