My 2c worth

NZStidz

Hi fellow PIOers! Just thought I would share my experience of emigrating to NZ 8 years ago - we are about to do the same again to Australia but reading some of the threads on here lately I thought maybe I could offer some advice, all only my opinion of course and I don't mean to offend - each to their own!

We sold up in England. Now I know it isn't always possible, especially with the market the way it is, but if you are emigrating then I would advise you to do it lock, stock and barrel. From what I have seen, those who keep a property in the UK often end up returning.

Also if you can afford it then ship as much of your stuff as you can, it is incredibly helpful in settling and there is nothing like having your own things around you. Obviously there is a large cost involved here but if you can, I'd say do it!

Don't compare. From the moment you arrive and start earning $$, converting every little thing you buy into pounds is irrelevant. You are earning $$ and spending $$. Change your money when you get here and don't think about it again. Lot of people talk about the "loss" they have incurred due to the less favourable interest rate. The only loss is in their heads as they may have done their calculations based on a better rate but they have not "lost" anything. The same goes for their house prices. Unless you sell and end up with less equity than you went in with, there is no loss, only perceived loss based on wishful thinking (hey, we've all been there). Yes the exchange rate is less than 2008 - and next year it may be even less, so suck it up and change those pounds!!

On that note, things are only "more expensive" in Australia if the ratio of cost to salary is greater. For example - food may work out the same if you convert to pounds however, if you used to spend 30% of your salary on groceries and now it is 50%, then it IS more expensive, same goes in reverse.

GET INVOLVED. Join the soccer club, surf club, mothers groups, anything that gets you in contact with other people. Chat to other mums at the school, invite them for coffee - be brave! You will probably find that some you like, some you don't, but it's a bit like dating, you have to get yourself out there! Someone once said that the best way to fit in to a community is to give - so volunteer where you can, at the school, library etc.

Embrace your new life and don't go on to the natives about England - they really couldn't care less. You are in a new country now and that should be your focus. Nothing stopping you reminiscing when you are with your pommie mates but my advice when with the locals is, don't. And praise their country - they will love you for it!

Again, don't compare. If you thought things would be the same as England then why on earth did you move??? Apart from being on the moon, you literally couldn't get any further away from the UK so it is a miracle that anything is the same at all!

Only emigrate if you REALLY want to. Don't do it to make more money etc. or as part of a master plan to return after 10-15 years. Really WANTING to move, and EMBRACING the changes and FOCUSING on the positives will make your move easy! If you have any doubts, don't do it.

OK - these are my experiences and my thoughts. Criticise at will. Hope I have helped!:cute:

Hi NZStidz.

Great post. No criticsim from me - what you have said is absolutley spot on.

Just as an aside, your journey is very similar to my brother's. He went to NZ first (got job offer) spent 8 years there, then came to join us in Adelaide where he intends to stay forever. So, good luck with your move - hope it all goes well for you.

Best wishes, Kazza

Guest Guest9973

Echoing Kaz on this - spot on post!!!!

Good luck on the next move!!!:notworthy::notworthy:

Can I shamelessly nick your post ( with reference to you) and stick it in Poms In Adelaide please???

Archived