Families in Manly?

scimum

Hi there

My husband and I have just come over to Sydney with our three boys and are looking for a place to rent. He will be working in the CBD a short walk from Circular Quay and really likes the idea of commuting on the ferry. We are definitely looking for places with a short commute and a walk from a good beach. We are prepared to pay a good whack of his salary towards this goal, rather than looking somewhere further out which costs less but where we won't see him so much and visiting the beach after work will become less achievable.

Manly looks great and the boys definitely enjoyed our visit to the beach yesterday. But I've heard that it is a place better for singles than families and I would really like to hear from any families that live in the area or have lived there before, to hear what they think of it.

Thanks

Sam

Hi Sam

Manly has a reputation of being for the singles however there has been much work done by the local council and police to clean it up and make it 'family friendly'...

I live a couple of beaches up in Dee Why and know many happy families on the Northern Beaches, Manly included... It really is a great place to live.

For commuting by ferry, I wouldn't rule out Manly, Freshwater or Dee Why - all are do-able with the ferry and a quick bus ride and the price of the ticket is the same ($41 a week for all bus, train & ferry rides!)...

Try to stick to the east of the Pittwater Road and you won't go too far wrong :)

Good luck

Cx

Good luck with your application. We are a family living in Manly and love it. (Having moved from a small and quiet country village in England I wasn't sure I'd ike it, but I do!) Our daughter walks to school and round Manly really safely, and there is always something to do. We spend a lot of time making the most of being by the beach. We are at the Queenscliff end (the other end to Manly Cove) which is a bit removed from some of the noisier aspects of Manly, but still a very easy walk to everything. As a previous poster said, Manly council is really trying hard to make Manly more a place for families. Hope you enjoy it too!

Archived