Lakemba Sydney

matto

Guest Dave53

Lakemba is in a very handy location , has good road and rail links and is close to shopping . Lakemba is also home to 70% of Australia's Muslims and has a large Mosque . Naturally I don't know whether that would be attractive or otherwise to you , and would not wish to make that judgement .. It is a very crowded environment , so if space is a consideration that may be problematic . You won't see many Anglo faces in the street and the English language is definitely not first choice there . I would advise checking out the area before making any decision.

Dave C

Guest Guest40285

Mate I would stay well away from there, I was a factory foreman there for four years, It aint a place to move to unless your a Muslim or Lebanese, dont get me wrong I have lots of Lebo mates but I wouldn't live there if you paid me.

Happy days

Cheers Matt

Guest Dave53
Mate I would stay well away from there, I was a factory foreman there for four years, It aint a place to move to unless your a Muslim or Lebanese, dont get me wrong I have lots of Lebo mates but I wouldn't live there if you paid me.

Happy days

Cheers Matt

That's what I wanted to say , but you said it all for me ... Thanks

Dave C

Guest Master Korasoff

"I wouldn't live there is you paid me" " the sort of place you wipe your feet on the way out", what sort of sook is scared to live in Lakemba? because there are a lot of Muslims? Do you think the skips from Newcastle or Caboolture will give you a chance? or the sons of poms from the northern suburbs of Adelaide? These areas are far worse for a young family than Lakemba.

Lakemba is a first rate area with some of the prettiest ladies in the country. This may come as a surprise to a proud British Bulldog but this is not a British country. Lebanese were some of the first people in Australia. I for one would much rather go out with a Muslim girl because they are a lot cleaner than most lower class poms. We have a saying here in Oz, 'don't take a Yorkshire girl out on friday night because saturday is her bath night.

"I wouldn't live there is you paid me" " the sort of place you wipe your feet on the way out", what sort of sook is scared to live in Lakemba? because there are a lot of Muslims? Do you think the skips from Newcastle or Caboolture will give you a chance? or the sons of poms from the northern suburbs of Adelaide? These areas are far worse for a young family than Lakemba.

Lakemba is a first rate area with some of the prettiest ladies in the country. This may come as a surprise to a proud British Bulldog but this is not a British country. Lebanese were some of the first people in Australia. I for one would much rather go out with a Muslim girl because they are a lot cleaner than most lower class poms. We have a saying here in Oz, 'don't take a Yorkshire girl out on friday night because saturday is her bath night.

OP never mentioned Newcastle, Adelaide or Caboolture.

He mentioned Lakemba and I am sure as a family man he is not interested in the pretty ladies or how clean they are, sure there are plenty scumbags in other places like you mentioned and I would not generalize and say everyone in Lakemba is like that because I know that to be untrue.......but I can assure you there is more than the fair share around there.

Guest Master Korasoff

No doubt Lakemba is not everyone's cup of tea. Mate all jokes aside I was once a young family man myself and had young kids (they are grown up now) and of course it is not the same when you have a young family to consider. This is especially so if matto is like I was, too poor to send his kids anywhere but a state school. I accept without hesitation your proposition that Lakemba has more than its fair share of scumbags.

I guess the point of comparing with other cheap areas is that you get what you pay for. Matto seemed to be looking for a cheap suburb somewhere in Sydney in which to raise his young family. Lets call a spade a spade, there are no cheap areas close to major cities and with good infrastructure which do not have more than their fair share of scumbags. When I called Lakemba a first rate area I was not comparing it to Double Bay or Turramurra, I call it first rate compared to other cheap areas.

Dave made the really good point that Lakemba has a handy location close to shopping and has good road and rail links. It is also closer to the city than any other part of Sydney with similar house prices. As an Englishman I am not sure that matto realizes how important this can be in Oz. Here most jobs are close to the city while most cheap areas are further from the city than Lakemba.

Newcastle, Caboolture and Northern Adelaide suburbs have no work and are a long way from work for most people. If you were looking for similar house prices to Lakemba you would be looking at a much longer trip to work (don't forget distances are much greater here than in England), far fewer services and above all much poorer infrastructure. At least if your kids get sick in Lakemba they won't die waiting to be admitted to a public hospital as happens here in cheap outer suburban or rural and regional areas with poor infrastructure.

On the other hand as the title of my post suggests, there is always a trade off, and here the second part of Dave's letter becomes relevant. Your kids are Anglo presumably, so you might not want to send them to a public school where they would be a minority, as they would undoubtedly be in Lakemba. However there is no way known that 70% of Australia's Muslims live in Lakemba. That is as silly as saying that 70% of Muslims in England live in Bradford. Most cheap parts of Sydney and Melbourne have loads of Muslims and other non whites. It is the same in Britain, if you don't have much money and want your white kids to go to a state school where they are not a minority (and this is not racism just common sense), you have to go to a less urban area with fewer jobs and poorer services.

Lakemba is somewhere I would not go to. The majority of violent crime reports in Sydney papers are from Lakemba and the surrounding areas.

As others have said the area has a heavy muslim non-english speaking population. In the 2006 census 42% of the Lakemba population were muslim (Sydney overall was 4% muslim) and 74% of the Lakemba population did not speak english at home (30% in the overall the Sydney area).

The area also has significantly more labourers/machine operators than the sydney average (as well as significantly lower managers and professionals) which explain the house cost differences.

For more census information check out the councils website: Key Statistics - Lakemba - Canterbury City Council Community Profile

Funny enough that is where the MEOCS is based.

This tragic death will have political ramifications. For a start, something went seriously wrong with our immigration program if a whole police squad must now be dedicated to the crimes of just one ethnic group:

THE police officer shot in the head during a drug raid last night has lost his fight for life.

William Crews, 26, a constable attached to the Middle Eastern Organised Crime Squad, died in hospital earlier this morning, it has been confirmed…

Constable Crews was taking part in a search warrant relating to the sale of prohibited drugs when a number of shots were fired from an apartment block in Cairds Ave, Bankstown, just after 9pm.

Source

• 3 weeks later...

Would not live in Lakemba especially with a young family. I worked in a couple of schools there when I was younger and the behaviour and conduct was atrocious to say the least. Some of these schools were private schools. I have two young children and I would rather move back to the UK then live there!

This is just my point of view from my own personal experience!

Archived