Shipping our stuff on a pallet?

Goochie

At work, we bring in containers and individual pallets of goods in from China all the time so I thought sending a pallet loads of our stuff down under would be easy.

However, when we visited the down under live show recently, the shipping companies told us we have to put everything in special boxes - One of them said "what's a pallet?"

It would be personal possessions, DVDs, a couple of mountain bikes etc.

I think we could easily get them securely packed onto a pair of standard pallets.

Has anyone here had experience of making such a shipment to Australia?

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Goochie

I am not sure about pallets but I know people who have just shipped single boxes over. I had a client who shipped over around 70 boxes and he said it worked out a lot cheaper than using a removal company, I am not sure though.

Hi Goochie,

We recently sent 4.5 CBM boxes to OZ and yes, our shipping agent mentioned that we can put them on pallets.

But they advised against it since anything made out of wood would most probably need to be fumigated and this would mean that we have to pay for that.

So instead, we just packed everything in strong cardboard boxes, put an address on all of them and gave the boxes a few rounds of strong tape.

So its your choice mate, but we did not use pallets due to fumigation.

Cheers

B!K3R

Again it sounds like the shipping company you spoke to diddnt know much about pallets - We bring in stuff from China on plastic pallets for this very reason. You can use wooden ones but they need to comply with ISPM15 which, basically means the wood is pressure treated to prevent bugs making their home in the wood.

I've just found this company GOOD PACKING - Packaging Materials, Packaging Supply, Crates, Cases, Cartons, Pallets Who are based about a mile from where we live. Their wooden cases look good and I imagine they'de withstand being opened and inspected by customs a lot better than cardboard boxes on an open pallet.

I'll try and get some prices from them this week and post what I can find out.

Again it sounds like the shipping company you spoke to diddnt know much about pallets - We bring in stuff from China on plastic pallets for this very reason. You can use wooden ones but they need to comply with ISPM15 which, basically means the wood is pressure treated to prevent bugs making their home in the wood.

Aha....you're right there mate! They never mentioned plastic pallets!

Good to know!

Cheers

B!K3R

Archived