short term accomodation - need help

marta

I need help please!

My partner and I are looking for *affordable* short term accomodation (1-2 months) in Melbourne. We have to be in Melbourne by May 2011. During that time (1-2 months) we have to find a flat to rent.

We have lived in London before so we are well aware that rent is not cheap but maybe someone could give us some helps for a start as to where to find short term rentals for example. That would be great and much appreciated!

Guest The Pom Queen

you say affordable how much are you looking to pay, you do realise that the words short term and affordable don't go together lol.

Are you looking for it as a temp place until you find a longer term rental? Is there just the two of you? You have a couple of options, you can go for the fully furnished rentals, usually anything from $400 per week up to $2500 per week, you could go for a cabin on a camp site, again anything from $400 - $1200 pw, you could look at house share between $200 and $500 per week.

I would recommend short term furnished for no longer than a month and then get your own 12 month rental (unfurnished) as this would be the cheaper option.

Well, yes, that was the idea - basically approx 4 weeks short term accomodation and during that time finding a proper place to live. Of course if we find something earlier that would be great.

Flat hunting in London usually takes two to three months but I heard it should be easier in Melbourne. So hopefully we find something after three weeks.

Actually I was also thinking in terms of student accomodation as it's only the two of us and my partner's visa is sponsored by the University of Melbourne. I hope we will find a solution that way.

Thing is we cannot do anything as long as the visa hasn't gone through.

• 1 month later...

I would like to bump this, please.:wubclub:

Just as we were convinced we found something to stay for a while it turns out it might fall through - which is a pain.

So if someone has an idea or even an offer as to where to find an AFFORDABLE place to stay for 2 people for one or two months, starting from June (probably middle of June) which is reasonably near the city centre (I mean, not one hour drive away), then I would love to hear from you!!!

Any advice would be much appreciated as we are getting quite nervous right now as the time is running.

Archived