Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'lawyer'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Moving to Australia
    • Visa Chat
    • Working and Skilled Visas
    • Family / Partner Visas
    • Visitor Visas
    • Studying and Training Visas
    • Other Visas
    • Repealed and Closed Visas
    • Shipping and Removals
  • Life in Australia
    • Citizenship
    • Aussie Chat
    • Household
    • Renting & Real Estate
    • Money & Finance
    • Education
    • Health
    • Careers and Vacancies
    • Kids Down Under
    • Pets
    • Socialising Hobbies Clubs Sport
    • Travel
  • Australian States & Territories
    • ACT
    • New South Wales
    • Northern Territory
    • Queensland
    • South Australia
    • Tasmania
    • Victoria
    • Western Australia
  • Partner Forums
    • Financial Advice: Ask Vista
    • Shipping Pets: Ask Pet Air
  • Moving to the UK
    • UK Chat
    • Education
    • Where to Live?
    • Money and Finance
  • PomsInOz Specific
    • Chewing the fat


  • Migration
  • Living in Australia
  • Jobs and Careers
  • Moving to Australia Real Life Stories
  • Money and Finance
  • Transport
  • Where to live in Australia?
    • Victoria
    • Queensland
    • New South Wales
    • Tasmania
    • Western Australia
    • South Australia
  • Backpacking
  • News
  • Forum Help

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



Found 31 results

  1. Hi all, This is my first post even though I have been a long time reader of the forum. Next week I am due to return to Melbourne from England with my Aussie fiancée and it seems I have run into a bit of a hurdle which is causing me some grief. I am struggling to find some answers so thought I would turn to this forum for help. Last September I began a GDL (Graduate Diploma in Law) from the College of Law with every intention of returning to Melbourne with my OH. I spoke both verbally and through email with The Legal Board of Examiners in Melbourne in regards to the proceedings once I graduated from my course. Through reading the uniform principle guidelines and through speaking with two people at the board, they assured me that after graduating I could send in my application for skills assessment where they said they would prescribe me around 6 subjects (from the list of about 11 I think) and then I could go on to do my practical legal training in Melbourne. So on this information our flights are booked and we are set to fly back to Melbourne next week. However on Thursday I sent the Legal Board of Examiners an email just asking a simple question and letting them know I was sending in my application for a skills assessment. To my surprise the email I received back caused immediate stress for my fiancée and I, the email stated that I was in fact not even eligible to to apply for a skills assessment as I had not completed a 3 year LLB in the UK or an LPC on top of the GDL, the email was sent by the very lady who told me only months earlier that all I needed to apply was a GDL. I would be so grateful if people would share their similar experiences or if they have been in the same boat. I do now know through further investigation that a GDL doesn't quite equate to an Aussie LLB but I find it hard to believe that my GDL [comprising of Tort, Contract, Equity & Trusts, Crime and Land (plus Public and EU law)] could possibly be completely worthless and make me ineligible for a mere assessment. It seems to me that if it doesn't quite equate shouldn't I just be prescribed the full list of 11/12 subjects? Because from what she has said it seems as though I am not even eligible to do that. I am MORE than happy to pay for and do all of those subjects instead of completing a worthless and expensive UK LPC on top of what I have already done I'm at a loss as to what to do now as the woman at the board has given me two contradictory pieces of information and as it is the weekend I won't get a reply until next week, and when you potentially have boxes to ship and possible flights to delay it is oh so stressful. If anybody has any experience of suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Also does anybody know how the Legal Board of Examiners vary from state to state? Am willing to do whatever it takes. Many thanks in advance for your help xx
  2. Hi All, I have applied for my 187 RSMS application in May 2016 when i was on bridging visa A and because of that i was granted a BVC with Nil conditions. In December 2018 my nomination and visa was refused that business doesn't need a manager. we appealed to AAT and i was given same BVC with NIL conditions and yesterday we have lost the appeal and now going for FCC and will have to apply for another BVC. My question is about working rights. Will it come with same working rights as my previous BVC ? or do i need to apply for work rights separately? i am asking all this because i need to make arrangements at my work place by giving them enough notice if i am going to loose my work rights for some time. Incase i need to apply for work rights by showing financial hardship, do i need to mention about my de facto partner name as my family who is on a student visa and not capable to supporting me or should i not mention about her, Is she my family in Australia?? Please please please help me by answering these couple of questions about my working rights when applying for a new BVC for my FCC for 187 RSMS application. thank you
  3. Hi I've have been thinking about requalifying as a solicitor in Australia in the future and was wondering if anyone on here could give some advice. Currently I am doing my traineeship in the UK to qualify as a Scottish solicitor which will be completed in 2023. I then plan to work for a few years to gain PQE maybe 2-4 years as I understand that this can help you find a job in Aus and can also help to reduce the number of courses etc you need to complete for a positive skills assessment. I was wondering what the best way is to complete the study requirements for the skills assessment. Is it best to move to Aus and complete the study say over the course of a year then apply for jobs when you are out there or is it easy enough to find work before being admitted in Aus then complete the studies whilst working. If you did choose to complete the study in Aus what is the best visa to do this? Also has anyone completed the studies from the UK before moving over? Would it be worth it getting a skills assessment after 2 years PQE in the UK then completing the studies before moving over to find a job. Also what specific documents can you submit to help reduce the number of courses you need to take for the skills assessment. It might be good to start gathering as much as I can at the moment and build on it before submitting anything. Thanks
  4. Good day I am looking for employment in Australia. I have Carpentry, Building Supervision, Sales and Marketing experience and my wife is a Lawyer. We have a 1 year old son and we are looking to move to Australia but we have no idea where to start. Any help will be appreciated. Armand de Klerk
  5. Hi all I couldn't see any general discussing on here in respect of migration to Australia as a solicitor. My position is as follows: I was called to the bar in 2008. I lived in Melbourne (working as a paralegal on a working holiday visa) from April 2009 - March 2010. I then cross qualified and have been admitted as a solicitor after 2 years with my current firm London (City firm - property litigation). I have always intended to return to Australia (probably Sydney). Before my current NQ position was confirmed I was applying for jobs in London and Australia and definitely had interest from Australian recruiters (although hadn't heard anything back from firms). I had intended to apply for an Independent Skilled Migrant visa if I was in this position, on the basis that I would want to return within the next couple of years anyway and the rules will change on 1 July (scary stuff). I'm now concerned that getting admitted in NSW (a criteria of that visa), while living and working in London, will prove too administratively difficult and also that I don't have time to do this and submit my visa application before 1 July. Also, it would obviously be far more straightforward to obtain sponsorship (to be employed as an Overseas Lawyer), then cross qualify with the support of a firm further down the line if necessary. Does anyone have similar concerns/issues? Is anyone else looking to migrate as a lawyer, or has anyone managed to do so? What is you experience of the job market for foreign qualified lawyers in Australia? Feel free to discuss this and anything else! Tips and advice appreciate, but also questions - I guess the idea of this site is can all help each other and - if nothing else - provide moral support! Thanks. Shelly
  6. Bethan Watson

    Work Extension Ending WHV Partner Visa

    LOSING MY MIND. Hired a migration officer. Lodged partner application a month and a bit before my 2nd WHV work place 6 month limitation ends. I love my job, and I can't imagine being without it. At the same time as lodging the partner application, I also got the lawyer to send away a Form 1445, which states in exceptional circumstances such as lodging a de facto visa I can extend. We've heard nothing. It's 2 weeks today before I can't work with my job any more...what's going on?! There was a mistake that the lawyer amended but she said it wouldn't make a difference, because she fixed it. Instead of June, I put May as my termination time. But she amended it before they sent it off. I thought they looked at them within 2 weeks, not waited until 2 weeks before the expiration of my work placement. Any one else with experience of this, could you tell me what to expect? I'm freaking out. :wacko:
  7. Hi, I am in my final year of an English degree in the UK. My partner is Australian and is in the forces so cannot move here. I am hoping to complete a GDL then move to Australia to practice as a lawyer, but I am struggling to find consistent information regarding the standing of a GDL over there. I understand that I will be required to do additional subjects, but am unsure of how many, the cost of this and how long this will take. I have spoken to the law admissions board of Vic and they stated that a GDL is considered to be of equal standing to a LLB. Then they will prescribe additional subjects then the full PLT. Is this information correct or am I really not understanding this correctly? Many thanks for any responses that may help me understand this a little better.
  8. Hi all, Thanks God that I have found such a friendly and informative forum. Could someone please provide some contact information on some really efficient and good lawyer who is capable to handle a complecated case? My situation is as follows: Age: 30 Education: B.Sc. degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering IELTS: 8.5 (indivisually more than 7 in all sections) Skill Assessment: Positive assessment on 263111 (Computer networks and Systems Engineer) for 4 yrs and 2 months I wanted ACS to assess my skills as Systems Analyst cause I wanted to apply as Independent (175), but they advised that my experience is close to 263111. Now, I must have SS, or cannot apply for OZ PR. I would like to assign a good lawyer for applying for SS. Another way might be get my skilled assessed as Electrical Engineer. But, I only have the degree on EEE, not any relevant experience.
  9. duffer34

    Immigration Lawyer Melbourne

    Hi Guys can anyone recommend the services of a good immigration lawyer in Melbourne CBD, or within 20k's of the city. Also i am in the process of adding my girlfriend to my 457 with the letter of support from my employer should i pay a lawyer to do this or is it very straight forward and something i should be doing myself. Any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks Nick
  10. Guest

    Trainee Lawyer

    Hi all, My partner and I are at the very early stages of researching our move to Australia however I am quite concerned about securing employment. At the moment I am a paralegal specialising in property law. I have all the qualifications to eventually qualify as a solicitor in the UK however I am not sure if these qualifications will be recognised in Australia. Also I have been told that law firms tend to employ those who are local to the area - even at paralegal level. Can anyone help me please? It is my dream to move to Australia however I am eager to continue with my legal career aswell!! Thank you in advance!! x
  11. derham

    Good Immigration Lawyer

    Hi I am new to this but does anyone know of a good immigration lawyer that doesn't charge a fortune or would I be better applying myself, what are the benefits? i am 44 and I turn 45 next March and I am looking to apply as a project manager (but I dont have a degree but loads of experience). Any help would be appreciated.:swoon:
  12. Hi, We have been here for 3 months on a 457 and LOVE IT! No time to waste please can someone (with 1st hand experience) give a recommendation for a proffessional immigration lawyer so that we can commence our perm res application. Thanks in advance
  13. jodi73red

    migration lawyer or do it ourselves

    Hi there, would love advise from anyone who has done the spouse visa for Australia. Do we use a migration lawyer or do it ourselves? thanks and I look forward to replies.
  14. i've got a serious problem with my visa. i really need a lawyer to sort it out, but how can I choose the right person from the directory? i'm staying at melbourne now
  15. Guest

    Visa / lawyer wanted

    Hi there my name is dougall i am keen to get some professional advice regarding staying with my partner in australia, I would like any reccomended laywers contact details as I am short for time and deeply in love and would like to get this situation ressolved asap any help would be appreciated
  16. We have had an offer accepted on a place in the UK but are still here in Oz (awaiting settlement spouse visa). We are due to sign mortgage deeds but our Oz solicitor will only sign if it's to witness, not to 'explain' it. Does anyone have experience with this to know what the documents require? Or know a UK lawyer in Oz who could assist? The house purchasing situation in the UK compared to Oz is crazy and we desperately need to sort it out so we can apply for schools etc. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
  17. Guest

    Migration Lawyer

    I know this is mainly an Australian forum but could someone recommend me a good New Zealand migration lawyer in Sydney? I've given up the wait for my Ozzy 175 to come through Thanks Phil.
  18. Hi everyone, Me and my partner been here 4 months, I have a very good job however no employers want to sponsor right now!! Plus there are so many employment agencies telling me different things. I need to see a migration lawyer who is approved by other people. Any advice?? also we are planning on doing our farming work for 3 months in July, we don't want to go to the scummy backpacker hostels, I’ve heard so many bad things about the owners and what they do to you, taking money from your wages, charging you high rates, and sometimes you don't even get work. We want to go with maybe a private farmer who doesn't use them and work for them. Even if it means working for free and getting food and accomm paid for. I'd rather do that then go the other way about it. Does anyone know of any good farming places you have been, where you have been treated with respect? Or of any farmers you may live near or know that do this type of thing? We're really hard workers and just want to stay in Aus and experience the outback!! I hope someone can throw us some advice :-) :err: Thank you Kim & Ryan
  19. mandymcqueen

    Immigration Lawyer Brisbane

    Does anyone know a good immigration lawyer in Brisbane, Sunny Coast even Gold Coast, I have heard about some rubbish ones but never any good ones and I need a Good one and very quickly. thanks Amanda
  20. As some of you are aware I am owed a lot of money from a "friend". I am now going to have to take this to court - something I have really tried hard to avoid. I have spoken to legal aid WA who recommend I get a lawyer involved. I am in England now, and therefore will need a lawyer to represent me in court - and save me flying over. I was hoping that someone on here may know of a good layer, that may be suitable for this case. I need a lawyer who is happy to communicate me email / phone rather than in person, and who has experiece of debt recovery. My next step is to look through the phone directory as I dont know anyone who has had dealings with any solicitors in Perth at all, but I would much rather use someone with recomendations. Thanks
  21. Hi guys, does anyone know any immigration lawyer in Sydney? If he/she got experiences in Defacto Partner Visa, that would be even better! Thank you sooooo much.
  22. Guest

    civil lawyer

    I need a good civil lawyer, need to sue a business for damages. Can anyone recommend someone in Mandurah? I wouldnt be doing this cause its against my belief, but I have really been wronged and the business has repeatedly lied and perjured themselves. Any help would be appreciated. Regards Robert
  23. Hi everyone, I am new to this form and to chatrooms generally but i am really stuck on my 175 visa application and I was wondering whether the collective brainpower of the forum might have the answer! I am doing a 175 skilled independent app. online adding the main applicant is fine but its unclear how to add the secondary applicant (i.e the spouse de facto partner or, as in this case, a fianee) I am assuming 'other family member' as this seems the only place ('migrating dependent doesn't give you the option to add a spouse). If this is the case, and my fiancee is added as an other family member I can't get past the question where it asks me about countries of residence for the last 10 years. i have an option to add my fiancee but when i do I fill out the box of the last address and hit' ok' but the details aren't added. it doesn't work and it won't let me move on with the form as it says i must include everyone over 16 but it won't let me!! Its really frustrating and thats why i htink perhaps my fianee isn't an 'other family member' but where else on the form would I add him. If anyone can help me with this i would be eternally grateful and more than a little bit impressed as noone so far has had the first clue. I realise that this is quire a specific and detailed problem but I can't be othe only one who has come accross this using this online form. Hoping there is anyone who can help. Nerak
  24. Guest

    Employment Contract

    hi, just wondered if anyone out there could recommend an employment lawyer based in UK (london pref)? We have been offered a job in Sydney on a 457 sponsored visa and need to get the contract reviewed by a lawyer with experiencein of Australian employment law and LAFHA. Have done many searches on google and forums but can only find recommendations to VISA agents and not lawyers. Any suggestions appreciated Thanks