We are buying our first house in Oz

BuddysMum

As I have said before, our finances have taken a bit of a battering with our move over here. It wasn't a great time to sell our house in UK (but we were able to sell, so not moaning!) and not a great time to transfer our money over.

Steve's job here is a bit of a compromise as he can't get the same type of IT work here in Central Queensland, but this is where we want to be, so happy to make that "sacrifice" and the drop in salary.

We have been renting a fairly new, large lowset home on a new estate for the last year. We knew we would not be able to afford to buy a house like this for many years, if ever. That's ok too. I prefer to not have a McMansion anyway, really.

Our lease is coming up for renewal, and with the new industry moving to the area (LNG) we are seeing huge real estate price rises. LNG are determined to not pay these inflated prices, but the chancers with property or land to sell are still trying to cash in on all the migration of new workers to the area.

So....we have been looking, with no real sense of urgency for a place we can afford without a huge mortgage (less than $400.000), which doesn't need major reno as we don't have time (or ability really) to do that well.

We have found a lovely highset (more space for your dollar) in a nice area with a lovely level plot and room for an above ground pool initially, with a view to making it in-ground eventually.

th_newhousefront.jpg

click to enlarge

th_newhouselounge.jpg

We are still awaiting the inspection on Thursday, but that is the last condition to be met and we think it should be fine. Probably ready to move into on 1st March.

Very exciting.

Still very happy in Australia. Still loving our new life!

Guest siamsusie

It looks wonderful Annette, I love those trees!

Good luck with it all, this is what I love about PIO being able to see how folk progress!

love Susie x

Archived