Airline welfare

sossijchops

Just got off the phone to one of Australia's biggest pet shipping companies and was interested by his comment: 'We avoid using Qantas at all costs because they don't have a good animal welfare system in place. We always use British Airways as they are so good.'

Our dog came out with BA and was fine but was left on the tarmac in Sydney on a Qantas internal for 2 hours ... in the height of summer. Only found out after his flight was late arriving. In truth, the shoddy welfare thing is pervasive ... where else would you see dogs tied to the back of utes doing 110k on the freeway? Or unshorn sheep in parched fields with no shelter when it is 40 degrees ... or live calf/sheep/goat exports ... I could go on.

Guest The Pom Queen

There are quite a few horror stories I could tell with airlines, but they are in the minority thankfully.

I totally agree about the dogs on the back of utes, you are lucky if they are fastened up there are soo many around us that don't even fasten them, it's ok but if that dog has a high prey drive and sees something it wants it will be off the back in a shot:mad:

The worst case I have had to deal with was a guy riding his motorbike at 100kmph down the Monash with a puppy in a cardboard box that came out and bounced down the highway, thankfully the car behind stopped and god must have been watching over that little one that day as although he had multiple injuries and was in ICU for 8 weeks he did pull through.

where else would you see dogs tied to the back of utes doing 110k on the freeway? Or unshorn sheep in parched fields with no shelter when it is 40 degrees ... or live calf/sheep/goat exports ... I could go on.

Sounds like where my parents live in S. Spain. They see people throw puppies/dogs out of car windows all the time, horses and donkeys left on roundabouts for weeks on end with no water, just really horrrible behaviour really.

Archived