old v new points application

Gaza

Hi,

Does any one know how definate the new points test, coming next July is?

Im in a dilema!

Just received my IELTS which means I will have(should have) enough points 70, to apply as an independant after July 1st .

At present I need to apply for state sponsorship to get the 120 required.(currently on 115)

Will they change the new points test requirements before July or could I wait to apply and therefore not be restricted to a certain state if successful?

I will be 40 a the end of July so start losing points again!!

Should I apply for WA state sponsorship anyway and hope to get that also?

if only we new.

Thanks

Gary

Guest AustrAnglian

Hi Gary, this is about the best write-up I've seen on the new points test:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

My app is now in (with SS although I originally intended to go independent) but for me personally waiting for the new test would have been too passive. The info from DIAC suggests this is their current thinking but may be subject to change, as is the new passmark of 65. DIAC have a reputation for constantly changing their minds and I've seen many on PIO who have gone in and out of favour a number of times. I lost points (MODL) for being too slow to apply which is why I needed SS.

If you have a viable option now and the strategy (SS application) isn't going to cost you much then I'd go for it now. Once you get the SS there may be better info out about the new points test and if you're lucky you will have a choice of proceeding quickly on the old rules or waiting for the new (which may involve you declining the SS). All the best and seasons greetings.

Guest Midlanders

Suggest you lodge your 176 visa before you turn 40. From what I understand (as we had to do the same before my OH was 40 last year). Your application is registered from the date you submit it . so you can still apply for ss in the interim and I think it should be back before not to long if you are on the states smp list.

With the changes you cannot change from a 175 to a 176 now... so if you want to go soon, 176 is your route in. ( if this is the type of visa your planning for)

Archived