Are expo's worth going to or is it just a con?

Guest Lucretia

Guest Lucretia

Hi,

I'm still considering traveling to Oz next year (or 2012), after a few stays in a few other countries first. I have a place to stay for a little while in Perth with a friend who has just moved over.

My situation is that I've never been to Oz so want to see what it's like. I'm also in the public sector here, so my job's not safe and tbh, I don't want to be that job next year if I can help it. Another point is, I used to be a software developer (suffered severe burn out) and have been thinking about going back into that, but I've not done any programming work for like 6 years, although I'm working on my own open source software atm.

Having scanned some threads here, it seems difficult to get any work due to no experience in Oz, so I was wondering if it's possible to get some work experience via these expo's and come over on a temp work visa? I'm 37, so a WHV is not viable, but also according to the Oz immigration visa wizard, only a permanent visa is viable for me, at an extortionate cost :eek: tbh.

I'm seriously stuck on what I should be aiming for. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Luke.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We went to the Leeds expo and we thought it was great, but.............. it is all false, you can't gauge a true feeling looking at a few videos and talking to people about wheres best to go, but........... its just a little bit more to give you a taste of living in the 2nd best country in the world, i would go and have a look.

We loved Perth we thought it was fabulous. Best of luck.

Guest Lucretia
We went to the Leeds expo and we thought it was great, but.............. it is all false, you can't gauge a true feeling looking at a few videos and talking to people about wheres best to go, but........... its just a little bit more to give you a taste of living in the 2nd best country in the world, i would go and have a look.

We loved Perth we thought it was fabulous. Best of luck.

Thanks, the intention is, when I get to Oz, stay in Perth for a bit, then see Melbourne and Sydney, and if possible go see another mate in Cairns.

Luke.

Hi Luke,

OH and I have been to a couple of expos but we haven't found even half as much info there as what you have at your fingertips on this forum. The best thing about any expo for us has been that they are a conversation starter. The last one we went to was aimed at pretty much anybody wanting to leave Ireland to go anywhere else in the world, so there was no real specific info for us. If you do go to any, I'd advise ones that are specifically for Australia.

If nothing else you'll come home with a bunch of free pens :laugh:

Archived