13 y old girl moving to Canberra...2011.

Guest emasnwy

Guest emasnwy

Hi PIO,

My name is Sophie i`m from the UK,and early next year i`m moving to Canberra with my family....just wondering whats it like ie schools and things to do..:biggrin:any info will be good.........

Hi Sophie

Well it is going to be about as different from North Yorkshire as you can get. Canberra is quite a big place with lots of suburbs so it all depends on whereabouts your parents will be working and where they will be able to get a house.

At 13 (assuming you dont turn 14 before 30 April) you will be going into year 8 in 2011 and that is the second year of HS. Almost half of ACT High Schoolers go to private schools - the Catholic system is big and if you want a girls only HS then there are two to consider - St Clares and Merici, but your olds may want to consider going private whereas they may not have done in UK. Some government schools are better than others and some go from Kindergarten to year 10 (all depends where you live) so can be quite big. All schools have school counsellors who are there to help you if you have trouble settling in (I am sure you will be fine!!!). Kids can leave school when they get to 17 and pretty much everyone does year 12 these days. Canberra is unique in that all the gov students go to College for years 11 and 12 - separate from HS, unlike the rest of the country. There arent really any main assessments until you get to College and even then, the ACT has a system of continuous assessment rather than big exams. Most Canberra kids then go to university in the ACT - we have 3 unis, Australian National University, University of Canberra and the Australian Catholic University so there is some diversity.

There is a lot to do - we have great facilities (more Olympic size pools than the whole of UK at the last count), lots of different activities so you can play sport, do artistic or dramatic things, do bush related stuff, etc but pretty much all of them will cost mum and dad something!

Year 8 girls are probably the same the whole world over - boys, boys and, did I say? boys feature really highly in their priorities so I hope you are interested in relationships but then, you will get girls who are passionate about their sport or their drama or something else and it will be a matter of finding those who have the same interests as yourself.

Canberra is set beside a range of "mountains" - hills, actually, which are quite different from your N Yorks mountains - ours are rugged and tree covered and there are 3 big hills almost in the centre of the ACT - one of them has a huge tower on it (the telecom tower) which looks like a space needle! We arent close to the beach but 3 of the town centres are built on pretty big lakes (some schools have rowing clubs if that is an interest) so there is water.

Weatherwise, Canberra is good for seasons. Also, we have periods of drought where everything gets very dry and they restrict your water use however it seems that we are out of that now and everything is very green at the moment. Summers are generally very hot and winters are pretty cold (-7C is not unusual in the mornings but the days usually get over 10C).

I am sure you will be fine and I hope that you enjoy Canberra.

thank you for all that info it has really helped :laugh::cute: did u move from n yorkshire ?

No, but I visit a friend just outside Settle every time I come for a holiday (like now). My son also worked in Catterick so we spent quite a bit of time on that side of the Pennines as well. It is a truly beautiful part of the country and wild in its own sort of way. I'm from Cambridge.

were looking to move to queanbyen (think thats how ya spell it ) have u heard of it ,would it be a good place for kids

Probably not as good education wise - it is generally considered, as the Aussies say, "bogan" which means it is a bit more hick and less sophisticated. Many Qbn parents try and send their kids to ACT schools (as a parent I dont know that I would be that keen on either Karrabar or Qbn HS to be honest but your olds will have to go and check that out themselves) - they dont always succeed though as the schools have to take ACT kids first.

As an older person I wouldnt mind living in Qbn because it is more NSW country town than the city but I dont know that as a teenager I would be that enamoured of it. However, I am sure that your parents will do whatever travelling is needed to ensure that you get all your interests covered and Canberra is but a short bus ride away.

It's actually Queanbeyan Queanbeyan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Nik_Kershaw (on this board) lives there so can give you the low down.

• 1 month later...
Guest emasnwy

hi ,i,m the same we are doing meds on the 31st and are now moving to perth instead of canberra ..were are u moving to:biggrin:

Guest sparkey
hi ,i,m the same we are doing meds on the 31st and are now moving to perth instead of canberra ..were are u moving to:biggrin:

Hi Sophie

its jordyn..., on my account now..., i was on my mums earlier... (ecilpse)

we dont know where we are moving to yet...

=]

x

:laugh:

Guest emasnwy

we have to go to manchester to get ours done,not looking forward to it :eek i,m on my mums too ,so u dont no were ur going in austriliamy dad always wanted to go to perth my dads a mechanic .its very scary thinking of leaving all my friends... sophie :

Guest sparkey

had them done now...

it was wierd...

(this is my own one now) (jordyn)

have you had them done now or are you still to have them done...???

=]

x

Guest sparkey

we went to edinburgh...,

we couldnt find our hotel...

it was so funny...,

it turned out we were just down the road from it...,

seriously...,

dont trust satnavs...

=]

x

Guest emasnwy

no we got tomorrow ...what was it like wat did they do .we are setting off at 6 in morn cos we live in yorkshire and its like 2 hours from us i,m not looking forward to it ..sophie

i will have to set me own account up cos i,m on me mums

Archived