How is Australia more expensive?

tracy123

I know I’m Australian so maybe I’m just a little to thick to understand but I’m willing to give it a try....

Now the way I understand how some people work out what is more expensive is they take an item, let’s say a tin of baked beans, now in Australia it’s $2 and in the UK it’s .50p.... So now we X 50p by 2.2 or 1.6 whatever formula seems to work best and that’s how we work out what’s more expensive where..... Now have I got that right?

So what happens when I move to Australia and my wages are higher or lower than the UK? Does the price of a tin baked beans really matter?

To me (and I know I’m a thick Aussie) but surely we should work out our weekly shopping then work out what percentage we spend in total to gauge what is cheaper. If we spend more on shopping, more on rent etc, etc, etc, but after everything is paid out of our wages we have more spare change wouldn’t that then make Australia cheaper?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest37336

I know I’m Australian so maybe I’m just a little to thick to understand but I’m willing to give it a try....

Now the way I understand how some people work out what is more expensive is they take an item, let’s say a tin of baked beans, now in Australia it’s $2 and in the UK it’s .50p.... So now we X 50p by 2.2 or 1.6 whatever formula seems to work best and that’s how we work out what’s more expensive where..... Now have I got that right?

So what happens when I move to Australia and my wages are higher or lower than the UK? Does the price of a tin baked beans really matter?

To me (and I know I’m a thick Aussie) but surely we should work out our weekly shopping then work out what percentage we spend in total to gauge what is cheaper. If we spend more on shopping, more on rent etc, etc, etc, but after everything is paid out of our wages we have more spare change wouldn’t that then make Australia cheaper?

No, to me it doesnt equate at all. Once in the country there is NOTHING you can do about it. Fess up mate, when I first moved many years ago all I ever did was say, 'Right, that's $5, so using £2.6 (it was back then Geoff :shocked:) to the dollar it is so and so.

It 'may' have a bearing before you leave looking on house prices etc, but in the main once in Australia it will make NO difference, it is what it is, as simple as that mate. You only spend what you have, and make the most of it.

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Guest Toorak Trev

You take your left over savings from your regular income and divide it by your income.

This then avoids all issues of exchange rates and different product/services and mix ie high accomodation versus low tranportation.

Say Australian income $100,000 (net)

Left over $10,000 otherwise put into savings

Provides ratio of 10%

Say UK Income GBP 50,000 (net)

Left over GBP 3,000 put into savings

Provides ration of 6%

Thus UK is more expensive

In my case the ratio is 40% Australia to 50% UK making Australia more expensive. However I find the additional 10% worthwhile for quality of life:cute:

Guest chris955

After a recent trip to the UK (sorry if I have said that before) I found many things more expensive back here. Food for an average person was most definitely more expensive. Petrol was more in the UK but was mostly cancelled out by registration and CTP costs here. Housing is expensive here whereas even 5 years ago it quite affordable. More lower paid familes seem to be struggling, this is what I am hearing in the news at least. Of course it depends on how much you earn which is the same both ends.

Guest guest37336

Chris.

It honestly makes NO difference mate. If we keep referring to the UK versus OZ reference prices then we are living in cloud cuckoo land, its about QUALITY of life.

I lived in South America for several months and lived on a tenner a day, and by God was I happy, not because of the lack of money needed, but the quality of life. The same could be said for Singapore, many months out there, but expensive, but again very happy at the time, because it was about the quality of life.

Simple as really mate.

Cheers Tony.

After a recent trip to the UK (sorry if I have said that before) I found many things more expensive back here. Food for an average person was most definitely more expensive. Petrol was more in the UK but was mostly cancelled out by registration and CTP costs here. Housing is expensive here whereas even 5 years ago it quite affordable. More lower paid familes seem to be struggling, this is what I am hearing in the news at least. Of course it depends on how much you earn which is the same both ends.

Work it out for you, on your wages earnt, not on friends not on what you hear..... You can have a guess that you maybe better off but until you're earning in pounds it's all pie in the sky.....

Chris.

It honestly makes NO difference mate. If we keep referring to the UK versus OZ reference prices then we are living in cloud cuckoo land, its about QUALITY of life.

I lived in South America for several months and lived on a tenner a day, and by God was I happy, not because of the lack of money needed, but the quality of life. The same could be said for Singapore, many months out there, but expensive, but again very happy at the time, because it was about the quality of life.

Simple as really mate.

Cheers Tony.

You can have quality of life where ever you live lemming, it is up to you, fantastic places you mentioned but so are Oz and the UK and the only thing stopping yourself having a great life anywhere is yourself .

Guest chris955

Yes you are quite right, for US the quality is in the UK as it offers us the things we want which this country doesn't. For others into beaches etc then obviously the quality of life is better here. I just see it as a bonus that the UK is cheaper for many things.

Chris.

Simple as really mate.

Cheers Tony.

Yes you are quite right, for US the quality is in the UK as it offers us the things we want which this country doesn't. For others into beaches etc then obviously the quality of life is better here. I just see it as a bonus that the UK is cheaper for many things.

Providing you're earning good money! :wink:

Guest guest37336

Hi Chris.

I will knock Australia when it needs it, and I often do. But once again you infer that Australia is only for those that loves beaches, please explain the etc bit after the 'beaches'.

How about the scenery, outback, wildlife, the people, the culture, the history, blah, blah, blah. Not everyones cup of tea I admit, but suits me as does the UK at times.

But I could say the UK suits those who love big houses and have a holier than now attitude, etc. But that would be unfair, because there is SO MUCH MORE.

Cheers Tony.

Hi Chris.

I will knock Australia when it needs it, and I often do. But once again you infer that Australia is only for those that loves beaches, please explain the etc bit after the 'beaches'.

How about the scenery, outback, wildlife, the people, the culture, the history, blah, blah, blah. Not everyones cup of tea I admit, but suits me as does the UK at times.

But I could say the UK suits those who love big houses and have a holier than now attitude, etc. But that would be unfair, because there is SO MUCH MORE.

Cheers Tony.

How about what the UK has to offer, the scenery, the wildlife, the mountains, the rivers the seas the people the culture the heritage, as I say quality of life ANYWHERE is in your own hands.

I give up. I'm off to stick pins in my eyes, its far less painful.:cool::eek:

Cheers Tony.

Why? you must agree quality of life is in your own hands no matter what Country you live in.

Guest chris955

I guess if that is what makes you happy then go for it, seems a bit weird to me. :wideeyed:

you tell me, I guess if you can't live a life, you can live it through someone else's :wink:

Archived