One person importing 2 cars?

Phil & Vikki

I am looking to bring my classic car with me that was built in 1981. I have had a look at the forms and there is only a small part of it that needs to be completed for an older car (pre 1989 I think). This is my hobby car.We also have a family car (built 1994), which we would also like to also bring import. Phil is the registered owner of both the cars and the main name on the insurance (for financial reasons). So technically both cars are owned by him. Is there a way that we can import both as from what we have read, one person can only import one car. Would this rule still stand as one of the cars is an older one and does not seem to have to meet as much of the criteria as the newer ones. Or do the Australia government realise that one person in the family can have two cars against their name? Has anyone been able to do this, import two cars?

Guest TaniaandRob

We were looking at importing a classic car too - you need to be very careful and do your research. The car MUST be in fully origional condition with absolutly no changes or else it too will be required to meet modern safety standards just like a new car. Alas our classic was mistakenly crushed by the garage that was supposed to be repainting it so no more car... :sad:

Guest chris955

You are definitely not able to import both cars, the only way to do it would be to change one into your name but then you would have to own and use it for 12 months before shipping it. Leave the more modern car and bring the classic.

Hi all,

We are just importing hubby's van and Harley davidson to Perth and both are registered in his name. I spoke to the Vehicle Import people in Canberra and they said that if I sent in our marriage certificate that would be fine. All you have to do then is prove that you had access to use it so if you are a named driver on the insurance, surely that is proof?

We have had the permits come through with no problem.

KT xx

Hi all,

We are just importing hubby's van and Harley davidson to Perth and both are registered in his name. I spoke to the Vehicle Import people in Canberra and they said that if I sent in our marriage certificate that would be fine. All you have to do then is prove that you had access to use it so if you are a named driver on the insurance, surely that is proof?

We have had the permits come through with no problem.

KT xx

Thanks for the reply, that sounds great news and glad that you have been able to. We have tried to contact the Import people and have not had much luck. We agree with what you say about the insurance documents. At the end of the day lots of people have more than one car in one persons name and they are the family car's.Do you have any contact details for the Vehicle Import people that you were able to talk to?

Hi,

The number I phoned was 61 26274 7444 and email vimports@infrastructure.gov.au but I found all the staff to be helpful.

Canberra is currently 11 hours ahead so I was making lots of extremely early morning calls! I found it was best to call them between 3pm and 5pm their time otherwise I was always waiting in a queue.

Hope this helps and you resolve your problem.

KT x

Thanks for the contact details CKR. We emailed them about bringing in two cars (one being a classic and the other a none classic) and they replied with a yes one person can import both when they are the named owner. However, there seems to be more paperwork and hoops to jump through or the none classic (getting 100 points).It may be because the classic (pre 1989) can be brought in without any restrictions, where the none classic (2004) has to meet the regulations.

Hi Phil and Vicki,

Have a look at the following website link, it gives you all the info you need (Hopefully you can link to it ok, there are limits to what you can do on an iPad!)

Yes they do want lots of info, you can email rather than post but I found that as each email has to be no more than 10mb, some documents, especially the passport and police checks we sent were way more, it is easier to post it.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/general/pdf/VSB10_v011.pdf

Apologies if typing is rubbish, I have had a few glasses of wine to celebrate the WA SMP being released as oh occupation is on it! We are still waiting for his 457 to come through, it's a race to see which one goes through first now!

KT xx

Thanks for that CKR. We are going to take the TR for sure, but will have to look more into the C3. We had a look and you can get them for a reasonable price in Oz (for the year we have), so now we are just weighing up if it is worth taking it or not. But thanks for the replies, it sure will help us decide.

Archived