NT - Darwin or Regional Costs of Living (couple pref.)

4lan

G'day,

I hope everyone is fine and "dandy"!

I'd like information on monthly costs of living in the Northern Territories.

Specifically I would appreciate some details of regular and adhoc payments specifically from those members with actual experience.

Examples of regular payments that would be helpful are:-

Mortgage/Rent

Water

Electricity

Gas

Tax (Rates/Council Tax equivalent if any)

Health Care (Including Doctors/Dentist/Opticians)

Insurance

House Buildings/Contents

Goods Insurance (ie, washin machine)

Funding a Car

Leisure activities

And so on.

I realise everyone is different and that all situations are unique but for me any figures are helplful in this regard. So in summary all pertinent post are welcome and appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

- 4lan.

Hello there,

I have lived in Darwin now for 14 months so can give you some indication of costs:

Mortgage/Rent - very expensive, can you expect to pay $800+ a fortnight

Water - unsure as hubby's employer pays ours but am sure its very cheap compared to other states and there are no water restrictions in the NT

Electricity - we are a family of 5 and pay roughly $350 a quarter......however we only run air con for a few hours a day, I have friends who use air con 24/7 and their bills range from $600 - $1200 a quarter

Gas - we don't have any

Tax (Rates/Council Tax equivalent if any) - not sure if there is any (we live in defence housing)

Health Care (Including Doctors/Dentist/Opticians) - doctors appointment costs around $80 and prescriptions on top of that, dentists you will need a mortgage for (a filling cost me $320)

Insurance - health insurance, we pay around $46 a fortnight

House Buildings/Contents - contents we pay $61 a month

Goods Insurance (ie, washin machine) - we have none

Funding a Car - rego every 6 months about $300 and car insurance around $50 fortnight, fuel is relatively cheap

Leisure activities - lots of outdoor swimming pools, pubs, restaurants, national parks, fishing

Cable TV - you can expect to pay $56+ a month depending on what package you want

Telephone and Internet - very expensive, our bills are roughly $200 a month and I rarely use the telephone

Food Shopping - very expensive in NT, recently compared a weeks shopping with tesco and we pay 50 pounds more here a week

Alcohol and cigarettes - very expensive if you smoke and drink, packet of cigarettes will set you back around $15

There are other costs which include sun cream, mozzie spray, mozzie coils, ant sand, cockroach bates which you will definately need and dont come cheap. I have based some of my costs per fortnight because the majority of employers here pay fortnightly.

Please be aware that living in the NT is not easy, there are lots of bugs and other nasties, the sun is fierce (uv index of 15) and the humidity is a killer. There are also cyclones and floods in the wet season.

If I can help with anything else let me know.

Julie

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Soma2100

Hello Julz

Thank u for ur valuable info, it helped me also.

I'd like to ask u another question about pharmacies there in NT as I've sent SS application to NT and they have told me it may take 30 weeks for processing!! Very long time as u see.

So can any pharmacy manager sponsor me for a temporary visa in NT or it's impossible for a pharmacist to get such sponsorship there?

Thank u in advance.

Soma.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived