Nursing Qualifications

Wildrover

Don't expect to get registration overnight. If you have time before you emigrate you are fine, but do put it in ASAP. If you need it in a hurry, Good luck. My application has been in since August. We are on the final stage though, last extra docs requested. Should have answer in next week or so. Was told on Thursday if I had not heard this week to get back on the phone....

Hi Helen,

Has yours also gone to the board?

Hi Helen,

Has yours also gone to the board?

No its not gone to the board its just at the final assessment stage after they request extra docs to confirm my ID. If it doesnt get recommended for registration at this stage, then it will go to the board. Emma said she is sorting it ASAP. I sent her an reply to her email tonight, just to keep my name in her head and prompt her to let me know NOW.........Please, its only a matter of days. I feel it in my waters:arghh::arghh::arghh:

Hi guys, can I please have some clarification on the whole registtation topic. I am needing my skills assessment for my visa, I was going to go through the ANMC website. Is this correct or should I be getting my skills assessed via the AHPRA site or is this for later down the line? If its the latter when in the process do I involve the ANMC?

Thanks

Liz

Hi Guys

Hope you can help?

We are in the process of applying to Vic for SS. I have had my ANMC & IELTS all assessed. I am now just about to start to apply to APHRA for registration. Has anyone asked ANMC to pass on their certified docs to APHRA or are you all getting the sames docs certified again.

It all just seems that we are spending so much money when things could be simplified if one process was in communication with others!

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Guest Guest 47403
Hi guys, can I please have some clarification on the whole registtation topic. I am needing my skills assessment for my visa, I was going to go through the ANMC website. Is this correct or should I be getting my skills assessed via the AHPRA site or is this for later down the line? If its the latter when in the process do I involve the ANMC?

Thanks

Liz

That's correct Liz skills assesment through the ANMC, you can get registered with the AHPRA.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Lisa

I got sponsorship from SA two months ago without being registered, I just explained what i knew of the AHPRA application process and also that it seems to take an age! seemed to do the trick!

Gill x

Hi there, I am new to the site and have been trying to find out about registering with a Diploma as i dont have the nursing degree. We are wanting to apply to SA for SS. Can this be done without registering as a nurse with AHRA. Would you mind telling me how you did this/your process. I am completely lost and was going to book to do my ielts, but cant afford to start booking tests and paying for registration if it will be a no go.

Would appreciate any advise, thanks so much

Donna

Guest Guest 47403
Hi there, I am new to the site and have been trying to find out about registering with a Diploma as i dont have the nursing degree. We are wanting to apply to SA for SS. Can this be done without registering as a nurse with AHRA. Would you mind telling me how you did this/your process. I am completely lost and was going to book to do my ielts, but cant afford to start booking tests and paying for registration if it will be a no go.

Would appreciate any advise, thanks so much

Donna

You don't need to register with AHPRA for state sponsorship but will need a skills assesment done in order to apply for state sponsorship have a look at the ANMC website for how to have your skills assesed, get your IELTS booked as you need it for a skills assesment.

You don't need to register with AHPRA for state sponsorship but will need a skills assesment done in order to apply for state sponsorship have a look at the ANMC website for how to have your skills assesed, get your IELTS booked as you need it for a skills assesment.

Thanks Harringtons for the info,

But is it worth doing if i only have a diploma in nursing, and 12 months post qualifying work experience (im a community staff nurse). I really need to get things going and know that ielts comes first - but do you know what to do next? is it best to go through an agency? (though they cost a bomb!) Sorry, but i am soooooo lost here! Just want to get going!!

Many thanks again

Donna:jimlad:

I really need to get things going and know that ielts comes first - but do you know what to do next? is it best to go through an agency? (though they cost a bomb!) Sorry, but i am soooooo lost here! Just want to get going!!

Many thanks again

Im not an expert and not an agent this is the way Ive read the system atm from my own research so far, the usual disclaimers etc. We have only got as far as IELTS so far. Ive you want to use an agent thats up to you check however that they are properly registered with DIAC

Your HE Dip from the UK should be ok with sufficient work experience this is assessed below through ANMC and AHPRA, the reason they are saying a degree is needed is that Oz dip nurses are EN whilst ours are RN

The steps needed (as I see it) will depend on whether you are going down the GSM PR 175/176 or Temp long stay Business visa 457 (Im not adding medical or police checks in this)

There are many other visa you could possibly get, these are just the two we have been looking at

For 457 (order as I see it others might have done it in different order)

Ielts> ANMC skills assesment for DIAC> AHPRA for nursing registration in Oz > Find a job > Apply for 457 visa.

(You might be able to find a job before AHPRA but they seem to be taking an age so its risky)

For GSM PR ie 175/176

Ielts> ANMC skills assesment for DIAC > Apply for GSM PR 175/176 under points system (this changes this year in July) They are quoting 12 to 24 months for this atm > AHPRA > Find a job

There is State sponorship available with people with sufficient experience ie WA but you need 7 years, SA atm looks like its only one year

Good luck

Ielts Test centres

IELTS | Search Results

ANMC site is here

Welcome to the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council Limited (ANMAC) | Australian Nursing and Midwifery Council

DIAC site for Nursing visa's

Doctors and Nurses - Workers - Visas & Immigration

DIAC for GSM PR's

Visa Options – Professionals and other Skilled Migrants – Workers – Visas & Immigration

Visa options for employeers (explains different visa's)

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/overseas-options.pdf

Taken from here AHPRA steps

Nursing In Australia - in Three Steps

Step 1 – Do your qualifications and experience meet the requirements of the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia?

In order to be allowed to work as a nurse, and before you will be able be considered for a migration to Australia based on the fact that you are a nurse, you will need to meet the registration requirements of the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia and the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).

There are five criteria that are used in assessing your application for registration

Criterion one - you must establish your identify. you will need to provide a range of 'proof of identity' documents.

Criterion two - you must meet english language proficiency standards. You must complete the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) examination with a minimum score of seven in each of the four components - listening, reading, writing and speaking. Or, you must complete an overall pass in the Occupation English Test (OET) with grades A or B only in each of the four components.

Criterion three - you must meet the current Australian nursing and midwifery education standards If you are qualified as a nurse in one of the following countries with a degree or a diploma* as well as further education, and you are registered as a first level nurse in one of these countries you will be deemed to have the equivalent qualification as a nurse qualified in Australia:

· United Kingdom

· The Republic of Ireland

· The United States of America

· Canada

· New Zealand

· Hong Kong

· Singapore

*If you only have a diploma from one of the countries listed above you will require an assessment of your further education or experience to determine if you are deemed to be equivalent to a nurse qualified in Australia.

Nurses from countries not listed above will require individual assessment to determine whether their qualifications and experience will be recognised by the Board.

Criterion four - you must provide evidence of having practised as a nurse or midwife within a defined period of time prior to submitting the application.

Criterion five - you must demonstrate that you are fit to practice in Australia.

You must prove that there has been no previous proven disciplinary proceedings against you, that there are no restrictions on you arising from mental incapacity, that there are no restrictions on you arising from physical incapacity, that you have no criminal history which would preclude you from working as a nurse or midwife in Australia.

What do I do if I don’t meet AHPRA’s requirements?

If you don’t meet the requirements because your qualifications or experience are not recognised, you might want to consider pursuing an ‘Occupational Trainee Visa’ or a ‘Business Short Stay Visa – subclass 456’ to allow you to undertake a bridging program to improve your skills. More information is available via the following links:

Sorry this post got bigger and bigger :SLEEP: hopefully it will point you in the right direction

Good luck

Guest Guest 47403
Thanks Harringtons for the info,

But is it worth doing if i only have a diploma in nursing, and 12 months post qualifying work experience (im a community staff nurse). I really need to get things going and know that ielts comes first - but do you know what to do next? is it best to go through an agency? (though they cost a bomb!) Sorry, but i am soooooo lost here! Just want to get going!!

Many thanks again

Are you a registered nurse in the UK? If so a diploma should be fine, my wife has a diploma in mental health done at Leeds Uni 14 years ago and we have been told this will be fine to register with AHPRA as she a registered mental health nurse.

Guest scotsnurse

Good info here guys. Thanks!

I am going to keep looking at this thread and update each stage so I can help others out too!

I am just at the start. Doing my itelts next month, then hopefully I pass then I will register, then do my skills assessment.

Still torn on a 175 or a 176.

Hmmm.

Guest scotsnurse

Good info here guys. Thanks!

I am going to keep looking at this thread and update each stage so I can help others out too!

I am just at the start. Doing my itelts next month, then hopefully I pass then I will register, then do my skills assessment.

Still torn on a 175 or a 176.

Hmmm.

Guest tandcmum
Im not an expert and not an agent this is the way Ive read the system atm from my own research so far, the usual disclaimers etc. We have only got as far as IELTS so far. Ive you want to use an agent thats up to you check however that they are properly registered with DIAC

Your HE Dip from the UK should be ok with sufficient work experience this is assessed below through ANMC and AHPRA, the reason they are saying a degree is needed is that Oz dip nurses are EN whilst ours are RN

The steps needed (as I see it) will depend on whether you are going down the GSM PR 175/176 or Temp long stay Business visa 457 (Im not adding medical or police checks in this)

There are many other visa you could possibly get, these are just the two we have been looking at

For 457 (order as I see it others might have done it in different order)

Ielts> ANMC skills assesment for DIAC> AHPRA for nursing registration in Oz > Find a job > Apply for 457 visa.

(You might be able to find a job before AHPRA but they seem to be taking an age so its risky)

For GSM PR ie 175/176

Ielts> ANMC skills assesment for DIAC > Apply for GSM PR 175/176 under points system (this changes this year in July) They are quoting 12 to 24 months for this atm > AHPRA > Find a job

There is State sponorship available with people with sufficient experience ie WA but you need 7 years, SA atm looks like its only one year

Good luck

Ielts Test centres

IELTS | Search Results

ANMC site is here

Welcome to the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council Limited (ANMAC) | Australian Nursing and Midwifery Council

DIAC site for Nursing visa's

Doctors and Nurses - Workers - Visas & Immigration

DIAC for GSM PR's

Visa Options – Professionals and other Skilled Migrants – Workers – Visas & Immigration

Visa options for employeers (explains different visa's)

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/overseas-options.pdf

Taken from here AHPRA steps

Nursing In Australia - in Three Steps

Step 1 – Do your qualifications and experience meet the requirements of the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia?

In order to be allowed to work as a nurse, and before you will be able be considered for a migration to Australia based on the fact that you are a nurse, you will need to meet the registration requirements of the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia and the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).

There are five criteria that are used in assessing your application for registration

Criterion one - you must establish your identify. you will need to provide a range of 'proof of identity' documents.

Criterion two - you must meet english language proficiency standards. You must complete the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) examination with a minimum score of seven in each of the four components - listening, reading, writing and speaking. Or, you must complete an overall pass in the Occupation English Test (OET) with grades A or B only in each of the four components.

Criterion three - you must meet the current Australian nursing and midwifery education standards If you are qualified as a nurse in one of the following countries with a degree or a diploma* as well as further education, and you are registered as a first level nurse in one of these countries you will be deemed to have the equivalent qualification as a nurse qualified in Australia:

· United Kingdom

· The Republic of Ireland

· The United States of America

· Canada

· New Zealand

· Hong Kong

· Singapore

*If you only have a diploma from one of the countries listed above you will require an assessment of your further education or experience to determine if you are deemed to be equivalent to a nurse qualified in Australia.

Nurses from countries not listed above will require individual assessment to determine whether their qualifications and experience will be recognised by the Board.

Criterion four - you must provide evidence of having practised as a nurse or midwife within a defined period of time prior to submitting the application.

Criterion five - you must demonstrate that you are fit to practice in Australia.

You must prove that there has been no previous proven disciplinary proceedings against you, that there are no restrictions on you arising from mental incapacity, that there are no restrictions on you arising from physical incapacity, that you have no criminal history which would preclude you from working as a nurse or midwife in Australia.

What do I do if I don’t meet AHPRA’s requirements?

If you don’t meet the requirements because your qualifications or experience are not recognised, you might want to consider pursuing an ‘Occupational Trainee Visa’ or a ‘Business Short Stay Visa – subclass 456’ to allow you to undertake a bridging program to improve your skills. More information is available via the following links:

Sorry this post got bigger and bigger :SLEEP: hopefully it will point you in the right direction

Good luck

for the 457 visa you dont need to do the IELTS if your secondry and nursing course were taught in english, you also dont need skills assessment for 457 either

Archived