Moving to Hervey Bay

Tez

Sorry, forgot to say yes it gets dark at 6 pmish every night, they don't do daylight saving here, but the locals seem to adapt life by getting up early, sun rises for about 5am, so by lunchtime you've got lots done and still have half the day left!! Also, didn't mention the fantastic sight of the hundreds of bats that fly over the esplanade every evening on their way to Fraser Island!

xx

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks bear35 and tez. will keep investigating. When im not at work, I like to do things with the younger one such as mum and baby groups, music groups etc. Do you go to anything similar? i think it really helps to make new friends when you have a young childway fromhome and that would be more so if away from home.

Also are you aware of how Hervey Bay did with the flooding? Ive been looking on the internet but it's hard to see how badly affected they were.

I guess my only other anxiety is scary things, like redbacks, huntsman and sharks. Have you come across anything that worries you so far?

Thanks again

A

Hi Amanda12, there are quite a few mother and toddler groups I have been told but not done any of them yet but will do some when am a bit more settled. We go to a baby gym thing ,once a week and you can go to the library for a reading and activity hour each week , they are popular . Its pretty much like being in the Uk but you just have to go find things. As for creepy crawlies and sharks I am the worst ! scared of everything! But I have been in the sea with the girls (4 and 1) and have been advised by the locals where to swim and where not to. There are tiger sharks about but nearer the Fraser Island I think, as for spiders you see them up high in the trees so don't look up ! snakes are a bit dangerous but that is through the whole of Oz , we have not seen anything except for a couple of coackroaches and some Gecko Lizards .

As for the flooding ,Bear35 was here for that and I know that she said the only problem was the food getting through as the main roads into Hervey bay were flooded other than that nothing else.

I think we all worried about the spiders etc but everyone here runs about with bare feet etc and you just learn to get on with it .... time will tell for me on that one!!!!

Thanks for that Tez.

I've been googling, and realestate.com all yesterday!!

It does look beautiful.

I'm going to look at schools today.

I noticed your OH works in healthcare. Is that at the hospital in HB and if so does he like it (both of us in healthcare)?

Please could I also ask how the children are coping with the heat?

Sorry for all the questions. Hopefully that's my last. Thanks again.

A

Hi,

We landed in HB in the midst of the floods but I have to say it was a little safe haven! The floods started north of here, then west of here and finally south of us but the nearest to be affected was Maryborough. As Tez said the only way we were affected was by supplies not getting through! After the floods came the cyclone Yasi threat but as you know that ended up hitting further North so all in all we've been pretty lucky!

Bear 35

Hi Amanda12 , OH works in Private sector not hospital , its very medical here , no real NHS , he has only just started work so not 100 % on how its all going to work out at the moment .

As for the heat, the kids are ok , they get used to it pretty quick but my eldest has ezcma and came out in a rash from the moment she stepped off the plane and that has been a bit of a nightmare .Spent a fortune on creams etc .I find it pretty hot and according to the locals or those who have moved here it takes about a year to get used to the heat , glad i have come now as if i can in the heat of summer think it would have died! Just get the kids hats and uv t shirts for when they are swimming and its all good. Its been hotter than usual for this time of year even the locals have said so . But air con is a blessing!

Happy goggling .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bear35 and Tez

Thank you for all the advice, we have however decided that Hervey Bay isn't for us (although it sounds lovely).

On balance of lots of things, heat, humidity, job, etc it didn't stack up.

All the best to you with your adventures. :)

Guest Peter Carey

I wish you and your family well Amanda. Maybe you will drop in to the region somtime. Please let us know if you do. Best wishes,

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

I am moving over to Hervey Bay next week very excited... My boyfriend is already over there and found a house and settlled into his job etc.. I realise that the weather is good over there but does anybody know what the temperatures are like for witer. i Want to bring the right work clothes with me.. any tips welcome

Guest rackcatt

we leave tommorow, for hervey bay nightmare packing, got summer stuff few long tops jeans, rain jackets the rest i will need to buy till container arrives ...lol

we leave tommorow, for hervey bay nightmare packing, got summer stuff few long tops jeans, rain jackets the rest i will need to buy till container arrives ...lol

Yes it is, but you are over the worst of it.. I have shipped stuff aswell. More on the winter side..but a rain jacket wasnt something i had thought of.. Cheers .. Safe travels

Hi,

Hope you are looking forward to your arrival here, the weather is beautiful here at the mo and spending most of the bank holiday at the beach, such a hard life!! Wardrobe needs to consist of shorts, t-shirts, swimwear, trousers and tops for night-time. All the clothes in the shops now consist of winter stuff such as fleeces and flanette pj's, too warm for stuff like that!! Have been told that winter here is mild with the evenings getting a bit cool. Anyway, have a good journey and see you when you get here!

Bear xx

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

Hope you are looking forward to your arrival here, the weather is beautiful here at the mo and spending most of the bank holiday at the beach, such a hard life!! Wardrobe needs to consist of shorts, t-shirts, swimwear, trousers and tops for night-time. All the clothes in the shops now consist of winter stuff such as fleeces and flanette pj's, too warm for stuff like that!! Have been told that winter here is mild with the evenings getting a bit cool. Anyway, have a good journey and see you when you get here!

Bear xx

Hi there.. i have arrived and all and been here just over a week in hervey bay.. to me the weather is amazing except for yesterday.. think i have most of my clothes covered.. although check -in stopped me bring me one bag so will get that shipped over..the place is really beauftiful so looking forward to settling in and just love the idea of you being able to barbeque on the beach !! People seem really friendly aswell

Guest Peter Carey

So pleased you arrived safe and sound and enjoying the lifestyle so far. Sorry about yesterday, but today is picture perfect, a little cool for us locals but beautiful blue skies top temp forecast of 23C today and 10 overnight tonight.

So pleased you arrived safe and sound and enjoying the lifestyle so far. Sorry about yesterday, but today is picture perfect, a little cool for us locals but beautiful blue skies top temp forecast of 23C today and 10 overnight tonight.

To be fair im Irish, so i have no bussiness complaining about rain, i find the weather very very pleasant and was wondering at the time on sunday at 24 degress why we were the only 2 on the beach. Yes im off now to do another walk up and down the esplanade and enjoy my day!!

Guest rackcatt

Hi Clip clop

We have arrived 2 weeks ago, like you wondering where everyone is on the beach..we are staying in The Bay Apartments, on the esplanade in scarness....email me if you want to meet for a coffee, meet tez from here, hopefully meeting up with claire ( bear 35 )...been busying settling in and doing stuff so haven't meet anyone else yet...xx

Hi Rackcatt,

Can't believe we haven't met up yet! Hope you are settling in well. Have you got the kids into school yet? Hope you are enjoying the change in weather, although the nights are getting a bit cold!

Anyway, hope we can meet soon with Tez and family and possibly Rob and his family.

Take care,

Bear 35

• 5 months later...
Guest claire and clive

Hi!

I have been reading your conversations about HB and notice that a few of you must've arrived already!! We were granted a 176 last week and have been looking at areas in Qld. Hervey Bay looks great for us as we come from a little village in east sussex so are used to the quieter lifestyle and fields and greenery!! we are also 20 mins from the coast here so we do like the best of all worlds!!

It would be great if you could let me know how you have got on and what you think about your new home! We have a 5 yr old daughter who has just started school here and a 7 yr old son who has just started in year 3.......

We have seen a few properties that are set back from the beach a little so that my son can still fly around on his quad and they have beautiful views and a few acres! Could you also let me know if it is easy to rent a property with a pool until we buy????....and what you think of the schools. I have looked at the Fraser Coast Anglican school???

Also, we will be getting clive's cv out there for construction jobs like project managers etc but im sure he will have to travel to get work??? I am retraining as a teaching asst. at the moment, as I have been a full time mum until now, so will be looking for a primary school that may need little old me!!

Thank you guys!!

Claire:cute:

Guest rackcatt

Hi

We have been here 6 months now and loving it !!

When are you coming to Hervey Bay?

I will PM you some information on houses, schools etc x:hug:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to you,

We have been in HB since January and are loving it, year round sunshine!! We are myself, husband, son 8 and daughter 5. My son attends FCAC and my daughter will be starting prep there in January. We are very happy with the school but it is the most expensive private school in the Bay!!

There are not a great deal of rental properties with pools on the market, we have been lucky enough to get one but it is also on the market to sell!! It may be worth looking at complexes to start with as lots of these are furnished.

If your kids are anything like ours they will love life here in the Bay.

Want to know anything more don't hesitate to ask.

Regards

bear 35

Archived