migration lawyer or do it ourselves

jodi73red

Welcome to PIO

That is a decision that you will probably have to take yourself. You will get a lot of help on here but it may not b professional help. What you should do is read as much as you can about the kind of visa you will be applying for, probably approach a couple of migration agents for an initial consultation and then take that decision.

I have applied for a 176 and decided to go with a Migration Agent. I chose George Lombard and I am glad I did cause he is good and that takes off the unnecessary stress that comes alongwith applying for migration. He posts a lot on here and if you do a search for his name, you will probably find him. His website is Welcome to Austimmigration | George Lombard Consultancy Pty. Ltd.

Hope this helps.

Guest Nando65
Hi there,

would love advise from anyone who has done the spouse visa for Australia. Do we use a migration lawyer or do it ourselves?

thanks and I look forward to replies.

Hi jodi73red

Can you let us know if you are based in the UK and applying here or are you in Oz already, so an off shore visa and are you going for a 309 temporary or a 100 permanent residency visa??

We used an agent, we are living in London, used a lovely Aussie agent, he works throughout the world, got our permanent residency in 4 months, if you would like further details let us know and we can explain all.

Best of luck with your application and if you want further details just send a private email, and more than happy to give you all the details. Our agent has been a god send, and a third of what prices we would have paid in London!!

Take care and all the best

Nando65 ( Jane and Nando):biggrin:

Hi there,

We didn't use an agent even though there were some questions over the medical component of our application. The guidelines and information on the DIAC website and PIO are excellent and given that the majority of the work involved us pulling together all the evidence we didn't see how much more an agent could add to the process. However we did talk to an agent prior to submitting with reference to the medical issues (partner only in remission for 2 years) and were advised that we could easily submit without an agent but if it came to an appeal then we would definitely need one. Thankfully it wasn't needed and the visa came through in under 4 months.

It is very much an individual choice as to go with an agent or not, however if you feel that your evidence is not particularly strong due to not having kept a lot of paperwork or you have been seperated for extended periods of time then it may be worth chatting to an agent. If on the other hand you have been married for 10 years with 2 kids and everything is in both names then I personally don't see the point of paying an agent.

Good luck with your application either way.

thank you all for the great replies

I am Australian and my husband of 3 years is English, we have two girls together and it is just him who will need the visa. We are in the UK, I have been told that as we have children he will automatically get the permanent visa. I think our application will be straight forward as he is serving British army and so has a detailed record of his medical and personal past.

Archived