Gold Coast - 1 week in!

NZStidz

Hi there,

Well this week has flown by but I thought I would just update everyone!

We left New Zealand VERY early on Monday 3rd Jan and arrived on the Gold Coast at 7.15am. Hubby's work had organised a hire car to be waiting for us, it was prepaid so no dramas there, really easy. Arrived at Ashmore Palms Holiday Village and our cabin wasn't ready, we had thought as much so we dropped a few bags off there and went off for a drive. Went up the Q1 to show our boys and they were speechless at the views, endless beaches as far as the eye could see! After some morning tea in the lovely cafe up there we went to the Supermarket to get some basics. Back to Ashmore and the cabin was ready - it is perfect, we are only the second family to stay in it and it is clean, modern and has everything we could possibly need. We went in the pool, unpacked and generally relaxed. Fantastic day!

The next day we activated our bank accounts at NAB Surfers Paradise, the lady (Kerry) was great, very talkative so it could have been quicker but she was lovely so we were happy to chat! We then went to get our driving licenses, no surprises there, we had the forms already printed and filled out so it took about 15 minutes or so. We then drove around Varsity Lakes and Robina looking at the outside of some properties we had our eye on from realestate.com.au. Some were very disappointing but later that day a new one popped up on the internet that was perfect (well above our original budget but we realised why many of the homes were so cheap!) - I rang straight away and made an appointment for the next day. Went to a Telstra store and scored myself an iphone4!

Wednesday - we had a lovely visit from some friends from the UK who were in Sydney on holiday, they flew up for the day! We took them to Kurrawa Surf Club for breakfast then did a Duck Tour - then went to see the property - it was absolutely ideal so we grabbed the rental applications and decamped to the nearest coffee shop to complete them, they were back with the agent within half an hour. We got an email first thing the following morning to say our application had been accepted and we move in on the 24th Jan! So I think speed is of the essence, be prepared with copies of your passports, bank card and driving license.

We have collected hubby's company car from Brisbane and will drop off the hire car tomorrow.

We collected the dog from the cargo company at the airport on Thursday night - no problems there.

So all in all there have been no surprises and we feel very settled already - we also attended an "Expats on the GoldCoast" meet up at Paradise Point yesterday which was great.

My advice is be prepared, be prepared, be prepared.

Loving life on the Gold Coast!

:biggrin:

Guest guest36187

To arrive on teh GC at 715 you must have been early leaving!! Lol!

Good to hear that you are here safely and getting settled.

Good Luck xx

Archived