Light Bulbs

Guest spock

G'day. Or more appropriately, G'night.

Is there any point in stocking up on Morrisons energy saving light bulbs before we leave?

The point I'm getting to is, are light bulb bayonets and screw fittings in Oz the same as the ones in Blighty?:idea:

Cheers,

Spock.

Guest Rachel&Stu

This is not exactly what you've asked for, but...apparently light bulbs are called 'globes' in Australia.

Getting back to the original post - I have also been wondering whether the fittings are the same and whether the Aussies use the energy-saving bulbs/globes.

Rachel x

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for asking, the plans are going well I think. I've placed the application before the 1st Sept deadline, after a successful ACS skills assessment. Just playing the waiting game now. Everything we do or buy, we think, can we take that with us, will we need one of these in Oz, etc.

I've been a bit snowed under with work and open university studies. I recently came back from Jakarta on business, shortly off to Mountain View near San Franciso, taking the missus with me, and added to that I have OU assignments and an exam coming up in October. Somewhere I'll come up for air.

In the spare time that I don't really have, I've been researching our family tree. Ancestry.co.uk has a great 14 day trial period where you can do as many searches as you like. £10 per month after that - I think it's great. And it's so gripping. I started it because I was thinking that my children or future grandchildren would want to know their roots, and all they would know is that they stop at Australia's shore line. I imagine that would be a bit unsatisfactory, like adopted children wanting to meet their real parents.

I bet you regret asking now don't you?

How are your plans coming along?

Cheers,

Spock.

Wow you put me to shame, do you ever stop?

Anyway it's a bit easier for us as I am in the process of applying for a spouse visa, the children have their citizenship by descent so technically they could all bu**er off and leave me, good job they love me I hope.

Keep us posted Spock.

Wendy

• 1 month later...

I wanted to know the answer to the same question - so before starting a new thread thought I'd search the forum and found this thread - Thanks for all the info telling us that they can be called globes or bulbs in OZ - but is it just me or has the real question not been answered yet!!!???

:nah:

What type of fitting do they have over there - is it bayonet or screw fitting?? Reason I'm asking is my OH has a weakness for lamps and we have several Ikea lamps (screw fitting light bulbs) and several traditional lamps (with bayonet fitting light bulbs) - if we bring them over will we be able to find light bulbs to fit them once the bulbs/globes blow or will we be needing to ask a relative to ship a bulk pack of bulbs over every few years!!!!

:idea:

It's not the most interesting question - but I am curious - and could decide whether we can ditch some of the old lamps when we move over there or not (fingers crossed)

(btw the fingers crossed was for getting a visa to move over there not ditching the lamps - just in case my OH reads this post - honest darling I love the lamps!)

:unsure:

This is not exactly what you've asked for, but...apparently light bulbs are called 'globes' in Australia.

Getting back to the original post - I have also been wondering whether the fittings are the same and whether the Aussies use the energy-saving bulbs/globes.

Rachel x

We aren't that far backward you know? :wub:

Australian light fittings and Uk fittings are the same, large bayonet and small bayonet fittings and large and small screw fittings.

The old type of globe is being fazed out with the new more energy efficient type globes all with the same fittings though.

Tisme, Brilliant - straight answer to a straight question - thank you very much.:)

But it does mean it looks like we have to keep all our lamps - Doh!! :twitcy:

Archived