TESOL Course - Should I do it?

Sibella

I have an opportunity to do a four month Trinity TESOL course here in the UK before we move to Australia as the course is much cheaper here.

I would like to find out if it would be worth my while to do it. Is there jobs available?

I don't have a degree in teaching but would I be able to maybe work in a primary school as a teaching assistant teaching English (as a second language)?

Or would language schools be my best bet?

I would prefer to teach children than adults so would like to find out if there are any opportunites and if it would be worth my while to do this course.

• 2 weeks later...

Quoll has some info on TA's in Aus, but if I remember right they are not a qualified position in Aus and really hard to get. Most unqualified mums who want to do a job that fits in with the kids school hrs do it for rubbish pay. So it wouldn't fit the criteria for skills or get you sponsored if you could even find a job doing it given the competition.

do it for rubbish pay. .

government language courses (like AMES) pay TESOL teachers up to 78 per hour

private go as low as 30

well....you definitely need proper qualifications to work for government

private sector is not so fussy :)

Quoll has some info on TA's in Aus, but if I remember right they are not a qualified position in Aus and really hard to get. Most unqualified mums who want to do a job that fits in with the kids school hrs do it for rubbish pay. So it wouldn't fit the criteria for skills or get you sponsored if you could even find a job doing it given the competition.

We already have our visas - I plan on staying at home until the kids are settled but thought I would get a skill here which I can use in Aus. Language school sound the best bet but are there an overload of teachers or would I be able to find work??

We already have our visas - I plan on staying at home until the kids are settled but thought I would get a skill here which I can use in Aus. Language school sound the best bet but are there an overload of teachers or would I be able to find work??

If that the case and your OH will be the main wage earner a TA job or private language school may fit the bill. How much language teaching you'd do as a TA who knows!

If you want to work with kids and want to study do first aid. Seems they want everyone to have it (from the many jobs advertised) not just an appointed person as in the UK.

Hi really difficult to give you a definitive on this one. Certainly there are many migrants who have ESL problems but there doesn't seem to be a way in to the formal schools and colleges unless you are triple verified. I think the private route is best possibly even advertising locally where you settle. The Chinese community here for example are very much into hiring private tutors for their kids for everything. Some of these 'tutors' are simply older high school students. There does not seem to be a bar on hiring yourself out as anything here just the price. Consider making yourself some business cards, suss out the rates and the opposition and off you go!

Thanks I'm going to give it a go. At least its a new skill I might be able to use and I see they do give some credit for it at Australian universities so it might be worth it in the end.

Wish me luck!!!

Good Luck :)

Archived