Moving to Hervey Bay

Tez

Guest Rob WA

Hi Bear, we have been here for 3 months now, living in Urraween. My kids are at FCAC too. Mine are in yr 6 and yr10. Just thought I would say hi!

Rob & Karen

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Hervey Bay peeps!

So we have recently moved to the bay from Portsmouth, uk. Been here two weeks now and starting to settle and find our feet! Been enjoying the lovely weather, can't believe this is winter!! Nice to escape all the rain back home. :)

Not sure how often you all check on PIO but wondered if any of you fancy meeting up sometime? Be good to get to know some people in the Bay, esp people that have already been through the same journey as us!

Emma and Gary

xxx

Hi Rob,

How are things going with living and working in the Bay? Hope the kids have settled into school well, we are happy with FCAC!

Have you been out whale watching yet? We went out on Saturday, beautiful day if not a little bit choppy or dynamic as the skipper called it!!

Bear.

Hello there. Glad your settling into the `Bay`!!!

We have been here 6 years and the time has flown past.

There is a large expat community here and we all socialize on a regular basis. So drop me a line if you fancy a meet up for coffee/wine, always good to meet a fellow southener!!!!

Dont come on here very often so best pm me.....Regards

Angela

• 1 month later...
Guest brunettesrule

COOKSTER: I was hoping you could help me, seeing you have lived on the Bay for 6 years and have kids. Could you give me some advice on the high schools in and around hervey bay. My daughter is 15 and needs to go into Year 10 in 2013. As far as I have researched there are only 2 public high schools "hervey bay high school and urangan". Are these any good? I read that one has a bad reputation. Looking at private schools, but fees may be a bit of a stretch being a single mum. Advice on both public and private school would be appreciated. The rents look really cheap and nice houses on realestate.com.au

I currently live on the gold coast and it is getting too busy and too expensive. I just want a really decent high school for my daughter to end her senior years with. Can't find a decent one on the GC. I don't want to make the mistake of moving and then finding that the school is bad. PLEASE HELP!!!

What areas are good to live in.... I just want a nice (leafy/bushy) area with nice people who respect each other. I don't want to live in a rough area with hoons and bad young people. People are suggesting: pialba, kawungan, urraween, any other areas to move or not to move. How is the shopping there, is there aldi's, woolies, coles, big w, target or kmart?

Thanking you in advance for your help, and have a wonderful day. Jane and Jessica

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning Jany and Jessica,

Sorry about the delay in replying, dont come on much. If I can help in any way I will.

There is a large community of expats here in the bay. It is actually quite a small place and you will easily and quickly get to know your way around and meet people. What we have done in the past is have a get together at the local pub, kids aswell, and intrduce the newbies around!!! Its a good way of getting to know people and make some contacts......

As far as schools go there are two public high schools. My 2 went to Urangan High. My daughter left there 2 years ago and my son who is 17 is just finishing yr 11. They have both done very well there and my daughter achieved a very good OP score. I find it is no better or worse than UK schools. The kids seem respectful, clean and tidy, well most of them.......Makes me laugh, some of them kick their shoes off when they leave the school.... still cant get used to that!!! We live in Scarness, 8 mins walk to the beach as we have 2 dogs that like to swim most mornings. Hubby works 5 mins away and I work down the marina.

Kawungan and Urraween are a little way back from the beach and you will proberly have to drive everywhere from there. We are looking at moving to Urangan or Torquay at the moment to get a smaller place and a bit closer to the beach. If you are looking at rentals in Urangan stay away from Pulgul Street as its mozzie city. Pialba is the oldest part of the town, with some good and worse streets. You will see for yourself really but on the whole there arnt any really bad areas. And to be honest you will get hooning everywhere, but the police are very good here and are clamping down on it. There seem to be plenty of rentals at very good prices, compared to the Goldie!!

Shopping...... Hummmmmm Aldi, Target, Woolies, several of them, Coles, Jaybe Hifi, several surf shops.... Big w, but no Kmart, yet!!!!

Anymore thoughts please PM me.

Angela x

• 1 year later...
Guest Guest26110

HI all, we arrived in Hervey Bay a month ago from Suffolk, with our four children, 19, 18, 9 and 4. We had never been to Hervey Bay just did lots of research and fell in love with it over the internet. Hervey Bay is living up to our expectations, its great here, feel at home already. We have had a busy month, have a nice rental in Urangan, our two eldest have found jobs and son is happy at the Urangan Primary school. Waiting for our container to arrive, so looking forward to that. Just wanted to say hi to you all living here in the bay :-)

HI all, we arrived in Hervey Bay a month ago from Suffolk, with our four children, 19, 18, 9 and 4. We had never been to Hervey Bay just did lots of research and fell in love with it over the internet. Hervey Bay is living up to our expectations, its great here, feel at home already. We have had a busy month, have a nice rental in Urangan, our two eldest have found jobs and son is happy at the Urangan Primary school. Waiting for our container to arrive, so looking forward to that. Just wanted to say hi to you all living here in the bay :-)

Hi there, glad to hear you are enjoying the Bay lifestyle, we've been here nearly 3.5 years and love it! Our two kids go to Urangan Point Primary, my boy is 11 and in year 6 (he's a student leader) and my girl is 7 and in year 2 so they may have seen your boy around school! Our two also love the school, the headmaster is very proactive! Great to hear your eldest have got jobs sorted so soon, not an easy task here, we came over sponsored by my work and have since bought a business that my husband runs from home and after 3.5 years of renting we've finally got a home of our own again and moved in last long weekend :smile:. Anyway, hope you continue to enjoy the Bay life and if there's anything we can help with just let us know!

Guest Pommie1

I have been reading all the comments on this post and they have all been very helpful. I am in Aus already but hoping to move up to Hervey Bay.

I just have one question.... Mozzies and midges?? Are they really that bad? How far away from the creeks should you live to keep them at bay? Both seem to LOVE my English skin.

18 months ago I was staying north of Brissie and I was being bitten so badly I had considered going home to the UK...I just couldn't take it.

Any help on this would be awesome! Thank you :)

Archived