What can we take with us

gaz n family

This to many will come as a silly question but i will ask it anyway.

As the wife is in here spring clean and down sizing junk mode she has asked.

Can we take cuddly toys (teddies) to Australia, can they be packed in the container with the house goods and can our daughter take her bedtime teddy with us in our luggage (thank god its only a small one)?

I know, any excuse to get rid of the dust traps

We unforunately have teddies!! They are packed in boxes to be shipped. They will asi be in suitcases and one in the hand luggage. We did have 3 black bags full of teddies some of them were scary looking! Lol.

They were allowed 3-4 each but my youngest is a build a bear fan so some of our teddies are very well dressed!

Guest bushell and hernandez

how about electrical items, i.e computers or laptops, i know their plug sockets are different, but can you run our electrical items through adaptors?

Guest BrightonBoys

Hi All

I was told I can't take any baskets, cane furniture, candles, cow hide rugs, and whicker stuff! from what I can gather is if it has been treated it is ok but most basket and cane stuff isnt!

Others may tell you different as it seems differnt companies seem to say differnt things!

Guest GemandJay

Hello

What I'm worried about is we have a large and very heavy wooden kitchen table I know they are really strict when it comes to wood. Plus my OH is a carpenter and needs to be able to take all his tools???

A list somewhere of what we can and can't would be really helpful, anyone seen or got anything?

Also (now please don't laugh) when my Dad moved to South of France he took his satelite dish with him and as he has kept a UK bank account still has UK sky do you think it would wotk down under?

Thanks

Gemma

Hello

What I'm worried about is we have a large and very heavy wooden kitchen table I know they are really strict when it comes to wood. Plus my OH is a carpenter and needs to be able to take all his tools???

A list somewhere of what we can and can't would be really helpful, anyone seen or got anything?

Also (now please don't laugh) when my Dad moved to South of France he took his satelite dish with him and as he has kept a UK bank account still has UK sky do you think it would wotk down under?

Thanks

Gemma

Gem this sound like a silly question but is your OHs carpentry wooden?!?!

how about electrical items, i.e computers or laptops, i know their plug sockets are different, but can you run our electrical items through adaptors?

Or pop into a hardware store and buy Aussie plugs and have a rewiring session. :)

Guest GemandJay
Gem this sound like a silly question but is your OHs carpentry wooden?!?!

Noooooooo but they are so strict about wood and his tools will be covered in sawdust etc, been told today they must be cleaned if not when stuff us shipped out they will quarantine and clean for you and charge you a fortune for the honour.

I thought your OH was fred flintstone!!

It needs to be cleaned.

Rich is sending his bike and we need to clean that. Mud/soil is also a no no!

We got told that wooden furniture is fine as long as it is in good condition and is not rough untreated wood of any kind. We were also told that they don't like antiques, wicker, feathers (duvets etc included) and bikes etc have to be cleaned. They don't like gardening stuff.

My hubby has just shipped all of his tool box and tools (motor mechanic) seperately as he needs them over there now and he spent days having to clean the box and tools to get any grease, oil and muck of them!:eek:

We are taking everything so fingers crossed it's all clean enough and I don't leave a pine cone on my christmas decorations! :no:

Feather duvets/pillows are fine as the feathers have been cleaned and treated. A peacock feather picked up in a field is not fine.

Wooden furniture is also OK.

Antiques are also OK but if there are signs of woodworm/infestation on anything you need to provide evidence that it has been treated and is now clear.

Anything outdoor, including shoes need to be CLEAN.

They are looking for mud,straw etc anything that might bear fungus or insects that will pose a threat to agriculture/animals in Oz.

Guest outnumbered

I have been told by a friend that you can't take Brio train sets. Does anyone know if this is true? If it is, I will have one very unhappy little boy:sad:

Thanks, Liz

Guest GemandJay
I thought your OH was fred flintstone!!

It needs to be cleaned.

Rich is sending his bike and we need to clean that. Mud/soil is also a no no!

Jodie, is Rich's bike a push bike or a motor bike. Jay is taking his motor bike but no idea where to start looking for forms etc to start the ball rolling can you shove me in the right direction.

Thanks x

Of course you can take Brio, the wood is treated and safe for young children so no issues.

If in doubt declare the item clearly and ensure it is easily accessible if customs want to have a look.

Their favourite twig collection is another matter..........

We read up on it on the Australian Immigration site - you can't take rattan, cane or bamboo. No untreated wooden objects. No sheepskin rugs (skin totally prohibited). So I've had to get rid of all my baskets and will have to lose my beautiful rug which we've had for 22 years! The site is a good one and your shipper will also give you a comprehensive list.

Jodie, is Rich's bike a push bike or a motor bike. Jay is taking his motor bike but no idea where to start looking for forms etc to start the ball rolling can you shove me in the right direction.

Thanks x

Pushbike. He doesn't make the motorbike noises very often whilst out riding! Lol

I need to clean the bike,take off pedals and loosen front wheel and handlebars so they can pack it in a bike box.

Were only taking a bike,a few boxes and some pictures.

Hi I'm a carpenter joiner, I've got to ship all my tools, what I've done is take all my tools to work and the ones I can manage without ie chopsaw, router, sds I blew off with air hose then cleaned up with lite oil. They now boxed or wrapped in clingwrap till they need to be shipped,my tools I'm still using I will clean as and when we get our visa's granted. I know how you feel but if you don't clean them all properly they will sting you at immigration for cleaning.

Guest GemandJay
Pushbike. He doesn't make the motorbike noises very often whilst out riding! Lol

I need to clean the bike,take off pedals and loosen front wheel and handlebars so they can pack it in a bike box.

Were only taking a bike,a few boxes and some pictures.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I've got this picture in my head and am sitting at my desk laughing to myself and the girls at work are giving me fummy looks ha ha ha x

Errr Jodie who's bike is it and WHO is doing the cleaning something isn't right there LOL x

Guest outnumbered
Of course you can take Brio, the wood is treated and safe for young children so no issues.

If in doubt declare the item clearly and ensure it is easily accessible if customs want to have a look.

Their favourite twig collection is another matter..........

Thank you - I did think not allowing Brio in was a bit extreme:yes:

As for the twig and pebble collections...hopefully the promise of shells and sandy beaches may compensate :laugh:

Archived