Tax Rebates

TheOptimist

Hi all. Sorry this is a rather dull subject for the biggest party day of the year. :embarrassed:.

But does anyone know how to go about claiming back tax? I am leaving for Oz on 2nd Feb and think I should be entitled to claim at least a couple of months tax back, and think I have seen somewhere there is a specific form if you are leaving the country, but don't seem to be able to find said form anywhere. Perhaps I have to wait to receive my P45?

If anyone knows how to go about doing this I would really appreciate your help/advice.

Thanks, and have a Happy New Year all. :cute:

Hi all. Sorry this is a rather dull subject for the biggest party day of the year. :embarrassed:.

But does anyone know how to go about claiming back tax? I am leaving for Oz on 2nd Feb and think I should be entitled to claim at least a couple of months tax back, and think I have seen somewhere there is a specific form if you are leaving the country, but don't seem to be able to find said form anywhere. Perhaps I have to wait to receive my P45?

If anyone knows how to go about doing this I would really appreciate your help/advice.

Thanks, and have a Happy New Year all. :cute:

Morning Kat,

As you have a limited time to sort this out if i were you i would round up all of the relevant paperwork and go to your local tax office and wait probably in a queue to talk to someone rather than trying to do it by post which will take forever, you may not get the money owed to you before you go but you may be able to at least get the wheels in motion and then claim the money when in Australia.

Morning Kat,

As you have a limited time to sort this out if i were you i would round up all of the relevant paperwork and go to your local tax office and wait probably in a queue to talk to someone rather than trying to do it by post which will take forever, you may not get the money owed to you before you go but you may be able to at least get the wheels in motion and then claim the money when in Australia.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for this. Yes, its all a bit confusing. I think though that I can't do anything until I have my P45 which I won't get until after I have left for Oz, but was hoping to get all the relevant forms filled in so I can do it when I get there. Annoying really. Good advice to find a local tax office so will look into that and maybe give them a call.

Thanks!

Guest sh7t man no way

have a look on there website kat (inland revenue)--theres heaps of info on it--im pretty sure you have to fill in some type of form to let the tax office know that you will not be resedent in the uk after you leave for aus--have you applied for your aus tax file number yet:wubclub:

have a look on there website kat (inland revenue)--theres heaps of info on it--im pretty sure you have to fill in some type of form to let the tax office know that you will not be resedent in the uk after you leave for aus--have you applied for your aus tax file number yet:wubclub:

Hi Al.

Thanks. Yes, spoke to my tax office earlier (thanks Andy). There is a form called a P85 and you need to fill on parts 2 and 3, then forward back to Inland Revenue, which can be done from either the UK or Oz.

Hope this might help others who are as disorganised as I am!

Hi Al.

Thanks. Yes, spoke to my tax office earlier (thanks Andy). There is a form called a P85 and you need to fill on parts 2 and 3, then forward back to Inland Revenue, which can be done from either the UK or Oz.

Hope this might help others who are as disorganised as I am!

Yes - that is what I did on arrival. Given that it is so late in the tax year you may not get much of a refund though but there should be something.

Happy New Year.

PS: Don't forget to bring your certificate of no claims bonus from your car insurer (if you have one). It will be useful to have here if you plan on insuring a car.

Yes - that is what I did on arrival. Given that it is so late in the tax year you may not get much of a refund though but there should be something.

Happy New Year.

PS: Don't forget to bring your certificate of no claims bonus from your car insurer (if you have one). It will be useful to have here if you plan on insuring a car.

Happy New Year Fleabo.

It won't be much of a rebate - but better than nothing!

Archived