Parent Visa(s)

Guest SigmaBond

Guest SigmaBond

Heya experts and/or agents on this forum.

I am a permanent resident. My mum (not a permanent resident) has never been married and I am an only child.

I applied for a visa 103 for my mum a while ago - and we were told that there is currently over 20, 000 applicants in front of her in the queue, which is equivalent to a wait of 20 years (if not more). Ridiculous!

The 103 visa cost is in 2 installments - 1) $1735 and 2) $1510 (which is paid to the department just before the visa is granted, i.e. hasn't been paid yet).

My mum will be ready shortly to afford a 143 visa, which is also in 2 installments - 1) $1735 and 2) $37 965. Apparently there's only 30 other applicants for this subclass at the moment - equivalent to a few months wait.

My question is, when she's got the $37 965 handy, do we have to fill out all of the forms all over again and repeat the medical tests and start the whole process all over again to get the 143? Or can we simply change to a 143 visa by advising the department that she can afford the $37 965 for the second installment for a 143 visa?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Guest Guest31881

Medicals and police checks only last 12 months and you should not organise these until asked to by your CO.

Take a look at the parents thread, here is the link.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/77756-brand-new-pio-parents-visa-thread.html

You may find the answer in there or if you post on that thread you will be talking to members who have gone through the process, Good Luck.

Heya experts and/or agents on this forum.

I am a permanent resident. My mum (not a permanent resident) has never been married and I am an only child.

I applied for a visa 103 for my mum a while ago - and we were told that there is currently over 20, 000 applicants in front of her in the queue, which is equivalent to a wait of 20 years (if not more). Ridiculous!

The 103 visa cost is in 2 installments - 1) $1735 and 2) $1510 (which is paid to the department just before the visa is granted, i.e. hasn't been paid yet).

My mum will be ready shortly to afford a 143 visa, which is also in 2 installments - 1) $1735 and 2) $37 965. Apparently there's only 30 other applicants for this subclass at the moment - equivalent to a few months wait.

My question is, when she's got the $37 965 handy, do we have to fill out all of the forms all over again and repeat the medical tests and start the whole process all over again to get the 143? Or can we simply change to a 143 visa by advising the department that she can afford the $37 965 for the second installment for a 143 visa?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi

We originally applied for the 103 and a few months later switched to the 173/143. We contacted DIAC and we had to complete a new application form 47PA and Form 40 plus a new First Visa Instalment.

The waiting time for a case officer for the 173/143 is currently about 15 months. As medicals/police checks are usually only valid for one year, then, yes, your mum would have to redo medicals and PCs if they have expired by the time she gets a case officer. Most people waiting for the CPV do not get these done until the CO asks for them.

Having said that, I have recently heard a rumour that when you switch from a 103 to a 143 the time you have been waiting on the 103 is taken into consideration. I don't know if this is true and I have emailed the Parents Visa Centre in Perth for clarification.

I don't know how long ago your mum applied for the 103 but it is possible that if she switched to the 143 then she might get her visa granted fairly soon. You might want to also try to get clarification on this as she would need to make sure she had the funds for the second VAC. It would be interesting to know what the situation is. I will certainly post again on here if I get an answer from the PVC. I will chase them again this week.

Guest SigmaBond

Hey Linday,

It's only been a few months since mum applied for 103. I have heard rumours that the second installment of $37 965 is "a bond", that's returned to the applicant after 2 years?

Is that true?

40K is a lot of money! :-(

Guest cazbeckham

Signabond

We came over on a 143 and NO the second instalment is not a bond and not returned.

Additionally you will have to sponsor your Mum and pay a $14,000 bond which is returned after 10 years with interest after any monies claimed at Centrelink have been deducted if you claim any at all.

Yes 40k is a lot of money but if you want to come here then that's the price us poor parents have to pay.

Good Luck to your Mum

• 2 months later...
Guest vitieubao

Hi there,

In the process of switching visa application 103 to 143 for my parent. I have send an email to Parent Visa Centre (Department of Immigration And Citizenship) as following:

I am writing this email regarding to the matter of switching parent visa

application subclass 103 to 143. Sadly, as the result of significant

reduction in granting parent visa 103 quota, my parent may not be able to

migrant to Australia as the process queue currently too long in visa

subclass 103 - they may get old and died before visa granted :( . Please,

advise me the procedure to switch to visa subclass 143 application as my

parent has already applied visa subclass 103 application since 2009

(currently, the parent visa queue calculator give the result of 11250 ahead

of my parent visa application).

Best regards,

and have received reply as following:

Dear Sir/Madam

Many thanks for your enquiry. Yes, it is possible to switch from parent

subclass 103 to contributory subclasses 143 or 173. Complete new Forms

47PA and Form 40 and post them to the address below together with a new

First Visa Instalment of AUD$1,735.00.

The First Visa Instalment can be waived only if the visa application for

subclass 103 was lodged before 27 June 2003. If the visa application for

subclass 103 was submitted after 27 June 2003, then, the payment of a new

First Visa Instalment of AUD$1,735.00 is mandatory.

At this stage, you don't need to provide other documents, rather than Forms

47PA and 40. New documents will only be requested if their validity has

expired.

The time spent while subclass 103 was on a queue is usually considered when

switching to a contributory parent subclass.

For further information, including the new fees (from 01 July 2010) for the

Second Visa Application Charges, you may wish to visit our website:

Department of Immigration & Citizenship

Please do not reply to the sender of this email as you will receive no

response. All email enquiries must be directed to: parents@immi.gov.au

You may also make enquiries via telephone by calling 1300 652 421 (if you

are calling from Australia) or by calling 61 1300 652 421 (if you are

calling from overseas).

Parent visa applications or any related document must be posted to:

Parent Visa Centre

Locked Bag 7

Northbridge WA 6865

AUSTRALIA

Yours sincerely

Administration Team

Parent Visa Centre

Department of Immigration And Citizenship

Hopefully, this gives you a bit of information.

Hi My wife and I are on a 103 and have been in the queue since Sep 2007, we are still over 6000 applicants from the top, with an annual intake of 700 applicants, I leave you to do the maths.

We are now in the process of moving over to a 143. We expect to be getting our visa's' within 12 months because they are currently processing 2009 applicants for the 143, we have been told that we will be given priority because our queue date remains Sep 2007.

In OZ at the moment and having medicals done just before we leave because it's so much cheaper. But back to UK in April to submit new visa paperwork

Hope this helps

Archived