Moving to NEWCASTLE in May

Guest poshsoph

Guest poshsoph

Hi!

We are moving to Newcastle at the beginning of May. My husband is being sponsered by his employer. Our 457 was submitted yesterday and we've been told we don't need medicals so I'm hoping it won't take longer than 6 weeks.

I have the shippers coming today to give me a quote- any advice for that?

At the moment I feel overwhelmed by all the stuff we need to do to get our house rented out over here!

Any advice on areas to rent in Newcastle would be great...I think we have a pretty good idea of the suburbs (spent a lot of time on realestate :biggrin:). My husbands office is in Mayfield and he would prefer not to be more than 30min commute away. We would rather have a pool than be near the beach. Our budget is up to around $600/week for a 4 bed property.

What else can you tell me about Newcastle- parks, pools, mountain biking and things to do with young kids (6, 4 and 3)

Thanks!!

Guest HavenMarra

Ask em about a shared container if you don't need a full one and about what you can/can't take (we are ditching wicker left right and centre) and also how clean stuff needs to be - I still need to pressure wash the patio furniture.

One of my colleague is heading to Newcastle soon - I'll see if I can get more info from him!!

Guest HavenMarra

How very dare you! My comments were actualy useful. Esp if you have bike and other outdoor gear to take!!

I spoke to Northshore about giving appropriate thanks the corect way.

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya

We used Crown Relocations they were fantastic not sure how much they cost as my hubbys company paid and we moved on a 457 visa from the UK too. I guess you know all the facts unless your hubbys employer will pay public school fees here on a 457 visa are $4500 for the year. Newcastle is a fab area there is so much to do for the kids we moved last April and love it. There are some really good areas and some not so good. New Lambton, Kotara, Mereweather, Cooks Hill, Eleebana, Warners Bay and all those areas are fab there are loads more. We do get a lot of rain here sometimes but have to say we have been outdoors constantly now since we got here only had 2 bad weeks of rain. With regards to rental properties just a bit of advice for you bring a copies of your mortgage if you have one to say you never failed on payments, copies of your latest council tax. When you view a rental property you will need to put an application in for the house and the landlord then decides if you are a good match its a crazy system here so different to home. Its all based on points having a job, good refs from mortgage, and bring some personal references from friends and past employers this will all be good for an application if you would like to know anything else pls email me. Depending on how old your kids are the playgroups are fab here for little ones you can look up Playgroups NSW. Theres a bike park at Speers Point very good too. You can download a guide to relocating to Newcastle on the Newcastle City Council webpage has loads of info. Wish you and your family well with your move.

xx

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, Snap. We heading to Newcastle early May. Bit hectic at moment to say the least! Hubby working at airport and we hoping to get a holiday let until our shipment turns up. Aiming for Nelsons Bay at moment.

Getting excited with overwhelming feelings of panic at times also.

• 1 month later...
Guest stanoggs

Hi there,

We made the move to just south of Newcastle (Nords Wharf) in Feb of this year so fully understand what you are going through.

We used a PPS shipping (all of the companies quoted the same and price match, so go with the one you feel will give you the attention and service you need. - PPS were very good we could track where are container was in the world and it arrived safely a couple of weeks a go. No damaged items! Customs inspected Bikes, camping gear and xmas dec's and xmas tree looking for trace of mud or in the case of the xmas dec's pine cones. A top tip we were told was once you have cleaned any items that they are likely to look at - rub on a little bit of Jeyes fluid on to them to re-enforce the cleaned message.

We booked into a holiday house On Raffery's Resort for 8 weeks to begin with just so you can decide were you want to put down roots and give us a chance to look at schools etc..., have a look at their website, ignor the prices on the web site if you deal with them diect you can get a fully furnished unit for around $400 all in for a week.

I second the point about having a good porfolio to hand in on application of a house rental. We got the first house we applied for by having: A letter of employment stating earnings, charater refernces for both me and hubby from our last employers, an up to date credit check done by Experian uk on both of us. We also got a letter from the letting agent we are rentling our house in the UK which stated that we were landlords ourselves (just for some extra brownie points), copies of your Visa's, copies of your passports.. Have all of that info copied multiple times ready to hand in as some house recived multiple applications.

I hope your move goes smoothly and if you need any info or help please private message me and if you would like to meet up we are allways looking to make new friends here.

Regards

Liz, Rich, Aaron (7) and Elsa (4)

Hi there,

We made the move to just south of Newcastle (Nords Wharf) in Feb of this year so fully understand what you are going through.

We used a PPS shipping (all of the companies quoted the same and price match, so go with the one you feel will give you the attention and service you need. - PPS were very good we could track where are container was in the world and it arrived safely a couple of weeks a go. No damaged items! Customs inspected Bikes, camping gear and xmas dec's and xmas tree looking for trace of mud or in the case of the xmas dec's pine cones. A top tip we were told was once you have cleaned any items that they are likely to look at - rub on a little bit of Jeyes fluid on to them to re-enforce the cleaned message.

We booked into a holiday house On Raffery's Resort for 8 weeks to begin with just so you can decide were you want to put down roots and give us a chance to look at schools etc..., have a look at their website, ignor the prices on the web site if you deal with them diect you can get a fully furnished unit for around $400 all in for a week.

I second the point about having a good porfolio to hand in on application of a house rental. We got the first house we applied for by having: A letter of employment stating earnings, charater refernces for both me and hubby from our last employers, an up to date credit check done by Experian uk on both of us. We also got a letter from the letting agent we are rentling our house in the UK which stated that we were landlords ourselves (just for some extra brownie points), copies of your Visa's, copies of your passports.. Have all of that info copied multiple times ready to hand in as some house recived multiple applications.

I hope your move goes smoothly and if you need any info or help please private message me and if you would like to meet up we are allways looking to make new friends here.

Regards

Liz, Rich, Aaron (7) and Elsa (4)

Hi I heard from somehwere tht when u reloacte,the gov also arranges for some accomdation for some days..i think its under settlement program,any idea....can u tell me more on this as to wht shld b done ,iam from India...also dont know any shipping company ,any idea

Hi I heard from somehwere tht when u reloacte,the gov also arranges for some accomdation for some days..i think its under settlement program,any idea....can u tell me more on this as to wht shld b done ,iam from India...also dont know any shipping company ,any idea

The government does not arrange any accommodation for you. If you come on an employer sponsorship visa the employer often does. Other than that you are on your own.

Archived