Need advice from Electricians please

shaza

Hi, I know its been asked before and I know there is an Electricians thread on here but its taking me so long to find the answers I need so if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

My hb is an Electrician and has his own small buisness here in England, were heading to Queensland hopefully somewhere around Sunshine Coast.

Firstly how is the job situation in or around this area? He's not expecting to work for himself when we arrive in Oz and Im really worried he wont find a job when we arrive.

Also how does he go about getting his Qsd license? Can he get it here in England before we go or does he wait til we get to Oz? How long does it take and where does he do it?

Hopefully all you sparkys already living the dream can help me out.

Hi, I know its been asked before and I know there is an Electricians thread on here but its taking me so long to find the answers I need so if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

My hb is an Electrician and has his own small buisness here in England, were heading to Queensland hopefully somewhere around Sunshine Coast.

Firstly how is the job situation in or around this area? He's not expecting to work for himself when we arrive in Oz and Im really worried he wont find a job when we arrive.

Also how does he go about getting his Qsd license? Can he get it here in England before we go or does he wait til we get to Oz? How long does it take and where does he do it?

Hopefully all you sparkys already living the dream can help me out.

Hi there,

Currently, I am in the process of emigrating myself so I can't tell you about the job situation in QLD at present.

I can show you the steps your OH will need to take to obtain a QLD A grade licence.

He has probably been issued with an OTSR ( offshore technical skills record).

Upon arrival in Queensland he will need to apply for a permit to train, enrol at a TAFE (college) or RTO (Registered Training Organisation) and find a job for which he will probably be employed as a trades assistant in order to fill out a log book.

Some links about this,

www.justice.qld.au

www.qet.edu.au (RTO)

When I spoke to Chris Williamson at QET he spoke of a 3 month time frame to getting fully licenced although this is for holders of an ARTC ( Australian Recognised Trades Certificate) and would be longer for holders of an OTSR, and costlier. I think the cost for a ARTC holder is about $1300. Not sure how much it will cost for OTSR holders.

There is a short cut however, though it's not much cheaper unless you factor in that you can get a licence much more quickly via the route I will now explain.

A lot of sparks with an OTSR apply for an ARTC once they have their visa, as only residents of Australia can apply for one. It costs $300 and the link about applying for this is

www.deewr.gov.au

They then apply to PEER VEET to do the wiring regs course which can be done via correspondence from the UK but will involve spending a few days in Adelaide to do the exams. The total cost for this is about $1500. Once they pass they can apply for a South Australian licence which can then be used to obtain a QLD licence under 'mutual recognition'

The consensus is that this is by far the quickest route to obtaining a licence.

It really is a bloody minefield and it took me a while to get my head around it all.

Another useful site is the Electricians forum at www.britishexpats.com. There's heaps of info there.

Hope this helps in some way and I'm sure it will take a while to get your head around it all.

I'm sure you'll have loads more question so feel free to ask, although many of the answers can be found on the british expats electricians forum.

Regards Derren

Thankyou Derren for the reply, wow!! I have no idea what that all means lol.

My hb hasnt got the OTSR as far as I know, how would I know if he has?

I will have a read through the other forum & the links you have sent & hopefully it will all make some sense to me lol. :laugh:

Thankyou Derren for the reply, wow!! I have no idea what that all means lol.

My hb hasnt got the OTSR as far as I know, how would I know if he has?

I will have a read through the other forum & the links you have sent & hopefully it will all make some sense to me lol. :laugh:

Hi Sharon,

I noticed on your time line it shows Vet passed Feb 09. I'm assuming that this is VETASSESS and if so they should have issued a certificate ,namely , the Offshore Technical Skills Record.

Regards Derren

Archived