Melbourne Cat Curfew

weemster

Have a look at this web site Responsible Pet Ownership Program > Home also contact the local council for information.

On the Peninsula where I live we have to keep our cats confined to our property all the time, keep them in at night. Not let them go over the fence to the people next door etc. They also have to be registered.

Some estates have covenants that prevent ownership of a cat. So if looking at new housing or housing in the last say 15 - 20 years these covenants do exist. Waterways at Mordialloc does not allow cats.

Have a look at this web site Responsible Pet Ownership Program > Home also contact the local council for information.

On the Peninsula where I live we have to keep our cats confined to our property all the time, keep them in at night. Not let them go over the fence to the people next door etc. They also have to be registered.

Some estates have covenants that prevent ownership of a cat. So if looking at new housing or housing in the last say 15 - 20 years these covenants do exist. Waterways at Mordialloc does not allow cats.

Thank you for this.

There is lots of good information here but sadly there is nothing I can find anywhere on the web that states which areas operate a cat curfew. Ideally I would like to find out before hand without a phone call to Aus from Blighty.

Guest Guest31881

Can you email the local council in the area you are looking at?

Most places have at least a night time curfew and a lot have a regulation that the cat has to stay on its own property.

You should keep your cats inside at night, whether there is a curfew or not. They kill to many animals, even in the city and it isn't necessary for them to be out.

LOL, as a climate officer I like your suggestion. But your conclusion is quite wrong. Each (non-wild) cat tends to kill 2 or 3 vertebrate animals every night. So that is about a 1000 animals every year per cat.

There are also risks to the cat of course, snakes being more active and the cats fighting each other (often in my backyard, joy, and I like and owned cats, so I am not a cat hater, but I had them picked up by the council, they kept me awake). And cars.

Best to keep them inside at night. The cat won't mind and you probably don't notice the difference anyway.

The birdies will thank you! and the garden too, as the cats only get the quiet birds which causes in increase in pest birds such as blackbirds that tend to not be nice to your garden.

LOL, as a climate officer I like your suggestion. But your conclusion is quite wrong. Each (non-wild) cat tends to kill 2 or 3 vertebrate animals every night. So that is about a 1000 animals every year per cat.

There are also risks to the cat of course, snakes being more active and the cats fighting each other (often in my backyard, joy, and I like and owned cats, so I am not a cat hater, but I had them picked up by the council, they kept me awake). And cars.

Best to keep them inside at night. The cat won't mind and you probably don't notice the difference anyway.

The birdies will thank you! and the garden too, as the cats only get the quiet birds which causes in increase in pest birds such as blackbirds that tend to not be nice to your garden.

Interesting fact and a good last point. We have had quite rare birds in our garden but never for a sustained period (only blackbirds and sparrows....which are lovely but not quite the same as a nice Goldfinch). In your experience does the cat make the transition to living in easily

bearing in mind they are mainly out at night and in during the day in Uk).

There are no official cat curfews in the suburbs you mention (we are in Armadale) but most people seem to keep their cats in at night. I keep ours in at night for their own safety. There is also no requirement to restrict your cats to your own property 24 hours a day as there is on the Mornington Peninsula. If a neighbour complains about your cat going onto their property, you then have to keep it off, which may become a problem. We have been lucky, with our neighbours becoming very fond of our cats. There are restrictions on the number of cats you can have. Our council limits it to two. If you want more, you have to apply for a special permit which your neighbours have to agree to. Cats have to be registered for which there is a charge.

Getting our two cats shortly after we arrived did help us all to settle in and feel more at home. Good luck with yours.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Weemster

I haven't been on the panels for some time now but we were always asked for our input in to the domestic feral and nuisance animal act. What I do know is that there are not many councils around who do not have a curfew and Melbourne will soon see all councils with a cat curfew in place (they are aiming for 24 hours). You can take a look at the Domestic Animal Management plan for Port Phillip Council.

http://www.portphillip.vic.gov.au/default/CommunityGovernanceDocuments/Domestic_Animal_Management_Plan.pdf

if you look at item 2.5 of the above plan you will see they are (if they haven't already) considering the cat curfew.

Personally I think you have to proceed as though it will happen. I do know people who still allow their cats out even if a curfew is in place in their area, however, please be aware that the neighbour is legally entitled to hire a cat trap and take your cat to the pound. Unfortunately, unlike dogs cats are not easily reunited with their families and I had the terrible job of putting to sleep the cats that fell ill during their time in the pounds. One good thing is because you are emigrating the cats will be microchipped, however when you arrive you need to contact Central Animal Records to update your details (you can go in to any veterinary clinic who will scan your cat and complete the form with you). Also coming from the UK the chip that will have been used will be ISO which means that our scanners over here will pick it up no problem.

Personally I am not going to get in to the debate of whether a cat should be kept indoors or outdoors, however, they do say that an indoor cat lives a lot longer than an outdoor cat.

Hope this helps

Kate

The term 'cat curfew' doesn't necessarily mean cats have to be kept inside all the time. In Stonnington, for example, the council is considering a dusk to dawn curfew. It may be that other councils considering a cat curfew have this option in mind rather than a policy of restricting cats to their owners' properties 24 hours a day.

well, just cause your cat doesn't (when you are awake and know what the cat is doing, she might up and leave once you have), doesn't mean the average is wrong. Could well be a cat that kills 6 animals, and that would keep the average on 2-3.

which is why I said 'tends to kill', it is not the same as 'must kill every night to keep the average up'

Archived