Employer Sponsored Visa - Help Please

jay290901

Can anyone help me..........If we manage to get to Oz (fingers and toes crossed) on a temporary employer sponsored visa is it then just a formality to apply for the permanent visa once we have been there for 2 years and working with the same employer for at least a year. My husband cannot get his skills assessed as he does not have a university education but lots of experience in his field. I have looked at the immi site and I believe that we only have to meet one of the criteria, i.e. the residency and employer timeframe bit but as with anything to do with visas I'm starting to question if I am understanding what I am reading. I bet you all understand where I am coming from.

Or would the employer be able to sponsor you right off on a permanent visa?

Would really, really appreciate any help on this. :unsure:

He works as a Marketing Account Manager for the Oil & Gas industry. On the Vetassess website for his occupation they require a degree and do not take into account any work experience. If they did, we would have lots of points. Migration agencies have confirmed that employer sponsor is the only option for us.

Guest Kim Hunter

Evening,

I've just check the SOL and 'Marketing Account Manager' is not listed for anything including Employer Sponsored migration (ENS) so that's a big problem. You have to nominate an occupation on the ENS list.

So you really need to consider what occupation on both the 457 list and the SOL for ENS he best fits his skills, experience and current job and go from there and pick an appropriate one.

Be warned this is a complex area when you're trying to avoid a skills assessment and work through to PR, and lots of traps for the inexperienced.

You're completely correct: after 2 years working in Australia in his nominated occupation and at least 12 months with his nominating employer he can apply for employer sponsored migration. However, he still needs to prove he has the necessary skills and experience for the position.

Hope that points you in the right direction,

Regards,

Hi Kim,

Thanks for your reply.

I have looked on the SOL list and the occupation is actually Sales and Marketing Manager which is also covered under employer nomination. From what I am reading, if we enter on a 457 visa then apply for pr after 2 years (1 year at least with nominating employer) then his skills do not need to be assessed as we only have to meet one of the criteria (residency, skill assessment or highly paid senior executive position). Forgive me if I am picking this up incorrectly but I have read and re read.

When we approached a migration agent in the UK we were advised our only way in due to lack of skills (qualifications, not work experience) being assessed was on the employer nominated visa. They didn't seem to think this would be a problem as my husbands job is in the Oil & Gas industry which we have been told struggles at times to find employees with his skills. Employement agencies have also agreed with this.

Appreciate your help on this one.

Guest JoanneHattersley

I came on a 457 and was sponsored by my employer for PR after 18 months. I am RN so I was fastracked too.

Thanks for that. Do you know anything about skills having to be assessed for the PR. OH can't have this done as his skills all come from work experience. If he manages to secure a job where the employer has exhausted all routes for finding someone in Australia and their own company does this make a difference?

Feel like I am going mad over this :arghh:

Trying to find out as much information as we can as our intention is to sell up completely and we don't want to find we are kicked out of Oz after 4 years.

Guest Kim Hunter

Sorry for delay in response ... had to get some shut eye ...

Yes, from the scant information you've provided, 457 then 856/ENS is the way to go, the only issue with employer nominated is the employer has to want to nominate you, there are obviously other issues too, but it sounds like your only chance.

On the information you've provided (and it isn't much to go on) that's the way to go.

best of luck

Archived