More retarded questions-visa cost

chiara

Ok, so hubby is going to apply for a skilled migrant visa 175, which will cost 6k dollars according to the gov migration website. However, a friend has just suggested that each member of the family will have to pay that also. That can't be right can it? We have 5 children so it would be very expensive. Please enlighten me!

The 6k figure is from the australian government immigration website and is for a 175 visa. It says you pay 3,500k at the time of applying and 2,500 when it's accepted (I think...something like that).

So would the children (who are all native english speakers) all be charged as well as myself?)

Hi Chiara,

I just looked at the immi, site, thought they couldn't have put the prices up so much since I applied in Novemeber, you only pay the 1st instalment when you apply, the 2nd instalment is only for people who don't speak good english? who may require tuition on entering OZ, my husband was included on my application, wouldn't your kids be included on your, only 1 fee payable for the both of us.

Sharon

Hi,

The cost of the 175 visa is $2575 Australian Dollars (AUD2575)..This is for all applicants on the visa you and your children are dependents of the main applicant so no additional charge.

2nd instalment - 3575 Australian Dollars (AUD3575) is only paid if an applicant over the age of 18 has limited/doesn't speak English.

I'm assuming you are all British citizens that speak fluent English therefore you only pay the 1st installment.

As for you working you can work with no need to apply for your own visa because when your 175 is granted you all become residents in your own right.

Hope this helps

Wendy

Ah, thanks ladies...you see, I'm bad at reading the small print-- I thought the second installment was for everyone--that is very good news. Now, my next question is, what is the first thing I do? Do I fill out the online application first, pay the fee and wait or is there something else I do first?

Hi Chiara,

there are a few things you need before pressing the big button and paying your money. Does your hubby have a positive skills assessment? What trade is he? You mentioned 176, do you want to apply for State Sponsorship, if so you need this in place before applying to DIAC.

Sharon

Guest Magnetic6

Before you can apply for a skilled visa your husband has to have his skills assessed by a recognised authority/board which are listed on the DIAC website. I'd go and have a really good read of the site and make sure you're eligible and have the necessary points.

Once you're certain of that he needs to get the required assessment.

As a Civil Engineer your husband would need to get a positive skills assessment from Engineers Australia. They usually require a degree in a related field, or a HNC with approx 10 years experience (with this option you would normally have to complete a Competency Demonstration Report (CDR)).

As for the 175 visa, I'm sure a lot of people on here will tell you that there is a long wait for these to be granted (18 months plus) as they are Priority 3. If you gain State Sponsorship, and I'm sure that Civil Engineer is on a few of them, and progress under a 176 visa then the wait time once your application is submitted is approx 6-12 months.

This whole process isn't a quick one and you a lot of people on here have taken years to get to the stage they have. We first thought about this 5 years ago, and we instructed our agent nearly a year ago and we aren't yet at the visa application submission stage what with all the rule changes.

You may also want to bear in mind that the points test is changing in July as well.

Natmark, thanks--things are starting to get a little clearer. How does one go about getting state sponsorship? I thought the 176 required a job offer with sponsorship... so let me be clear, the first thing we need to do is get his engineering qualification authenticated with Engineers australia... is that the first step or is there even more? I'm beginning to see why you might use an agent....

Hi Chiara,

the skills assessment is the place to start, you need it for the 175 and 176. The State sponsorship only requires you to commit to living in the State for 2 years, so have a look at the State migration sites to see if they are offering sponsorship for your hubbies trade, I googled 'Migrate to South Australia, Victoria, NSW etc'. You are responsible for finding your own employment, State Sponsorship does not guarantee a job down there. It is a lot to take in, but this site is invaluable as I'm sure you already appreciate, lots of people at varying stages of the migration journey.

Sharon

Natmark, thanks--things are starting to get a little clearer. How does one go about getting state sponsorship? I thought the 176 required a job offer with sponsorship... so let me be clear, the first thing we need to do is get his engineering qualification authenticated with Engineers australia... is that the first step or is there even more? I'm beginning to see why you might use an agent....

We have used an agent who has been invaluable and well worth the money. We used John Adams at immigration2oz but I'm sure that there are loads of other ones who are just as good. A lot of them will give you a free 5-10 min consulation over the phone.

Your first step in the process though would be to obtain the Skills Assessment from Engineers Australia. Their website should explain what they require and how much their fee is.

You can't apply for State Sponsorship until you have a positive skills assessment. You don't need a job offer but you do have to agree to reside in that particular state for the first 2 years should your application be successful.

Some states do require an IELTS english test as well as a positive skills assessment. If you're a native British speaker then shouldn't be too difficult to achieve.

Once you've got State Sponsorship then you can submit your visa application to the DIAC.

Hope this helps

Thanks guys, I feel better now, I thought state sponsorship required a job offer in advance..,.am I right in thinking it doesn't. My husband has been told by recruitment agencies that there is definitely work for him but he needs to organise his own visa before they'll talk to him....

You don't need to have a job in advance to apply for state sponsorship.

I would suggest having a chat with an agent who maybe can clear up any confusion for you. Just to let you know that our agent's fees were approx £1600 and worth every penny in my opinion!

State sponsorship does not require a job in advance for the permanent 176 visa - this is only for the temporary visa. Some assessing bodies require IELTS for the skills assessment in which case this would be your first step (I am an Accountant and CPAA require IELTS scores of 7 in each area for skills assessment).

Archived